To balance, or not to balance? That is the question!
Dec 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fenixdown110

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's the next stage of my upgraditis. Is the difference switching from unbalanced to balanced that great? I was thinking either getting a separate amp to bypass the amp in my Carat Emerald or upgrading to the balanced Matrix mini-i. I would eventually get a Musiland 01/2 or M2Tech Hiface to up the bit rate input on it. What would you guys recommend I do? Will I really be able to tell a difference between the two even without the amp?

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 21
Going balanced is great. You have to take your time to think about your system.
Are you getting a balanced amp or a balanced DAC as well?

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 21
The Matrix mini-i I'm thinking of getting is already a balanced dac with an added amp. Of course, later I would like to run it a true balanced amp, like the β22 amp and σ22 power supply. Or perhaps the WA22 if I can afford it.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 21
That's a good plan, I don't know much about the Matrix-mini is it fully balanced?
Also you may want to consider a Buffalo 32.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 21
Yes. Its fully balanced with a multitude of inputs of outputs to effectively connect anything to everything and vice versa. It looks like a Bel Canto clone.
biggrin.gif
Its also only 350 shipped, which makes it very appealing.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mat...hp-amp-441960/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/matrix-24-192-balanced-dac-438499/

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 21
1st upgrade should be your source. Just got back from Seattle mini meet today. lessons learned: use computer as source VS. mid~high end CDP. Computers don't stand a chance. CDP won easy, I did not have to finish one song to notice.

We downloaded one CD to imac's hard drive VS same CD played in my Meridian.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 21
Yes it looks very nice, you can't go wrong for $350, and will give you a good starting point. The next step prior to the β22 amp and σ22 power supply might be one of the balanced Little Dot amps.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 21
You have to sift through the hype and there’s a lot of it, IMHO the differences between balanced and single ended are relatively small.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st upgrade should be your source. Just got back from Seattle mini meet today. lessons learned: use computer as source VS. mid~high end CDP. Computers don't stand a chance. CDP won easy, I did not have to finish one song to notice.

We downloaded one CD to imac's hard drive VS same CD played in my Meridian.

So what DAC did the computer utilize?

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Matrix mini-i I'm thinking of getting is already a balanced dac with an added amp. Of course, later I would like to run it a true balanced amp, like the β22 amp and σ22 power supply. Or perhaps the WA22 if I can afford it.

Just for your information, a balanced setup of β22 is well over $1k , even if you assemble it yourself.
If you have that much, i'd rather get a tube amp, and some other headphones to play with.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to sift through the hype and there’s a lot of it, IMHO the differences between balanced and single ended are relatively small.

I have found out that there is a marked diference between balanced and SE.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by devast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for your information, a balanced setup of β22 is well over $1k , even if you assemble it yourself.
If you have that much, i'd rather get a tube amp, and some other headphones to play with.

Yes, I agree. FWIR, the differences aren't significant. A direct comparison quoted this: "The balanced connection had lower background noise and sounded a little more direct. Now, whether those difference are attributable to the design of the difference circuits or simply the fundamental differences between balanced and unbalanced connections, using the balanced analog outputs on the Matrix mini-i DAC produced a cleaner quieter sound than its unbalanced brother." However, that's not a huge gap between the two. I think I'll just stick with what I have now and get a decent single ended tube amp and some more cans to play around with.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Now what amp should I get? DarkVoice 336SE, LDMKII, Phenix G3(improved triode Earmax clone)?

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

So what DAC did the computer utilize?

I'm interested in knowing as well. I might end up changing my dac to one that has spdif/bnc and optical in.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found out that there is a marked diference between balanced and SE.

And how did you arrive at that conclusion? I’m not having a go at you, but an opinion without a strong case to back up your experience doesn’t hold much water.
There are benefits from balanced, whether they equate an audible difference is disputable and unpredictable.

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

And how did you arrive at that conclusion? I’m not having a go at you, but an opinion without a strong case to back up your experience doesn’t hold much water.
There are benefits from balanced, whether they equate an audible difference is disputable and unpredictable.

I have not done any scientific tests.
I can only report what I have heard from my gear when I run SE versus balanced all the way from source to HP's,
Please understand these are my findings, other people have other experiences which I am very happy to accept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back