tmx's budget speakers pick of the week: onix x-ls
Apr 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 17
I just received a pair of Onix X-LS along with T-amp + 3 amp regulated power supply. Not only am I pleasantly surprised with the sound (lots of detail, deep soundstage, and good separation), but I also have no issue with clipping the amp. I am listening in the near field though (speaker a little over 1 m apart, I am less than 2 m away). In a bedroom, this ought to be enough if you don't listen overly loud.

I have listened to quite a few sub 3k bookshelf/amp systems with some preferences toward Quads 12L and Spendors S3/5 or 3/1P. But frankly, I did not expect those kind of results for less than $250 for the speakers + amp + cables (ok, the Meridian and Stealth driving the amp probably contribute greatly but still)!

I feel though there's probably quite a bit of artificial detail, which makes for the exciting sound. But, it does not come through as harsh, disconnected treble (which I really can't stand). So, it yields quite pleasing results actually.

Arnaud.

Apr 26, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #17 of 17
This speaker is being sold practically at parts cost. The (independant) designer has stated that av123 is using this as its calling card and will not advertise it, but blow it out for cheap. And those in the diy community can tell you that as far as the retail cost of the parts go, this is selling for below parts cost, especially taking the cabinet into consideration. There's a lot more in this speaker than most $1k speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back