Tips for controlling Focal earcup spring tension
Feb 26, 2022 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Quadrangulator

Head-Fier
Does anyone have any tips for controlling, loosening or perhaps removing the spring tension of the Focal Elegia earcup hinge? I've got a new Elegia, and the top of the earcups do not seal and leave a small gap because of the spring tension. Assuming this is the same as the Celestee and possibly other Focal headphones.

May 7, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 15
I've replaced the stock earpads with ZMF Universe suede pads and mounted them with adapters I harvested from Dekoni velour pads. The softer ZMF pads create a better seal and are more comfortable overall for me because of the thicker, angled foam and larger opening.

I also opened my the earcups (easy to remove the screws with a small phillips head typical for working on computers) and noticed the springs could be removed with a bit of jiggering. Cutting the ends might help relieve tension but not sure. I didn't go that rout because I found the aftermarket earpads worked well enough for me.

The Elex are the same.

May 7, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for getting back so fast I was told to get Dekoni Stellia pads day one and those helped a lot but I still was not getting a seal. I just took them apart and saw the same a spring on each side for both left and right so I removed all 4. Oh man problem solved what a huge difference and they aren't pinching me at the bottom anymore either. Really easy to take apart and I was not expecting a pcb contact board for the driver very nice to work on.

May 7, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Clamping force is all but gone but I do not wear these during any activity but sitting and tipping my head back for a puff or sip of coffee. They feel far better now the seal is perfect. When I would wear them before I would always fidget with them or squeeze them a bit to get the seal. I had thought these were relegated for classical and strings but they are very useable now. I got them on Adorama for 370 on sale and for that price they are great cans just need some tweaking. I had initially thought of bending the headband but all my research shows it now being a contiguous metal headband inside so that was a no go. Last note the cups return to the same position as before I thought they would be more wobbly with no springs but the gimbles seem to hug them well and most of the weight is towards the bottom so as far as I can tell there is no lose for me with no springs.

May 7, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for that detailed feedback. I might try removing the springs on mine later this weekend.

Typically, I prefer light clamp force. But I like a little clamp to keep the headphones on my head while I get up and make a cup of coffee, do dishes, or other light indoor activities such as that. Mostly I use them on the couch for music listening or gaming, though.

I hesitate to bend or modify the headbang, too. I would have preferred if Focal would have added a duvet in the center of the padding how Sennheiser did on it's 600 series. If they or someone made an aftermarket headband such as that, I'd have a go at replacing it since it looks like the headbang is held on with the same screws as the earcups. Shirt of that I don't want to break it.

I do like the Focal headphones overall though. Got mine for 515 on Amazon a few months ago. A little more than the Adorama deal, but I wanted the Amazon return policy in case I didn't like them. I still think they're a good deal at the 500 price point. Looking forward to tinkering with the springs and hearing how removing or modifying them might adjust the sound for me.

May 7, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Mine still have enough clamp for me but it all may vary just a tad for you. I tried to remove one spring per side at first and then none and found I liked none better. You already know they aren't very hard to take a part so it can't hurt to give it a shot. I agree at 500 they are still great and I was going to buy them for 479 on Amazon were it not for a guy on drop I was chatting with who also suggested the Dekoni pads which I am also very happy with. I also like Focal so far but only have the Elegias and am very apprehensive to spend over 500 for cans I listened to my buddys Focals clears and while they sounded great all I heard were diminishing returns. 500 and below is my spot for now. I just got the Deva pros from Amazon for 330 and am in love with them using the R2R Bluetooth is very nice I cannot hear a difference using it vs the 2.5 balanced output its wild.

May 8, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 15
I took all four springs out, and the seal and low end are much better now. Huge improvement. Will try on my Elex later.

On the Elegia, I tested removing the springs one at a time in the left earcup and listened to a 100 Hz sine wave, which sounded in the center with all four springs but sounded panned left with one and both springs out of the left earcup. The gap between the top of the pad and my head was also much less with the springs removed. I left the pins in, however, and the cups still return to their natural position but without the tension. Clamp is a little less but is still enough to stay on my head when making a cup of coffee.

Glad I tried this, and I would recommend it. To correct one of my posts above, the screws are actually six-sided star heads and not Philips. Most mini screwdriver sets should include this but worth noting should others want to remove the springs.

May 8, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 15
Yeah I am glad this worked out well for both of us, I hope anyone else with Elegias and this issue stumbles upon this thread. So as far as the Elex's go how do you like them? I know they are open but how do they compare to the Elegia?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 15
I enjoy the Elex a lot. They extend lower in the sub base and have more natural mids and highs plus more soundstage. Same build and comfort but with a beautiful blacked-out colorway. The Elex are pretty much what I wanted but didn't get from the Sennheiser HD 600 series. I think that if you like the Focal build but want an open headphone that tonally is more in line with Sennheiser but with more soundstage — not a ton but more — and better frequency extension, then the Elex would be a good choice. I enjoy them for music and gaming later in the evening when it's more quiet in and around my place and I want an open headphone.

I have to say, though, I am really enjoying the Elegia now that the springs are out. I didn't realize I needed to pull the pin out to remove the spring the first time I opened up the earcup. I thought I was supposed to force it out, but given the price of these things I didn't want to force it too hard so I left them in at first. On the second try I realized, yep, pull out the pins with some needle nosed plyers, slide out the yoke a little and the springs slide right out.

Additionally, I'm using the Toneboosters Morphit plugin's Elegia correction preset at 50 percent in Equalizer APO, which I find pulls back the Elegia's forward mids enough to remove the mid-range boxiness and push the sound a little more towards the Elex. Totally recommend trying if you're into EQ.

May 9, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 15
I see the Elexs' on Drop for 750 and am always thinking of getting them or Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed at 479 but they are out now. I am a fan of everything about the Focals now minus the stock cable. My Elegias came with the rubber version which was so stuck with right angles it was un-useable. Used an old cable management trick and hung the cable from the celling and hit with the heat gun. Its nice and straight now and noticeably more pliable as well. I am pretty new to the hobby about a year now and listen to everything from one of 4 AK Daps. I fell in love with the build of AK but as far as software I am in the stone age. I use Tidal but as far as any other apps the AK players are pretty old school. I was using EQ when I had the spring and seal issue but so far I am very happy with them and no EQ now. I EQ my Mezes and my Master Dynamics but other than that I am a bit scared of the EQ lol. May I ask what you are using primarily?

May 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm using an Ifi Hipdac right now but have a JDS Labs Element III arriving tomorrow.

I've been into this for a little less than a year now after using gaming headsets for many years and pro audio headphones (DT-770, K240M) before that.

I received the rubber cable with my Elegia as well. It pokes my neck unless I rotate the connectors correctly so the kinks angle out. The cable looks great (love the connectors) and doesn't transmit sound but is a pain otherwise. The Elex has the older vacuum-cord style wrapped double cable. I have not tried it yet because it comes with 1/4" and XLR only, and the Hipdac is 1/8" and pentacon balanced only, but I'll give the 1/4" cable a try with the Element III later this week.

For music listening, I use Amazon for its FLAC streaming and also play a lot of games on the PC with Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

I also purchased a set of Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X recently and like them a lot. The Aeon has a very different sound than the Elegia. The Aeon is much softer with more extension on the bottom. It's like the low end is set back a couple feet but goes way deep when needed. I also find it easy to listen to for long sessions because it's softer and has less attack. The planar sound might not be for everyone, but I enjoy it, and it's an enjoyable changeup from Focal's sound siganture.

May 10, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 15
So I'm at work today and a buddy owns the clears. I asked him to bring them in so I could do a comparison with the Elegias. I was curious how much better they really sound for 1000 more in price I mean clears are a grand now I guess if you can find them but they were 1500. I was also curious about his spring tension. He does have the springs in his, they feel just like ours did but for whatever reason on theses it's no issue. I am guessing the perforated pads and them being open may relieve that issue. I gotta say I like this cable much better it looks better as well. The clears do sound better they have a wider sound stage for sure but if I had 1500 and was given an option to buy either I think I'd pocket the 1000. I am going to get back to you on the thread above I just wanted to show you this. Loving my new AK SA700 as well the new viridian green case is pretty.

1652191336380.jpg

May 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 15
I'm using an Ifi Hipdac right now but have a JDS Labs Element III arriving tomorrow.

I've been into this for a little less than a year now after using gaming headsets for many years and pro audio headphones (DT-770, K240M) before that.

I received the rubber cable with my Elegia as well. It pokes my neck unless I rotate the connectors correctly so the kinks angle out. The cable looks great (love the connectors) and doesn't transmit sound but is a pain otherwise. The Elex has the older vacuum-cord style wrapped double cable. I have not tried it yet because it comes with 1/4" and XLR only, and the Hipdac is 1/8" and pentacon balanced only, but I'll give the 1/4" cable a try with the Element III later this week.

For music listening, I use Amazon for its FLAC streaming and also play a lot of games on the PC with Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

I also purchased a set of Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X recently and like them a lot. The Aeon has a very different sound than the Elegia. The Aeon is much softer with more extension on the bottom. It's like the low end is set back a couple feet but goes way deep when needed. I also find it easy to listen to for long sessions because it's softer and has less attack. The planar sound might not be for everyone, but I enjoy it, and it's an enjoyable changeup from Focal's sound siganture.
I am always moving around so I invested all my money so far on DAPs and cant see shifting anytime soon although something with tubes just peaks my interest so maybe something one day. I am definitely sick of AK players so I am looking at the new Hiby R6 as a more modern DAP as far as android operating system is concerned. I am using Tidal Hi-Fi myself they have a veteran discount at 11.99 and I have not had any issues so far. I have heard the ATMOS is amazing that's got to be sweet for games. I will definitely be getting a pair of those Dan Clarks for sure I hope they will be on drop again for 379 and also that I haven't just spent my money on something else. I just bought a pair of Hifiman R9D's so I will let you know my thoughts once they are in. Other than that the Meze 99s are on drop again so I will be getting a pair of those as well. People talk some smack about them but they are a very fun headphone with superb construction you know sometimes a fine whiskey is best but other times you just want a beer that's how I feel about them anyhow. So far this hobby has bit me very badly not as bad as watches but pretty bad so far I love music and well variety is the spice of life.

Forgive my unstructured paragraph its just a run on reply.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back