Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #151 of 1,162
Quote:
But these DAC's seems to be fine for headphones that have impedance < 32 Ohms, right?

Low impedance headphones are harder to drive for sources that have a low current limit and/or high output impedance. If the device was only designed to drive line inputs with kΩ range impedance, then you may also get increased distortion, or rolled off bass (if there are output capacitors that are too small for a low impedance load).

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #152 of 1,162
They are developing a new desktop DAC soon, cant wait!

using ES9018 chips.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #154 of 1,162
My UD100 just arrived, it took 9 days to get here. Not bad!

I'll post my thoughts when I decide on an amp to pair it with.

beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #159 of 1,162
Quote:

Hmm.  Hard to say.  I have an ODAC that is cased up by itself with RCA outs which I really like, as it stacks nicely with my O2.  The UD100 is better for travel since it is the size of a thumbdrive.  If I could only have one instead of both, I think I would still take the ODAC, due to the slightly better soundstage and separation, and very much due to the form factor for my particular listening habits.  I am at a desk nearly all day long so a portable setup isn't a priority.  Roughly $100 separating the two, and while   the ODAC definitely isn't 3x or even 2x better when you look at the price, the money was worth it for me to have the desktop implementation.  I still need to do more critical listening tests to really get a feel for the UD100 vs ODAC vs HDP (which has a differnt Sabre DAC chip in it IIRC) differences.  

That being said, I am still surprised by how dynamic and fun the UD100 paired with my Cmoy sound.  

BTW, this is what my UD100 looks like now:  

Can you do more detail comparison between U100, Odac and HDP?

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #160 of 1,162
I was just a newbie when I was last active around these parts but I'm getting back into this, sorry wallet!

With that said, I was pretty decided on the ODAC+O2 for my first DAC and amp, until I found this thread. Having read through every page and reading that the UD100 sounds very similar to the ODAC, I'm leaning towards this now, especially with the price difference.

I'm most likely going to get mahogany cups for my SR80i's and a new cable (stock cable is broken), then in a few months replace the stock drivers with Magnums.

Having read that the UD100 measures very well against the ODAC, who's focus is all about measurements, along with the lower price and size, it's got me sold. I'm a sucker for the color yellow and the UD100 in yellow heatshrink looks awesome to me too.

The only other two candidates for me are the iBasso D7 and the HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC - only because they can handle 24/96.

I'm pretty set on the amp if I don't get the D7, which would the cmoyBB 2.03 - customized for low impedance headphones. I really don't think I'll be needing anything more powerful because my hearing isn't the greatest in the world and I don't think my Grado's need anything more.

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #161 of 1,162
Quote:

I'm pretty set on the amp if I don't get the D7, which would the cmoyBB 2.03 - customized for low impedance headphones. I really don't think I'll be needing anything more powerful because my hearing isn't the greatest in the world and I don't think my Grado's need anything more.

UD100 + cmoyBB + SR80 = pretty awesome budget rig! I'm glad you're thinking sensibly. A lot of people that are new to the game don't choose the budget underdog but go straight for the high profile Head-Fi advertisers. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #162 of 1,162
Quote:

UD100 + cmoyBB + SR80 = pretty awesome budget rig! I'm glad you're thinking sensibly. A lot of people that are new to the game don't choose the budget underdog but go straight for the high profile Head-Fi advertisers. 

Agreed.  My breadboarded cmoy and UD100 are an incredible budget setup and can do most people quite well until they start chasing that upper maybe 20% that gets spread out over hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of upgrades (perceptions of a low-mid fi guy).  Really, I think it is the strength of the Saber DAC chip.  It seems that all three levels of its implementation are quite good values.  

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #163 of 1,162
Thanks guys, you're only solidifying my decision even more. I've had my 80i's for close to 3 years now, maybe 4....I've always ran them unamped out of my MBA and iPhone and loved them, but I can hear my USB port is noisy, but yea, thats why I know I don't need some expensive amp.

I might wreck my wallet though and splurge on a used RS1 in a few months instead of frankensteining my 80i's.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #165 of 1,162
Plug and play. Any modern OS should already have the driver inside the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back