Time for new IEMs (UK, £40-60)
Jul 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

snowyweston

New Head-Fier
So I've given up on fixing my eggos, my makedo CX300II died in an accident with a pint and now I'm suffering the uncomfort and uninspiring sound of the pair that came with my Clip...

It's time I treated myself. And since one of my mate's has finally joined the mp3 generation with his first Nano, I find myself looking for the two of us.

The thing is, there really are just too many choices in this buyers market. I mean seriously, a thread gets started and twenty people post twenty replies with twenty alternatives. But I'm going to give a go anyway - and I'm perhaps going to make it more difficult by aiming for two people with one model!

I'm certainly the more discerning in terms of sq wise, but fortunately we generally listen to the same music, which if heaped into one genre would be "dance". I generally take a harder edge; Dubstep over his preferred Breakbeat, Dub over Reggae, Hip Hop over Electro, etc.... when things slow down we then seperate a bit more, where he likes Classical & Opera I like Jazz & Ambient. "Universal" will probably be a key sonic charateristic to any IEM bought.

Like I said, I've done a fair amount of thread-trawling but the thing is, despite leaning toward the RE0 (despite ABI's less than glowing review!?) I'm still not convinced by the "cons" being mentioned in regards their bass. As a measure, it took me a while to adapt to the "depth instead of bloat" of my (now diassembled and unused) MDR-D66 but in the end I was well and truly won over and not once did I ever think I'd never another pair of headphones.

As you can imagine, when I stuck CX300II's in I was dissapointed by their portly sound. Can anyone here compare the RE0's sound to the Eggos (IEM vs headphone differences allowing) ? Or reccomend a pair that might do what I'm looking for?

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 4
You can get a real bargain on Panasonic HJE900s at the moment at Play.com - a tenner above your top end amount but still thirty odd quid cheaper than at Amazon.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9267626/Panasonic-RP-HJE900E-Ear-Canal-Headphones/Product.html

Not tried them myself but others are raving here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502289/panasonic-rp-hje900-zirconia-review

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Hmmm - interesting.

Years ago I went through two pairs of panasonic headphones pre-eggo and liked their sound back then, so the resounding reviews of these is promising, especially this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt 

The HJE are definitely punchier and faster than the RE0, but I don't know about "warmer" - the HJE have more (sub)bass and a slightly more recessed midrange - I would call them more "natural" instead of "warmer".

...they are a little dearer than I had hoped to spend - certainly on IEMs for a player that cost half the cost - and I've long thought if I'm going beyond £50 then I might aswell go a bit further on and get the Denon AH-D1001 I've eyed up as eggo replacements for an age.
confused.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm pretty sure Dfkt, who wrote that review, uses a Clip for his testing - its a good solid little player that punches above its size and cost, so pairing it with a nice iem is actually a good idea....the single biggest upgrade you can make in portable situations is with headphones, so thats where the money should go I reckon.

Quote:
Hmmm - interesting.

Years ago I went through two pairs of panasonic headphones pre-eggo and liked their sound back then, so the resounding reviews of these is promising, especially this:

...they are a little dearer than I had hoped to spend - certainly on IEMs for a player that cost half the cost - and I've long thought if I'm going beyond £50 then I might aswell go a bit further on and get the Denon AH-D1001 I've eyed up as eggo replacements for an age.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back