Time for a new IEM
Apr 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Veritas94

New Head-Fier
Alright, so I'm really new to serious listening. I've always loved music, but have just now begun to realize that all my earbuds have sucked pretty badly. Cheap skullcandy ink'd buds, and some cheap Panasonic buds have been my staple pretty much.

So I've just recently ordered a pair of Mc5 IEM's from amazon, hoping it's a good upgrade from what I'm used to. I have a very wide variation of music, but more of it is metal and classical. I haven't heard the most positive reviews about these, and now it's got me kinda worried about my purchase. I wasn't sure about the HF5 because of the money and I wasn't so sure I would even like the sound, so decided to go with something a little less costly.

Question is, is there anything better i could have ordered that might be more accommodating to my tastes in music? I wanted something analytical, with crisp detail, and not all treble, or too much bass(bass is pretty much on the low end of my requirements because most earbuds I've tried are really bassy and muddy sounding.) and decent mids. I want the vocals to be as clear as possible, but not thin sounding. Would I be satisfied at all with how the mc5 sounds? Noise isolation is also very important.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Alright, so I'm really new to serious listening. I've always loved music, but have just now begun to realize that all my earbuds have sucked pretty badly. Cheap skullcandy ink'd buds, and some cheap Panasonic buds have been my staple pretty much.

So I've just recently ordered a pair of Mc5 IEM's from amazon, hoping it's a good upgrade from what I'm used to. I have a very wide variation of music, but more of it is metal and classical. I haven't heard the most positive reviews about these, and now it's got me kinda worried about my purchase. I wasn't sure about the HF5 because of the money and I wasn't so sure I would even like the sound, so decided to go with something a little less costly.

Question is, is there anything better i could have ordered that might be more accommodating to my tastes in music? I wanted something analytical, with crisp detail, and not all treble, or too much bass(bass is pretty much on the low end of my requirements because most earbuds I've tried are really bassy and muddy sounding.) and decent mids. I want the vocals to be as clear as possible, but not thin sounding. Would I be satisfied at all with how the mc5 sounds? Noise isolation is also very important.

From your requirements above, I would suggest checking out the W4R.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

The MC5s are rather warmer and leading transient notes aren't as sharp or crisp. While they do sort of fit your criteria in a sense, can't help wondering if the E30 or the HF5 or maybe even the RE-400s might have served you better proficiency-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back