Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Nov 10, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #1,832 of 1,853
On iOS, try MConnect Player Lite. I just tried it and was able to stream Qobuz and Tidal over UPnP. The interface is confusing. Login to your Qobuz/Tidal account in the Browser tab.
The free versions of the UPnP streaming apps have some kind of limitation. Bubble UPnP limits the number of tracks one can put on the playlist, and even in the payed version, streaming is limited to 16/44.1.

I use the payed version of MConnect Player (for Android). Apple store also has it for $5.99. As @rkw mentioned, the interface is confusing indeed, but the integration with UPnP servers/streamers is top notch. It conveys the files in the correct bitrates and sampling frequencies (and it is even capable of unfolding MQA, for those who are interested in this dying format).
I use it with the MoOde Player streaming software on Raspberry Pi, and it works wonderfully. I have tried it in a number of streamers and it has always worked fine. It also does Google Cast/Chromecast, but only in 48KHz.

UPnP streaming apps are indeed useful, but they are a workaround. I wish Tidal Connect was as free and simple as Spotify's...

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #1,833 of 1,853
The free versions of the UPnP streaming apps have some kind of limitation. Bubble UPnP limits the number of tracks one can put on the playlist, and even in the payed version, streaming is limited to 16/44.1.
On free BubbleUPnP, I can stream Qobuz at 24/192. However as you say, the free version limits the play queue to 16 tracks.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #1,834 of 1,853
This is a cool and honest disclaimer by Tidal.

Screenshot_20231229_114901_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg

When using a Bluetooth device, the bitrate and sample tag stays grey with an info sign that, when pressed, shows that message.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,835 of 1,853
Tidal allow external USB DAC for Android app is great by itself. Wish there is some EU rule that if music streaming company offered any Lossless Audio streaming they must implement external DAC support for their Android app.

Or else Android must provide system wide SRC bypass for older version as some patch and Bit-perfect audio for newer version.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #1,836 of 1,853
Ok guys maybe someone here can help. Some say that Tidal via UAPP has better sound quality than the native Tidal APP. I am very skeptical that this is correct considering the device (a DAP) is native bit perfect. Any opinions on this?

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #1,837 of 1,853
Ok guys maybe someone here can help. Some say that Tidal via UAPP has better sound quality than the native Tidal APP. I am very skeptical that this is correct considering the device (a DAP) is native bit perfect. Any opinions on this?
Never heard of it. I will try it, though, and I'll come back with my impressions.

I use UAPP to stream Tidal via UPnP to a raspberry pi with Moode audio, which allows for the mqa and the high resolution files to pass through. This allows for a "better quality", indeed, as all other solutions will only stream mqa or 16/44. As for listening with a dongle dac and a smartphone or a dedicated dap, I find it hard to believe the UAPP solution sounds better than the native app.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #1,838 of 1,853

My opinion is that bit perfect is bit perfect and (assuming no other sound adjustments) that they should be the same. Of course that depends on whether the device is actually native bit perfect with either the Tidal app or UAPP. Not all DAPs are.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #1,839 of 1,853
Never heard of it. I will try it, though, and I'll come back with my impressions.

I use UAPP to stream Tidal via UPnP to a raspberry pi with Moode audio, which allows for the mqa and the high resolution files to pass through. This allows for a "better quality", indeed, as all other solutions will only stream mqa or 16/44. As for listening with a dongle dac and a smartphone or a dedicated dap, I find it hard to believe the UAPP solution sounds better than the native app.
My opinion is that bit perfect is bit perfect and (assuming no other sound adjustments) that they should be the same. Of course that depends on whether the device is actually native bit perfect with either the Tidal app or UAPP. Not all DAPs are.
This is also my point!

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #1,840 of 1,853
The main purpose of UAPP is to bypass Android's resampling of audio output to 48kHz (for example, you can't play hi-res from Qobuz). Android 14 adds an API to support bit-perfect streaming, but the player app (such as Tidal or Qobuz) must be updated to use bit-perfect mode, and I don't think they have done it yet.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #1,841 of 1,853
The main purpose of UAPP is to bypass Android's resampling of audio output to 48kHz (for example, you can't play hi-res from Qobuz). Android 14 adds an API to support bit-perfect streaming, but the player app (such as Tidal or Qobuz) must be updated to use bit-perfect mode, and I don't think they have done it yet.
Yes, I know that too. But if my Android DAP is native bit perfect and so in Tidal, there are no differences, right?

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #1,842 of 1,853
if my Android DAP is native bit perfect and so in Tidal, there are no differences, right?
You can verify whether it is bit perfect by playing music with different resolutions on the Tidal app. If you connect it to a DAC and it shows the resolution changing, then I would assume it is bit perfect and would not be different from using UAPP.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #1,843 of 1,853
You can verify whether it is bit perfect by playing music with different resolutions on the Tidal app. If you connect it to a DAC and it shows the resolution changing, then I would assume it is bit perfect and would not be different from using UAPP.
This is exactly the answer I was looking for, and what I expected myself, thank you very much!

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #1,844 of 1,853
My understanding was that Tidal was moving away from MQA to FLAC and existing MQA albums would be replaced with FLAC versions over time.

I have of course seen a big change to proper transparency with what the FLAC files actually are but I have not noticed any songs in my playlists change from MQA to FLAC.

Tidal also seems to be continuing with offering specific MQA playlists which to me indicates there is no short term plan to ditch MQA.

I am not much bothered either way but was curious if anyone had noticed any signs of an active move from MQA to FLAC as was previously indicated rather than just better transparency with respect to song files.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #1,845 of 1,853
My understanding was that Tidal was moving away from MQA to FLAC and existing MQA albums would be replaced with FLAC versions over time.

I have of course seen a big change to proper transparency with what the FLAC files actually are but I have not noticed any songs in my playlists change from MQA to FLAC.

Tidal also seems to be continuing with offering specific MQA playlists which to me indicates there is no short term plan to ditch MQA.

I am not much bothered either way but was curious if anyone had noticed any signs of an active move from MQA to FLAC as was previously indicated rather than just better transparency with respect to song files.
Without doing an accurate count, I believe about 50% of the hi-res tracks in my playlists have switched from MQA to FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back