Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #571 of 5,209
Following up on my own post, for the benefit of others who may have experienced the same problem trying to import Spotify Playlists:

I opened a ticket and had several communications back-and-forth with the Tidal Help Desk.  This was their initial reply on 3/18:

"Spotify recently updated their desktop application which changed their links from http to https. When you paste the content copied from your Spotify playlist into a blank document, you can do a find (https) and replace it with http. Then you can copy the http links to your clipboard, then use the Spotify importer in the TIDAL desktop application."

I followed their instructions without success, and reported the results back to them.  Their next status report to me on 3/19 was as follows:

"At this time we are working on many changes with both our databases, and web. For instance we have a scheduled maintenance period today for 6 hours. I have provided you with an additional 7 day trial so that you can try to import your Spotify playlists again once we have resolved these various issues. We hope to have everything running smoothly by tomorrow."

And this was their most recent followup to me today:

"At this time we do not have an ETA as to when this feature will be resolved. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

As a result I have canceled my subscription to Tidal.  I'll try it again if/when they resolve this issue.

Quote:
  I am trialing Tidal, and having the same problem importing Playlists from Spotify.  I have gotten a little bit further than you with the help of Tidal Support, but it's still not working.

I was getting the same error as you (i.e., "Could not find a playlist on the clipboard. Try again!"). Tidal Support told me to first copy the Spotify playlist links to a Word doc, do a search-and-replace to change the "https" to "http" for each link, copy the links from the Word doc to the Clipboard, and then do the import.  For me this results in a new error when I use the Tidal Import feature: "An error occurred. Didn't find any tracks to import".

Interestingly, the amount of time that elapses before I receive the message ("An error occurred. Didn't find any tracks to import") is a function of the number of links in the clipboard.  With a single link in the clipboard, the error is displayed almost immediately.  With a large list of links in the clipboard (e.g., 1000), it can take several minutes before I receive the error message.

I've communicated this new information to Tidal Support but have not yet received a response.  Would love to hear if someone has figured this out.

Dave

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #572 of 5,209
It's been 4 days since my last post. Been using the service with zero issues. Everything plays quickly when I choose my music. Of course, the most important part, the lossless quality is absolutely amazing. Couldn't be happier. I'm sticking with them. I'm located in Houston. All of my internet connections are fiber. I rarely have used my phone network for most of my listening, but it was fine as well. 

Some cons
-Playlists: we need better playlists. Tidal needs to hire some folks who get some really great music packed into their playlists. Right now, the playlists are mediocre at best, with some music totally not belonging to the music category. Reminds me of early Pandora channels....hodgepodge
-Music Recommendations: they need to improve the functionality of finding artists and albums similar to the music I'm in the mood for. I find that I spend more time trying to find artists similar to the song I had just listened to, than actually listening to music (unless off a playlist). Tidal has an 'other albums' section for each artist you view, but it pretty much brings up the same hodgepodge of related and unrelated albums which is a bit frustrating
-Genres: this section is also not very good. If I select electronic, I see another hodgepodge page of playlists and artists. Many not being electronic at all, more dance, rave and other junk. 

So, those cons are in most cases expected for a streaming service so young. I'm sure their selections, recommendations and playlists will become much more intelligent and diverse once Tidal begins to fine tune and tweak as the days go by. Other than that, the lossless quality is what I had hoped it would be, the interface is nice to use and the service has been 99.9% stable for me over the past 4-5 days. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #573 of 5,209
It's been 4 days since my last post. Been using the service with zero issues. Everything plays quickly when I choose my music. Of course, the most important part, the lossless quality is absolutely amazing. Couldn't be happier. I'm sticking with them. I'm located in Houston. All of my internet connections are fiber. I rarely have used my phone network for most of my listening, but it was fine as well. 

Some cons
-Playlists: we need better playlists. Tidal needs to hire some folks who get some really great music packed into their playlists. Right now, the playlists are mediocre at best, with some music totally not belonging to the music category. Reminds me of early Pandora channels....hodgepodge
-Music Recommendations: they need to improve the functionality of finding artists and albums similar to the music I'm in the mood for. I find that I spend more time trying to find artists similar to the song I had just listened to, than actually listening to music (unless off a playlist). Tidal has an 'other albums' section for each artist you view, but it pretty much brings up the same hodgepodge of related and unrelated albums which is a bit frustrating
-Genres: this section is also not very good. If I select electronic, I see another hodgepodge page of playlists and artists. Many not being electronic at all, more dance, rave and other junk. 

So, those cons are in most cases expected for a streaming service so young. I'm sure their selections, recommendations and playlists will become much more intelligent and diverse once Tidal begins to fine tune and tweak as the days go by. Other than that, the lossless quality is what I had hoped it would be, the interface is nice to use and the service has been 99.9% stable for me over the past 4-5 days. 

I completely agree. If anyone on Tidal is reading this I would very much appreciate a better related artists section with more artists showcased. I beleieve this is a vital section of your service as many people like myself use it as a music explorer.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #574 of 5,209
I agree about playlists. Tidal should hire somebody to post new daily playlists. I'm 66 and I've never listened to so much hiphop and shall I call it urban music that I've really enjoyed but wouldn't have found on my own. Tidal here near Toronto is streaming nearly perfectly and any dropouts appear originate from my own AirPlay setup. Overall I'm very pleased and can't wait until they start streaming directly to my AK-100 II as promised. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #575 of 5,209
. Tidal here near Toronto is streaming nearly perfectly and any dropouts appear originate from my own AirPlay setup. Overall I'm very pleased and can't wait until they start streaming directly to my AK-100 II as promised. 

Interesting. During my Tidal trial I had serious problems with dropouts in Cobourg, near Toronto, on a 50 meg connection with Cogeco. Same in Brazil with two different Internet providers, 60 and 50 meg. But no problems with Qobuz or any other streaming services in either location. I cancelled.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #576 of 5,209

I'm retired so I'm listening to Tidal for hours at a time. This morning it's over an hour without a dropout and maybe six hours yesterday (bought some new hardware so I've got headphones on much of the day). I'm on the same 50 meg high-speed cable modem with Cogeco and it's been fine. There was one day when Tidal wouldn't load properly and I can't say why but the issue disappeared an hour later. Like I said any dropouts appear local with my wife working at home she's on the Internet full time. Thinking of installing a music server (maybe a Mac Mini) right off the modem and grabbing bandwidth early and avoiding issues with my MacBook Pro running out of bandwidth when I'm editing photos or videos.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #577 of 5,209
Question for all you Tidal users:

How do you get Tidal to bypass the Windows sound mixer / DS?

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #578 of 5,209
  Question for all you Tidal users:

How do you get Tidal to bypass the Windows sound mixer / DS?

JRiver has some good information about it.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Additionally, if you have an external DAC, you could connect with USB or S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) if those are available.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #579 of 5,209

And keep in mind, when America has gone to sleep and Europe is just starting its day, Tidal always works well for me, just as it does randomly throughout the day.  And...  repeating my earlier observations... even when Tidal is choking on me, it chokes on all of my devices (laptops, iPad, iPad Mini, etc.) -AND- I am always able to run speed tests - at those very times when Tidal is choking - which show that I'm still getting greater than 18 Mbps downloads on any and all of my devices -AND- I can download 1080p videos (which require a minimum of 3.6 Mbps bandwidth, more if it includes 5.1 Dolby audio - which is nearly three times the bandwidth required for downloading 44/16 FLAC files.)

This is one of those mysteries that may never be solved.  There is absolutely no rational reason why my service should be practically flawless 24/7 and yours goes to crap during the peak hours. Surely it can't be a Verizon thing. It makes no sense that they would selectively throttle Tidal.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #580 of 5,209
   JRiver has some good information about it.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Additionally, if you have an external DAC, you could connect with USB or S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) if those are available.

Thanks.  I guess the standalone player has real options.  I was just doing their website comparison test on if you can tell the difference between tracks and didn't see any options for changing output.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #581 of 5,209
Just registered, so be kind :)

I've been a Tidal subscriber for a few months now, and I've had a great experience with it streaming wise. This is both in the city on my cell ( AT&T), or at home ( Wifi on a 50Mbps DSL line).

The windows client could you use some TLC, but honestly I find the Android version to be quite nice. I also agree with those that have stated they need some more people to build playlists. I may contribute one or two, but for discovery of new music, it lacks.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #582 of 5,209
  Just registered, so be kind :)

Welcome to Head-Fi!

I have to agree with you. The desktop clients (Mac too) are both really subpar. I've been using the Chrome web-app, but it's really not the same as a native app. I always accidentally quit my browser, etc., etc. I ended up making little "web-apps" for Chrome on my Mac that work nicely. Sadly, that cannot really be done on Windows.

I think they need more conditional logic discovery methods rather than only hand-curated playlists. Rdio is remarkable at this and I think even Spotify hasn't caught up. It's the only thing I truly miss about the other services.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #583 of 5,209
Along with lossless on my desktop, another indirect / tangential reason for me to stick with Tidal is that TMobile (here in the US) now allows for unlimited 4G LTE streaming of music services such as Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, etc.  These music streaming services don't count against our tiered data plans.  

As such, I bought a refurb / unlocked GSM iPhone that operates on TMobile's network, and added it onto my existing family plan for $10 / mo for a 1GB LTE data plan.  That phone is now my primary car audio source -- digital lightning out into Ford Sync usb, streaming lossless Tidal without worry about data caps / overage charges, etc. 

And at least here in metro SoCal (LA / OC / SD), TMobile has 30/10 4G speeds, more than enough for Tidal.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #584 of 5,209
I haven't gone through this whole thread so maybe this is a stupid question. I just signed up for the 7 day Tidal trial. I've heard people mention a standalone desktop app but when I go to the Downloads page all I see is a button to Play Now in the Web Player and options to download for iOS and Android. Am I missing something?

Edit: And what's with the countdown timer on the main page?

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #585 of 5,209
  Along with lossless on my desktop, another indirect / tangential reason for me to stick with Tidal is that TMobile (here in the US) now allows for unlimited 4G LTE streaming of music services such as Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, etc.  These music streaming services don't count against our tiered data plans.  

As such, I bought a refurb / unlocked GSM iPhone that operates on TMobile's network, and added it onto my existing family plan for $10 / mo for a 1GB LTE data plan.  That phone is now my primary car audio source -- digital lightning out into Ford Sync usb, streaming lossless Tidal without worry about data caps / overage charges, etc. 

And at least here in metro SoCal (LA / OC / SD), TMobile has 30/10 4G speeds, more than enough for Tidal.

OK....... JUST GONNA MOVE TO THE US.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back