Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #301 of 5,209
Well... This is what I did to be able to register BEFORE TIDAL was available in my country. And you need to use the VPN only for registration. Then, once you get your log-in, you do not need to use the VPN anymore :)

Well, I'm from outside US and, yes, I registered to Tidal through a US VPN, submited my (non-US) credit card data and have been enjoying the 7-day free trial.

I've been a Spotify Premium user since 2013 and it's such a value for money. Music catalog is vast but not perfect, though. I'm very pleased with the sound quality overall (at 320 Kbps).

So what about Tidal?

I tested Tidal (HIFI) and Spotify (Extreme Quality) side-by-side using my current gear:

-Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005, LTE, Snapdragon)
-Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (Exynos)

-Apple iPad Air 2
-Bose QC25
-Bose Soundlink III

Yes, I have no true audiophile gear yet. Despite this, some DACs are better than others, and you can spot differences between Tidal and Spotify.

Let's begin with the best DAC, the one inside the Galaxy Tab S 8.4. As it uses an Exynos processor, it probably has a Wolfson DAC. Tidal sounds noticeably better than Spotify in this tablet, whether you are listening to music though the headphones or though the speaker. Period. Better separation and more detailed, airy sound; more ample soundstage. Tighter bass. Even over Bluetooth (not ideal, I know), you can feel the difference.

iPad Air 2: It is a close call, but Spotify sounds better (not by much).
The DAC should play an important role in the results, but I'm wondering if the file format used by both platforms on iOS (OGG, ¿ALAC?) also has something to do...

Galaxy Note 3: The DAC here is pretty standard. It really depends on the song you're playing. Sometimes Tidal it's better, sometimes Spotify.

My two cents: If you don't have relatively sophisticated, high quality gear, save $10 per month and keep using Spotify. Sound is pretty good, music catalog is better, and interface is superior. By the way, I had some issues streaming videos from Tidal, even using a 50 Mbps connection.

I hope it is useful for everyone.

Cheers.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #303 of 5,209
I'm not overly impressed with Tidal, at all.

The more I use the service here in the UK the more I am disappointed. I have a 160 meg connection, 160 meg. I get constant buffer warnings, pauses, songs won't buffer to play, songs won't play at all forcing me to close and re open the app several times just to play a song...

The web player isn't, much better for me either. I can't play more than 1-5 songs without a buffer stopping my enjoyment.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #304 of 5,209
  I'm not overly impressed with Tidal, at all.

The more I use the service here in the UK the more I am disappointed. I have a 160 meg connection, 160 meg. I get constant buffer warnings, pauses, songs won't buffer to play, songs won't play at all forcing me to close and re open the app several times just to play a song...

The web player isn't, much better for me either. I can't play more than 1-5 songs without a buffer stopping my enjoyment.

Bummer.  They are alienating customers left and right - customers who may never come back.  

Here's an idea!
light_bulb_idea_vector.jpg

Let's all agree to use Tidal only on odd number dates if your date of birth is odd....

... or even number dates if your date of birth is even!

If everyone will please commit to doing this...

... I'll be able to listen whenever I want!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #306 of 5,209
Would anybody have an idea if the streaming problems are regional? Tidal is - to my knowledge - based in Sweden, so maybe streaming in continental or northern Europe is fine, but elsewhere it suffers. Just a thought.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #307 of 5,209
Not sure, I live in the Republic Of Ireland and had to cancel my sub due to buffering and lag issues. If they plan to launch in the States they should get their act together re Europe!

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #312 of 5,209
I have been mirroring few days now with Tidal against Spotify through M2tech young, Meier Audio Corda Arietta with Sennheiser HD-580 (with 600 grills). There is more clarity that is for sure but is it worth 10 euros against 20 euros? Yes on my opinion but for example my girlfriend couldnt tell the difference between Warwick Avenue - Duffy Spotify and Tidal versions. Niche product at the moment and is waiting the mainstream revolution of listening equipment.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #313 of 5,209
I have been listening for about 6 hrs in snowy PA, Classical, jazz and rock, all sound top notch on my iPhone 4s and iPad 3 playing through CCK, Aune T1 and Sennheiser HD600. Selection is good, and no glitches (a real problem with downloads played with the same set up with FLAC Player, where jittering causes real issues). Perhaps I'm just lucky, but if things continue like this I will be tempted to go beyond the free 7 days.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #315 of 5,209
I had serious streaming issues when using Tidal in both Canada and Brazil. I cancelled after paying for one month. I never have issues with Qobuz in either country.

I am waiting for Qobuz to come to Canada natively at $20 CAD. The CAD is absolutely crap right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back