THX 00 Burn in time????
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stevemoore

New Head-Fier
New to the headphone world. Purchased the fostex recently. Used for several hours without "burning them in" is this a problem? Should I have done the burn in or have I already done this just by listening to them.
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 4
New to the headphone world. Purchased the fostex recently. Used for several hours without "burning them in" is this a problem? Should I have done the burn in or have I already done this just by listening to them.
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Headphone burn-in is controversial. Some smart people believe in it, some don't Some smart people believe burn-in occurs with the headphone, others believe it occurs in our brains/ears. Some believe burn-in is different for each headphone, others do not. Personally, I believe it exists both with the headphone and with our brains (getting used to a headphone). I don't own a Fostex, but you are likely to hear things like 50, 100, 200 hours as recommendations--these are fairly customary amounts. Round numbers. To me these seem random and arbitrary, but what do I know. Maybe the Fostex people have a number or two, but I would take them with a grain of salt. I don't think anybody knows for certain what these numbers of hours ought to be. There are no carefully done studies that I am aware of. My advice is just to enjoy your headphones. If you want to, run them all night for a few days. You don't need to do it for a month. My two cents.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 4
My advice would be to just use them. Give them a week is what I always say. I personally believe that burn in occurs, but does not provide an absolutely massive difference. The absolutely massive difference is the "brain burn in" that occurs when your brain adjusts to the sound signature of a new headphone. 

For a personal example, my first entry into the world of audiophilia was a pair of Beats Studio Wireless. They were overpriced and mid-bass heavy, but they were so much better than anything I had heard before that I was amazed. I used them for several months and joined this forum because I became so intrigued with headphones. Then, after much research, I got the RHA ma750. They were so much clearer than my Beats and I loved the detail, but they had almost unbearably harsh highs. After several months of daily use, the highs seemed to not only settle down, but became my absolutely favorite part about the ma750. But they ended up having a defect (bass went completely to left side for a few days, and then they went back to almost normal) and I had a replacement pair sent to me. I was disappointed that I would have to go through all of that burn in again, but when I gave the new pair a first listen, they sounded extremely similar to my old pair. I was shocked, but then it started to make sense why they seemed to change so dramatically. 

Of course, every headphone is different, and sometimes differences even occur between two of the same headphones (my first pair also had a defect, which may have something to do with the differences) so there is no definitive answer as to whether burn in will help a headphone or is merely placebo and headphones won't change that much. Like I said at the beginning, I would just use them for a while and enjoy them. 

Of course, this is only the opinion I hold and should not be taken as gospel. As always, YMMV.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Just my 2 cents, but I emailed Fostex about this exact question regarding my headphones. They replied stating that there is no specific timeline for a burn-in period, but they play all their headphones for 24 hours before taking them to shows and events. Take from that what you will. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back