Thumpasorous People's FUNK appreciation thread!
Mar 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #76 of 431
a whole bunch of good stuff: Dusty Groove - Search: 45 King fat funky -- All Categories

you really have to hear this one: Dusty Groove : Good God! -- Heavy Funk Covers Of James Brown From All Over The World 1968 to 1974

ain't it funky now!
images

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #80 of 431
Stax records were a huge Funk (and Soul) Label in the 70s before they went bust. I used to have a compilation Album called 'Takin You There'. Issac Hayes was one of theirs.
staxMedium(1).jpg

Rufus Thomas was also one of their biggest acts

This is Rufus's 'Funky Chicken'. I think this is the Wattstax concert at Los Angeles Coliseum on August 20, 1972. He also had a hit with the Funky Penguin.
There are some classic crowd shots in this clip. They got the funk big time.
YouTube - Rufus Thomas - Funky Chicken

funky-chicken.jpg

BTW This label has a huge catalogue of rare and fantastic soul and funk.
Ace Records

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #81 of 431
so that killer "funky hot pants" rare groove compilation(I was referring to earlier) has audio previews here: Funky Hot Pants: 14 Super Rare Original Funk Monsters From The Late 60's To The Early 70's

and that's the funky country man, such an amazing voice! Skydog's Elysium: Larry Jon Wilson - Ohoopee River Bottomland

Harmonica sounds so damn good on my current set up! I'm trying to locate his four albums from the 70's...never can't get enough of that funky stuff
popcorn.gif

New Beginnings/Let Me Sing My Song to You: Larry Jon Wilson: Amazon.co.uk: Music
Quote:

Larry Jon Wilson, the funkiest country singer

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #84 of 431
there is most definitely not enough love for the Parliafunkadelicment camp here... probably because leeperry is a hater (i kid, i kid).

but George Clinton's influence and output cannot be misunderestimated. i strongly recommend any self-respecting or blossoming funkster pick up these two albums:

Funkadelic's eponymous debut:

funkadelic1st.jpg

and Cosmic Slop:

pfunk-cosmic-slop-cover.jpg

i picked these two because they're both masterpieces and both too often overlooked.

If you will suck my soul, I will lick your funky emotions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back