Thudding bass v. Textured bass?
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SillyHoney

500+ Head-Fier
I had not known about the term "texture bass" until making my STAX review and n3rdling jumped in talking about how textured STAX bass is. After a few day I realized what he was talking about
eek.gif

Few days ago when I was traveling I put on my CK7 after a long while and I was like "What the heck? How could the bass be so terrible" I literally can't stand listening to its thudding bass which sounds like a stick hit hard on a pillow. I feel guilty recall that I did recommend some people how nice CK7 bass is (after having SRH440 and HD555)
redface.gif

Now I can't help myself wondering how textured the bass is on top of the line bass monster like D7000. Damn! I no longer have D7000 and am unable to buy it again so...
mad.gif
frown.gif
redface.gif

So can someone who happen to have both stats and great dynamic give some impression on that?

@ n3rdling: You done a nice job prevent me from listening to low end headphones
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Stax do have nicely textured bass. The thing many note is that many of them don't have the same level of thump as more convential drivers. This also depends on the particular model as well. I find the old stax to sound more solid than the lambda though the lambda hgoes deeper. Orthodynamics are a good middle ground if you get the right one, they are fast and solid and retain the texture of the stats. I'm told the o2 has both texture and weight, plus they go very deep. Fortunately bass texture and thump are not mutually exclusive so you can get the effect of good speakers. Slamming deep and well defined bass. You also usually have to pay a good deal to get that level of bass while not sacrificing the rest of the range.

Speakers, big ones, have the ability to sound spacious, solid and often oppressingly overwhelming at times when the material calls for it. This is a rare quality in phones. Effortlessly deep and powerful while showing great delicasy is something I really love, yet few phones are capable of reproducing that big speaker experience.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Yep, textured bass all the way. Although you can have both.

Anyway smeggy, not even the HD800 can match the soundstage and imaging of fantastic high-fi speakers (see thousands of dosh). It comes close though. Listened to both. The HD800 are the best 'soundstage' (headstage blah blah blah you know what people mean) in an headphone I have heard though. I laugh at people stating the K701 soundstage is great and wide....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back