Through this journey, I have learned I like treble and vocals
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ksimm033

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I listen to music using my W4Rs. I've noticed that when I get done at the gym using my M6s and then laydown to use my W4Rs, the W4Rs come off to warm (use medium star tips). I use a rockbox clip plus and have the treble set to +12, with everything else on default. I'm guessing this means that I prefer more treble due to being able to enjoy the vocals more. So the question is, which IEM would best or better suit me? I love the instrument separation and the soundstage of the W4Rs. I also like deep natural bass that booms when should and nothing extra or over the top. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Right now I listen to music using my W4Rs. I've noticed that when I get done at the gym using my M6s and then laydown to use my W4Rs, the W4Rs come off to warm (use medium star tips). I use a rockbox clip plus and have the treble set to +12, with everything else on default. I'm guessing this means that I prefer more treble due to being able to enjoy the vocals more. So the question is, which IEM would best or better suit me? I love the instrument separation and the soundstage of the W4Rs. I also like deep natural bass that booms when should and nothing extra or over the top. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

You can try a cable change first. IMO, a silver dragon cable change does the job pretty well. Alternatively, you may wish to check out UE900 or Heir Audio 4ai.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 11
How is the sound stage and separation on the CKW1000ANV and is there a difference between the anniversary or regular edition?

How's the clarity on the UE900?

Any other suggestions?

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
You can try a cable change first. IMO, a silver dragon cable change does the job pretty well. Alternatively, you may wish to check out UE900 or Heir Audio 4ai.

I say no to both.  The UE 900 lacks in the lower vocals while the 4.Ai lacks in the upper vocals.  You can do better if you're looking for vocals :p  I'd recommend an Etymotic before I went to either of those :p  Treble + vocals :p  

Quote:
Thought this was a discussion/personal entry thread from the title and I was like yay.

Then I read it and thought - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

W4 upgrade/sidegrade, more treble, vocals - PFE232 or the EX1000s.

Agree with the PFE232 suggestion for sure, that's the first thing that came to mind when I read the OP.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 11
+12dB on anything is not very good.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be checking out the silver dragon cable, PFE232 and possibly the Etymotic 4. My only concern with the Ety is the lack of bass. I do like a solid and deep bass in songs when it's needed. I just don't need extra.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be checking out the silver dragon cable, PFE232 and possibly the Etymotic 4. My only concern with the Ety is the lack of bass. I do like a solid and deep bass in songs when it's needed. I just don't need extra.

Well, the Phonak will add a bit of bass over the W4, but does vocals beautifully IMO.  It'll also fill that treble requirement you need :wink:  The Ety may not have the bass you're looking for then.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

^^ But it is mostly deep bass on the Phonaks. It'd probably fix the concerns you have on the Etys as well. 
I'd spring for them quick before Phonak closes shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back