Three Driver Universal - The End Of The Line?
Oct 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 15
there's supposed to be a 4 driver earphone coming out by jays sometime before the end of the year

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 15
well considering the driver in the q jays is a twfk, it's a really small dual driver
tongue.gif
I have that in one of my earphones as well as a big bass driver but the twfk is tiny.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 15
Not just foreseeable future, but within the next 2 months or so. It is called the x-JAYS - linky.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 15
I wonder how much those x-jays are gonna retail for, and how much an improvement the extra driver would offer when compared to the current 3 driver universal products from UE, Westone etc. I'll need to find someplace to audition them once they are released.

But just wondering, is it likely that other companies would follow JAYS in offering quad drivers, and is 5-6 drivers like in custom in ears probable for universal products. haha

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm wondering how they can fit the cross-over circuits in there!

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 15
Are the X-Jays gonna be the same size as the Q-Jays? It will be REALLY SHOCKING if its the case. Hell, they could be 4 times the size of the Q-Jays, and i'll still be amazed.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 15
Judging from the early picture,I think the x-JAYS probably won't be a lot bigger than the t-JAYS.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
I'm wondering how they can fit the cross-over circuits in there!

I don't think the x-JAYS (or any other multi-driver IEMs out there) will be quad x-overs so there wouldn't be much difference in circuitry from a 3-way 3-driver.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 15
I emailed Jays about the X-Jays and they replied that they have no target date for it's release...
  So sounds like it could be a ways off, not just a couple of months
confused.gif

Maybe they're having trouble fitting the 4 drivers in!
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 15
From 2 drivers on, it's all the same to me.  For a BA based earphone, it does seem that two drivers are needed to adequately cover the entire audible spectrum.  More drivers doesn't specifically mean better.  Manufacturers simply are allowed to operate each driver in a narrower, more desirable bandwidth which allows manufacturers to mix and match drivers more easily to get a desired end sound.  The crossovers get more complex though which may or may not create blending problems between drivers and cost goes up due to extra driver and transistor hardware.  R&D is likely longer too.  Part of what's gained from more drivers is headroom.  This is where you often see dual bass drivers instead of one in order to offer more overall output and lower distortion.  It of course depends on which drivers are used though.

In the end I see two correctly chosen drivers will cover the frequency spectrum well and have minimal faults.  More drivers won't gain much unless there are specific goals that the manufacturer can't achieve using few drivers.  For the end user, 2 to 4 matters very little.  It will still come down to intended design of the manufacturer and end user personal preference.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
From 2 drivers on, it's all the same to me.  For a BA based earphone, it does seem that two drivers are needed to adequately cover the entire audible spectrum.  More drivers doesn't specifically mean better.  Manufacturers simply are allowed to operate each driver in a narrower, more desirable bandwidth which allows manufacturers to mix and match drivers more easily to get a desired end sound.  The crossovers get more complex though which may or may not create blending problems between drivers and cost goes up due to extra driver and transistor hardware.  R&D is likely longer too.  Part of what's gained from more drivers is headroom.  This is where you often see dual bass drivers instead of one in order to offer more overall output and lower distortion.  It of course depends on which drivers are used though.

In the end I see two correctly chosen drivers will cover the frequency spectrum well and have minimal faults.  More drivers won't gain much unless there are specific goals that the manufacturer can't achieve using few drivers.  For the end user, 2 to 4 matters very little.  It will still come down to intended design of the manufacturer and end user personal preference.

Very well-said!
icon14.gif;pv088ad16c81ea1fe7

most of the time, ppl are just caught up in the numbers game

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
most of the time, ppl are just caught up in the numbers game

I'm tempted to X2, though it's ultimately pointless to argue over personal preference. If anything I seem to be caught up in a reverse numbers game: having worked through dual and triple driver IEMs in the past and ending up with single driver dynamics and moving armatures.

In my book it's about the phones that make you forget that they are there. Sadly no multi driver IEMs I've ever heard have been able to accomplish this. The dual dynamic Radius DDM is close. But a loosely sealed FX700 and more than anything MAs like the Ortofons and Final Audios are the real stars in my own personal audiophile world.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back