Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #736 of 1,487
Feb 1, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #738 of 1,487
Losing connection ?
That worries me a little bit. I take my M9 to work where I listen for close to 6-7 hours a day. Which is awesome, but this also means I break my M9 down twice a day to put them in their carrying case. Meaning I disconnect the connectors twice a day. Should I maybe stop disconnecting them to store them?

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #740 of 1,487
That worries me a little bit. I take my M9 to work where I listen for close to 6-7 hours a day. Which is awesome, but this also means I break my M9 down twice a day to put them in their carrying case. Meaning I disconnect the connectors twice a day. Should I maybe stop disconnecting them to store them?

Why are you disconnecting the cables? I use the provide carrying case and have never needed to disconnect the MMXC's?

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #743 of 1,487
Why are you disconnecting the cables? I use the provide carrying case and have never needed to disconnect the MMXC's?
I wasn't sure it would fit in the case still connected. But now I know! Thanks. How do you guys do it? Put the IEMs in their slots, then wrap the cable around your fingers or what? The cable gets all twisted up when I tried that. Or do you wrap the cable up and then put the IEMs in the slots?

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #744 of 1,487
519C6859-E0CF-40C2-B1C6-946609CA2051.jpeg
I wasn't sure it would fit in the case still connected. But now I know! Thanks. How do you guys do it? Put the IEMs in their slots, then wrap the cable around your fingers or what? The cable gets all twisted up when I tried that. Or do you wrap the cable up and then put the IEMs in the slots?

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #745 of 1,487
General recommendations are to remove MMCX connections as seldom as possible, as too many people have had connection problems, caused by removing/inserting stressing the connector, weakening the spring clip, etc. Of course, it also depends on the quality of the connectors (material, tolerance, etc.), whether problems will crop up. But as even very expensive IEMs or cables have had problems, the consensus is to remove the MMCX as seldom as possible. And if the problem is in the cable connector, it hurts, but the connector can be replaced easily. But if the problem is in the IEM body female connector, that is a much greater magnitude of problem, as typically, it needs to go back to the manufacturer to repair. And another piece of the puzzle is that materials that are very hard are not the best for sound, so there is a constant search for materials that sound good, and will also hold up and last. The connector contact surfaces are very small, so the force on them is very large, if you think about the pressure you apply to the connector. One method which I ran across recently to remove the connector, is to hold the body in one hand, and with the other hand, insert the fingernails of the thumb, fore, middle finger into the gap and press in to dislodge. I tried that and it does work. That is much better than pulling hard, and maybe at an off angle, which makes the stress uneven, on one side of the connector.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #746 of 1,487
I would never disconnect the cables just to put a iem in its case.

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #747 of 1,487
I also managed to put everything inside the case. It took me quite a while to do that. But there is a very simple solution to save our time from that frustration. Just remove that plastic piece and keep it out. We actually don’t need it. Now it is much easier and takes me only 30s. Try this.

758A0DEF-FCF9-4D8B-A593-30E4C32DA2E2.jpeg

Feb 2, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #748 of 1,487
BTW, I ran across this after market case by Audio Technica, which is really good. I have not seen anything else with a better design. For further protection of the IEM body, I put a piece of the white foam that comes as packing material with a lot of products, between the IEM bodies. The plastic center protects the case from crushing, protects the IEM body, and serves as a cord winding form. Works really great all around. I bought one to try, and liked it so much I have bought a couple more for storage, and transport. It was about USD10 in Tokyo, so there may be cheaper prices on other internet sites. Or in local stores. In a HK store, it was HKD130 (USD15)
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...7Q28QA9Y2AA&psc=1&refRID=NCS0E1Y8N7Q28QA9Y2AA

41LCo%2B%2B7tzL.jpg

41E%2BDCUkZ8L.jpg

51GtJX33FHL.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #749 of 1,487
I just bought 2x of these cases off ebay Thanx for the heads up mate.. Cheers..
Audio Technica☆Japan-In-ear Headphone Carrying Case AT-HPP300 BK BLACK

BTW, I ran across this after market case by Audio Technica, which is really good. I have not seen anything else with a better design. For further protection of the IEM body, I put a piece of the white foam that comes as packing material with a lot of products, between the IEM bodies. The plastic center protects the case from crushing, protects the IEM body, and serves as a cord winding form. Works really great all around. I bought one to try, and liked it so much I have bought a couple more for storage, and transport. It was about USD10 in Tokyo, so there may be cheaper prices on other internet sites. Or in local stores. In a HK store, it was HKD130 (USD15)
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...7Q28QA9Y2AA&psc=1&refRID=NCS0E1Y8N7Q28QA9Y2AA

41LCo%2B%2B7tzL.jpg

41E%2BDCUkZ8L.jpg

51GtJX33FHL.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #750 of 1,487
YES!!! Disconnect mmcx connections only when you absolutely need to. They are notoriously unreliable if disconnected a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back