Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #181 of 1,487
Soundstage and detail (macro/micro). The only weakness with 1000 is the smooth transition from mids and treble where the new lineup will have an advantage but EX1000’s mids and treble sound natural to me nonetheless

If I could get the sound of EX1000 with better isolation and fit, it would be a dream IEM.

Of course, what allows the EX1000 to do what it does is the massive vents and looser fit and isolation so that would be a direct contradiction unless you come up with some technology the Andro has and somehow get a massive soundstage, with decent isolation and mildly forward mids (which is a huge contradiction, but they did it!)

I have both and they are such great complements. EX1000 for the realism and imaging (I’ve never experienced imaging like this except for the Legend X and Zeus XIV at 4-5x) the price and the Andro for the holographic-like imaging but massive soundstage (perhaps the widest I’ve ever heard without massively recessed vocals).

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #182 of 1,487
I personally feel Balanced Armature drivers are weaker than dynamic drivers and need a ‘kick’ to come on par with something like EX1000. That is my thought with the Z5.

Will be getting the M7 & M9 pretty soon. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed.
I see...

Hmmm....I always try not to judge gear that I have not heard yet.

But I agree, the soundstage on the EX1000 is hard to beat. There are not many other phones that sound as airy and wide (only the iSines maybe). I think this has to do a lot with the way how the EX1000 is built and inserted into the ear. Z1R seems to have a more classical approach in this regard - so a smaller soundstage is kind of expected.

Detail? Hmmm again. I must say I have been a huge fan of the EX1000 and owned it for many years, but after listening to it again a while ago, I was kind of surprised it was not as detailed as I remembered it. At least not after owning some newer gear. Compared to the Andromeda, for example, to my ears the EX1000 sounds less detailed and grainier. Though still on a high level….and I still prefer its dynamic driver bass.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #183 of 1,487
I personally feel Balanced Armature drivers are weaker than dynamic drivers and need a ‘kick’ to come on par with something like EX1000. That is my thought with the Z5.

But the Z5 has a dynamic driver (it`s a hybrid)??

Me, personally, I also prefer a dynamic driver bass, but the same time must admit that BA driver sound is more precise (especially in the highs in most cases). That is why I like hybrids, if done well. The Z5 is kind of rolled of in the highs though. I feel other hybrid models take more advantage of the BA drivers...

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #184 of 1,487

If i were you, i'd get the Z1R

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #185 of 1,487
I heard the M9 yesterday and I really like it’s sound and the fit is so good that I won’t mind jogging with these. For IEMs, I use the LCD i4 (planar), Beyerdynamics Xelentos (DD), Sony Z5 (Hybrid), FitEar CIEM 335DW (BA), JH Audio CIEM JH13 pro (BA). Really like each one of these for different reasons. Trying to justify complementing my IEM collection with both M9 (5BA) and Z1R (Hybrid).....

By the way I thought my recent purchase of Hiby R6 sounds better than my WM1Z. Not sure if it’s the higher power on the R6 which made the IEMs sound better. Access to Tidal and Spotify is a big plus too.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #187 of 1,487
Sep 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #189 of 1,487
How good is the imaging of those three compared to the EX1000?

Sorry for the late reply! ive not personally tried the ex1000, so i must apologize. but imaging and soundstage why, the z1r is obviously the best amongst the three. i dont think the m9 and m7 have very big soundstage, its an okay size.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #190 of 1,487
Went to try the M7/M9 today, thought I'd just put some of my thoughts here in case anyone shares listening preferences -

Perhaps for context - my listening is mostly classical, with focus on reproducing what is heard in a concert hall for example, and turning these into CDs/digital release - hence my focus on like clarity/details/voicing.

First thing that strikes me about the M7/M9 is the depth of the staging - it makes etys sound shallow in comparison (though granted the etys aren't known for their staging). The detail retrieval in both are outstanding, though there is a visible gap in the M7/M9 in both staging and clarity.

Things I didn't quite like - I felt that the upper vocal range (mezzo-soprano, soprano) didn't come through quite as well as I would have hoped - it's not bad by any means though.

Also heard a bit slow separation in the string octet - again nothing much to write home about, it's still incredibly clear. Oddly, I didn't hear this in the string quartet.

I feel like the M9 especially handles the orchestral genres like a beast - there is clarity in spades - I can hear the timpani and bass drum strokes so clear it scares me. Cello and bass textures are also incredibly clear.

Tracks used -
Franck violin sonata
Mahler 2
Mendelssohn Octet
Brahms Piano Trio no. 1
Dvorak American Quartet
Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra
Sogno Di Volare (Civ 6 theme)
Another day of sun
GEM (mando stuff)
Just a smattering of Korean tracks (OSTs, pop)

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #191 of 1,487
Went to try the M7/M9 today, thought I'd just put some of my thoughts here in case anyone shares listening preferences -

Perhaps for context - my listening is mostly classical, with focus on reproducing what is heard in a concert hall for example, and turning these into CDs/digital release - hence my focus on like clarity/details/voicing.

First thing that strikes me about the M7/M9 is the depth of the staging - it makes etys sound shallow in comparison (though granted the etys aren't known for their staging). The detail retrieval in both are outstanding, though there is a visible gap in the M7/M9 in both staging and clarity.

Things I didn't quite like - I felt that the upper vocal range (mezzo-soprano, soprano) didn't come through quite as well as I would have hoped - it's not bad by any means though.

Also heard a bit slow separation in the string octet - again nothing much to write home about, it's still incredibly clear. Oddly, I didn't hear this in the string quartet.

I feel like the M9 especially handles the orchestral genres like a beast - there is clarity in spades - I can hear the timpani and bass drum strokes so clear it scares me. Cello and bass textures are also incredibly clear.

Tracks used -
Franck violin sonata
Mahler 2
Mendelssohn Octet
Brahms Piano Trio no. 1
Dvorak American Quartet
Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra
Sogno Di Volare (Civ 6 theme)
Another day of sun
GEM (mando stuff)
Just a smattering of Korean tracks (OSTs, pop)

Interesting to read, thank you :) Do either have any issues with sibilance as far as you could tell?

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #193 of 1,487
Interesting to read, thank you :) Do either have any issues with sibilance as far as you could tell?

Hey, I did not notice any sibilance with either of the M7 or M9! Blown away by how good it sounds haha

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #195 of 1,487
As you know, EX1000 is a plain Dynamic and Z5 is hybrid. I don’t know the reason or why but the plain tastes better than the mixed for me.
But the Z5 has a dynamic driver (it`s a hybrid)??

Me, personally, I also prefer a dynamic driver bass, but the same time must admit that BA driver sound is more precise (especially in the highs in most cases). That is why I like hybrids, if done well. The Z5 is kind of rolled of in the highs though. I feel other hybrid models take more advantage of the BA drivers...

Both are coming at a lower price so I am grabbing it for now
If i were you, i'd get the Z1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back