Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Aug 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #106 of 1,487
Actually they have the whole set of stock ear tips for you to try your best fit to audition the Z1R at the show, and maybe I already get used to an heavy and non ergonomic IEM, I think its more isolated and comfy than my current Andromeda :L3000:

The only drawback is its power consumption, with current generation S-Master HX in 1A/Z/ZX300, you still need to drive the volume up over 90 in high gain to make this baby shine:gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #107 of 1,487
I get really itchy ears with the triple comforts after 20 minutes or so, but the sound is amazing. I think I'm in between sizes so that could be it. Spiral dots feel better but I can't go back to that sound after trying the triple comforts. I will try to get the ML size tips. If the iem z1r is too heavy I will likely pass even if the sound is great. I wear my z5 only at home and would never wear them outside as the comfort factor would be even worse. I really think I need to find a similar sound signature in a ciem, but I love hybrids and there aren't too many hybrid ciems. I might have to look at the EE Nate8 or LX and the Kumitate Lab reference or just wear regular cans. I must be in the minority but I really like the sound of iems and the lightweight compared to headphones as I have neck issues.

I would probably only use them at home or at my office. Not going to take them out and about where they might be dropped or stolen. I'm glad that they expanded the triple comfort to 6 sizes though.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #108 of 1,487
I would probably only use them at home or at my office. Not going to take them out and about where they might be dropped or stolen
that is what I have on mind instead for mobile continue using the XBA-Z5

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #109 of 1,487
MAn, this look so promising, just in time when I start worrying on what to repalce my A3 when it reach its inevitable death (hopefully still years off) as it's my no 1 IEM for Stationary use outdoors, multiple hours per use thing. Thank god Sony finally delivers their Flagship IEM. Really a product to aspire to.

v2-573decef2b4efc3f2cfedd5f7081a631_hd.jpg
Man that case look super extravagant... but IMO that really reflects nicely to the price haha (other companies really should look at what Sony done here, IMO for Flagships it should be a standard), and with an IEM the stationary case should have a lot of spaces for storing accessories (both included, or third parties later) without hogging too big of space at home there.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #110 of 1,487
that is what I have on mind instead for mobile continue using the XBA-Z5

I added quite an expensive wagnus cable so yeah it's not going outside. Plus the connectors they used is a lot tighter than the regular ones, so I'd prefer to never take it off ever. The cable really helped make the bass slam harder, but cleaner.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #111 of 1,487
MAn, this look so promising, just in time when I start worrying on what to repalce my A3 when it reach its inevitable death (hopefully still years off) as it's my no 1 IEM for Stationary use outdoors, multiple hours per use thing. Thank god Sony finally delovers their Flagship IEM.

Man that case look super extravagant... but IMO that really reflects nicely to the price haha (other companies really should look at what Sony done here, IMO for Flagships it should be a standard), and with an IEM it should have a lot of spaces for storing accessories (both included, or third parties later) there.
Agree, haha Makes the XBA-Z5 look like sony skimped on accessories :D. Hell never had so much tips with sony earphones, only the class sizes SS, S,M and L

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #113 of 1,487
Aug 14, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #116 of 1,487
Found a few more Chinese IER-Z1R impressions. Using Google translate with a bit of edit to clean up/correct some translation errors.

1)The sound field of the IER-Z1R is very large, not quite like the sound of an in-ear earphone. It feels like the Audeze iSINE flat-panel earphone. In addition, compared to the Sony flagship in-ear XBA-Z5 that I used before, the low frequency of the IER-Z1R is more conserve. Unlike the Z5 which is a bit heavy and the sound is more "Hi-Fi".

2) Using the Sony Signature NW-WM1Z music player on site and listens to Hi-Res music with a 4.4mm headphone cable. For a short listening time, I can share a simple listening experience. Feel the wide sense of space brought by the IER-Z1R, with a full-featured sound field configuration, although it hasn't quite to caught up with the MDR-Z1R earphones, but it's about 70~80% overall.

The IER-Z1R also has a clean and natural sound performance, which is quite airy, and the sound analysis ability is quite excellent. For the details of the instrument, it is quite layered and rich, the treble is not turbid, the midrange is solid and close. The low has depth and extension, although the bass power is slightly insufficient, the overall listening is quite comfortable, suitable for listening to the symphony, movie soundtrack or vocal-based music type.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #117 of 1,487
Found a few more Chinese IER-Z1R impressions. Using Google translate with a bit of edit to clean up/correct some translation errors.

1)The sound field of the IER-Z1R is very large, not quite like the sound of an in-ear earphone. It feels like the Audeze iSINE flat-panel earphone. In addition, compared to the Sony flagship in-ear XBA-Z5 that I used before, the low frequency of the IER-Z1R is more conserve. Unlike the Z5 which is a bit heavy and the sound is more "Hi-Fi".

2) Using the Sony Signature NW-WM1Z music player on site and listens to Hi-Res music with a 4.4mm headphone cable. For a short listening time, I can share a simple listening experience. Feel the wide sense of space brought by the IER-Z1R, with a full-featured sound field configuration, although it hasn't quite to caught up with the MDR-Z1R earphones, but it's about 70~80% overall.

The IER-Z1R also has a clean and natural sound performance, which is quite airy, and the sound analysis ability is quite excellent. For the details of the instrument, it is quite layered and rich, the treble is not turbid, the midrange is solid and close. The low has depth and extension, although the bass power is slightly insufficient, the overall listening is quite comfortable, suitable for listening to the symphony, movie soundtrack or vocal-based music type.

To me this review has some polarized viewpoints. It says it is 70%-80% of what the Z1R is but then goes on to explain it’s not bass heavy like it would not be good with electronic music. Almost like it has less bass than then the Z5 flagship?

Everyone knows the Z5 did electronic music right.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #119 of 1,487
To me this review has some polarized viewpoints. It says it is 70%-80% of what the Z1R is but then goes on to explain it’s not bass heavy like it would not be good with electronic music. Almost like it has less bass than then the Z5 flagship?

Everyone knows the Z5 did electronic music right.

Some people in the past have said that the Z5 is a bit bass heavy. I don't feel that way but since I listen only at mid volume level, a bit more bass is actually welcome. One thing they did not say is if they're using high gain and at what volume level although we do have one report that it needs to be driven at high gain at 90. These are all early impressions so we have to wait for more detailed reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back