Thoughts on IEM tips
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Death_Block

1000+ Head-Fier
Do people have favourite brands? What does wide and narrow tunnel do? does length matter? silicone vs foam? etc. The ones supplied when I got the Solaris's, I cant seem to find a set that works for me. Nickston seem to have a nice set for around £18?

Feb 2, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Personally, this varies from IEM to IEM. On my old Polaris, I tended to use Complys. On my M9s, the hybrid tips that come with it worked best until I got custom sleeves for it.

Wide attenuated bass, narrow adds bass.

Length does matter, but more for isolation. It also has an effect on bass in that it tends to exaggerate the differences between wide and narrow bore sizes.

Foam usually offers the most comfort but had a tendency to bleed off a bit of treble, especially if the stem is pinched off. Very rarely will silicone tips actually pay off with regards to fit if foam doesn't work.

If fit is still a trouble, consider getting custom sleeves.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Do people have favourite brands? What does wide and narrow tunnel do?

You mean the bore? That primarily determines whether they'll even fit over your IEMs.

Too wide and they won't get any traction; not tight and depending on how much traction there is on the outer side vs your skin, they'll seem like they fit but will slip off when you take the IEMs out of your ears. A little tight and you need a tweezer used in reverse ie like forceps to stretch out the bore before you fit them over the IEM's bore, be sloppy and you can damage the IEM; too tight, even if you stretch it to fit, and the end of it might contract and close, which usually affects the top end of the range while lowering sensitivity.

does length matter?

Depends...do you want it sticking in deeper for isolation or for them to stick well, depending on how the taper towards the end is like?

If it's too long and quite tight over the IEM bore you have a lot more tip bore to work with when fitting it over your IEM's bore (your tweeceps need to come in from the other side,stretch them over the IEM bore, then you slowly pull off the tweeceps).

silicone vs foam?

Depends...do you prefer a plasticky feel that may or may not be pliable enough? Or do you prefer very pliable but cheap ones itch and the good ones are smoothened out and kind of waxed, but either way can start falling apart sooner than silicone takes on the texture of beef jerky?

---

Bottomline, it's really up to each user what they want in terms of ergonomics and then it depends on each IEM as to whether the sound is noticeably different, then back to the user as to whether the changes are preferable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back