Thoughts on Flesh Tunnels and Piercings
Sep 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Townyj

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok well i know there are definitely some people here who are "Not" into things such as tattoo's, piercings and flesh tunnels. But i wanted some "normal" peoples opinions. So tell me... When you see an eccentric person walking towards you, what is your first thought... Wow what a freak, Damn he/she likes to stand out, Woahhh turn and walk across the road.. Etc.

Or give me a time where you have come across someone and they have turned out totally opposite from how you see them.

I personally have tatt's and im currently in the process of stretching my ears slightly. Nothing out of this world, but im sure a few of you would definitely cringe.

For those who dont know what a flesh tunnel is...

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 59
In my area, we call those 'gauges.' I hate gauges, I think that they're disgusting and make the person look like a moron (if they're very large). Please, don't go any bigger than that photo. Tattoos are another story, some of the nicest people I've met are heavily tattooed and I have nothing against they way they look, so long as they mean something. It's more a method of expression than piercings, I think. One guy came into China East when I was working there, he had full arm tattoos and two tears by his right eye. Man, was I ever intimidated, but he turned out to be amazingly polite. 

TL;DR, Tattoos>Piercings

EDIT: I'm an 18 year old male, as per Aamefford's request.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 59
Cheers for your reply! I was going to note in my original post, that some of the nicest people i have met are heavily tattooed and have tunnels/gauges.

Im only going to 6mm which is the same size tunnel in the picture. I work in a fairly busy office and something huge will raise eyebrows, plus wont go down well with my boss etc.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 59
Myself: "Yuck"
Friend sitting immediatly to my right after looking at the picture: "Yuck"

Maybe less so if it where just a piercing, but just not something I find appealing.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 59
I'm not into body modification of any type.

Nothing against the people who do it.  I can't think of a inked or pierced person who ever treated me badly.

But I also can't think of many who look better with the mods.  I feel much the same way with implants and anything other than reconstructive plastic surgery.  I think people look better the more natural they are.

Edit: 38, Male, lawyer/accountant/landlord

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 59
I dig it.
Most forms of body modifications can be done tastefully, and i think the above photo is an example of that.

However, I'm really not that fond of facial piercings (eye, nose, mouth), while everything else is mostly fine, including genitalia.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 59
Immediate thought is fashion victim.
tongue.gif

Same for tattoos, scarification, breast implants, and other forms of aesthetic body modification. Aside from the permanence, there's really not much difference between those and more transitory fashions like expensive jeans or designer handbags.

As far as impact on first impression, the only thing it'd flag for me is that the pierced/inked/scarred person is attempting to signify that they are a part of some counter-culture subculture.

/Demographics: 27, Male, Engineer

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 59
None of it really works for me, though I have seen some nicely done tattoos and the odd well done nose ring.  Even well done, I don't like them.  For interest's sake, how about posting age / generation info with your responses, if you are comfortable doing so - I've always been curious about that.  As for me, slightly north of 50, male, middle class (barely and arguably) professional.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 59
24, M, likes long walks on the beach and redheads. I'm neither here nor there, my old skater friends had tunnels, and tats are very common around here. Still, for my own preference in say, the opposite sex, I'm for au natural. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 59
I thought this was going in a different direction but this old guy thinks a flesh tunnel is .......well.......huh! Gauges.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 59
Well im a 27yr old male, middle class, professional 
smily_headphones1.gif
My father is nearly 60 and he has had a couple of tatts since he was quite young. The whole tunnel/gauge thing doesnt really phase him at all.... My mother on the other hand.. she hmmm doesnt really see the interest! Each to there own i suppose. 

Quote:
None of it really works for me, though I have seen some nicely done tattoos and the odd well done nose ring.  Even well done, I don't like them.  For interest's sake, how about posting age / generation info with your responses, if you are comfortable doing so - I've always been curious about that.  As for me, slightly north of 50, male, middle class (barely and arguably) professional.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 59
Not that big on tattoos or piercings, but I don't have anything against them. I've seen some really cool tattoos, but I'm hesitant to get one myself because it's not something that just goes away after a few showers. On piercings, I don't really like facial piercings, but other than that I don't really care 'cause I can't see them. No problem with gauges either. Small ones aren't much different from piercings IMO.

I had an English teacher last semester who had tattoos all over his arms and piercings around his face. He turned out to be a great guy as well as a great teacher.

Also, I'm a 19 year old male.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 59
i see things like that quite often and in edinburgh no one would bat an eye at it.  the only time ive ever kinda double taken was the first time i saw Elaine Davidson

mostly what if anything think is i hope you dont change your mind, because like it or not your ruling yourself out of a lot of jobs in the future

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 59
I have no problems with tattoos, as long as they're tasteful and not something like Porky Pig sitting on a giant cannabis leaf or something. Personally, I think some small tattoos and piercings can be pretty hot when kept to a minimum and placed in strategic locations.

Whether or not I find it attractive, I ultimately have respect for people who modify their bodies. It's a form of personal expression and it takes courage to mark one's self and to stand apart in the crowd.

In Japan for example, I read that people with tattoos have a hard time because they are automatically associated with Yakuza. I suppose over here in the States heavily tattooed people often get labeled as unsavory types too. Body modification definitely impacts a persons life on many levels, so wearing it is a commitment. I respect people for such commitment.

Demographics: I'm a 25-year-old female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back