Thoughts on ferrite cores?
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Golden Monkey

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone use these to any great effect in their systems to reduce interference? I have one on my CDP that doesn't have a shielded, detachable cable, but as all my other power cords are well shielded I'm not using them there. Any thoughts about using them on interconnects, digital cables, etc.? What about proper placement, ie: close to the component, in the middle of the cable, etc.? What about multiple beads on cords/cables...how many, and how much is too much? Are there any specific ones that work better than others, besides the insanely overpriced Bybee ones? Thanks.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 7
A well made power supply probably already has ferrite chokes in its circuitry to deal with interference introduced into the supply.
Starting with a good power supply is probably more important than making sure your power cord has a bead on it, and is likely more important than the power cord itself
smily_headphones1.gif
How the power supply is utilised would also be more important that the power cord.

I don't know how much interference gets picked up by interconnects... especially if they are short. And especially if your environment is clean from sources of interference. Putting beads on them wouldn't hurt anything (besides your wallet) I don't think.
By all means, do some tests if you have the means
wink.gif

I don't think you need to worry about interference on digital coax cables. Just pick a well-made one.
The frequencies probably aren't high enough (not too much higher than audio frequencies) to see any attenuation from those clip on beads which tend to peak in the hundreds of MHz. But there is no need to mess around with the signal. I doubt the beads would screw the cable up much but digital transmission over coax is sensitive to the characteristics of the transmission medium.
It would be worth looking for coax cables of various construction methods and testing them, keep the best one at which you notice any improvement.

Did you notice any differences with the core attached to your power cable? You'd just have to put one sleeve over the cable near where it plugs into your cd player.
Do some tests for us
wink.gif
CD players are good test candidates.

No comment on various bead brands. I'd just look at the specs if I were interested.

If your bead is big enough / cable thin enough, you could thread the cable through the bead multiple times for increased filtering if you wish.
I think that if you notice a difference, keep adding them until you no longer hear a difference? hahaha. Or just buy a good cd player.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Just like ERS cloth, can't stick these cores on everything as it sometimes dulls and slow down the transients. You just need to buy a few pieces to try out.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... dulls and slow down the transients. You just need to buy a few pieces to try out.

x2! usb.org says officially do NOT use on usb 2.0 cables. Major cable makers do anyway, strange.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks guys...I have a handful of them, and tried a few different placements (interconnects, power cables, etc.), and didn't really notice anything either way. I even tried an "overkill" approach, and put six of them on my interconnects, and there was a difference (for the worse, as I expected). I may just go with one on my interconnect, and on my power cords that they'll fit on - my CDP cable is small and unshielded, but the ones on my DAC, DIP, amp are are 12AWG and well shielded, so I don't think they'll really help.

Aug 17, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 7
My computer speakers have a ferrite ring on each speaker wire. I've never taken the effort to remove them to see if they make a difference. They are located at the computer side of the cable, immediately out of the plug. Being that the computer itself is a source of noise, that would be the best place for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back