Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 31, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #5,596 of 6,500
PCM63 DACs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/285863/player-dac-with-pcm63#post_3662893

Accuphase DP-90

Adcom GDA-600

Akai CD69

Akai CD79

Audio Note DAC-3

AVI SC2000MC

Copland CDA277

Copland CDA288

Parasound D/AC1000

Parasound D/AC1500

Pioneer PD-8500

Rotel DCM-9PRO

Rotel RCD-99

Rotel RCD-971

Rotel RCD-991

Wadia 15

ACCUPHASE DC-91

APOGEE DA-1000

ARAGON D2A2

AUDIO NOTE DAC-1

AUDIO NOTE DAC-2

AUDIO NOTE DAC-4

Balanced Audio Tech. VK-D5

CARY AUDIO DESIGN CD-300

COPLAND CDA 266

COPLAND CDA 289

EAD CD-1000

EAD DSP-1000 SERIES II

EAD DSP-1000 SERIES III

EAD DSP-7000 SERIES II

EAD DSP-7000 SERIES III

KRELL KPS 20i

KRELL KPS 30i

LINN NUMERIC

MONARCHY AUDIO MODEL 22B

MONARCHY AUDIO MODEL 22C

MONARCHY AUDIO MODEL 24

MONARCHY AUDIO MODEL 33

PARASOUND D/AC-1100 HD

PARASOUND D/AC-1600 HD

PASS LABS D1

PATHOS InTransfer

PIONEER PD-73

PIONEER PD-93

PROCEED PCD3

PS AUDIO SUPERLINK THREE

ROTEL RCD-990

STAX DAC-TALENT

T+A CD1220R

T+A CD1240R

THETA DS PRO GENERATION III

THETA DS PRO GENERATION V

WADIA 6

Add Audiomeca Ambrosia

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #5,598 of 6,500
What do you chaps think of the DACs that use TDA 1541 chips?  Any fav?

I've got a small collection of tda1541a players and they 'slam-dunk' later bitstream players. They're all good, ime, but need a bit of modding to get the best out of them.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #5,600 of 6,500
DSPro Prime is a killer dac for the price. Really natural, effortless sound but it lacks extension on both ends and micro detail compared to modern top tier d/s DACs. But I am talking about units that retail for 5x or more the used market price of a ProPrime.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #5,601 of 6,500

What do you chaps think of the DACs that use TDA 1541 chips?  Any fav?

TDA1541A is a solid chip. The hard part is finding a truly good implementation of it to maximize its potential, from what I've read. I've also heard some say the digital filter it was originally and still usually paired with may not be super spectacular. Also, don't leave the TDA1541A on all the time due to heat build up and potential damage from that.

Try the Audial Model S

The Model S is indeed an excellent TDA1541A-based DAC (I recently wrote a full review that's floating around elsewhere on the interwebs), but I only recommend it if you are specifically looking for a non-oversampling DAC. If you don't have experience with non-oversampling DACs, start with some cheap offerings to see if it's your thing or not. Most people are going to be best served by oversampling DACs, like the Yggy.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5,602 of 6,500
Very nice Ling Ling. I would think though that the DS Pro Prime does not use the PCM63P-k or PCM67P-k but a different chip altogether. I believe it is a 1-bit pulse flow type dac chip.

"One-bit technology was headline news around this time. It was touted by major hi-fi manufacturers as being the next revolution in digital sound. They said multi-bit technology was dead. Theta's design team tried this new technology in high-performance designs and found it smooth sounding but lacking in aliveness, dynamics and bass. They envisioned one-bit technology as a palliative for less expensive products. Most inexpensive CD players and outboard D to A converters sounded shrill and harsh. The smoothness of the one-bit D to A could be implemented to reduce "glare" and other irritating characteristics, to bring new musicality to otherwise unacceptable components. It meant Theta had something to offer in a price realm previously thought hopelessly compromised. The DS Pro Prime was introduced in May of 1991." - Theta Digital

I think maybe the multi-bit chips are more extended in the lows (crazy bass, most definitely) and the highs (although still sounding "softer"  than any d-s DAC chip you will ever hear)

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,603 of 6,500
  Very nice Ling Ling. I would think though that the DS Pro Prime does not use the PCM63P-k or PCM67P-k but a different chip altogether. I believe it is a 1-bit pulse flow type dac chip.

"One-bit technology was headline news around this time. It was touted by major hi-fi manufacturers as being the next revolution in digital sound. They said multi-bit technology was dead. Theta's design team tried this new technology in high-performance designs and found it smooth sounding but lacking in aliveness, dynamics and bass. They envisioned one-bit technology as a palliative for less expensive products. Most inexpensive CD players and outboard D to A converters sounded shrill and harsh. The smoothness of the one-bit D to A could be implemented to reduce "glare" and other irritating characteristics, to bring new musicality to otherwise unacceptable components. It meant Theta had something to offer in a price realm previously thought hopelessly compromised. The DS Pro Prime was introduced in May of 1991." - Theta Digital

I think maybe the multi-bit chips are more extended in the lows (crazy bass, most definitely) and the highs (although still sounding "softer"  than any d-s DAC chip you will ever hear)

The Theta DS Pro Prime uses a PCM67P chip, similar to the Prime II, Basic II, and Progeny. The PCM67 is an odd hybrid of R2R and 1-bit/D-S, which is what they're likely talking about there. (See Purrin's comments in post #3229). Using the PCM67 was a budget-focused decision as it was way cheaper than either PCM63 or PCM1702 at the time.

Edit: Nope, nope nope. See post up ahead.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #5,604 of 6,500

The Theta DS Pro Prime uses a PCM67P chip, similar to the Prime II, Basic II, and Progeny. The PCM67 is an odd hybrid of R2R and 1-bit/D-S, which is what they're likely talking about there. (See Purrin's comments in post #3229). Using the PCM67 was a budget-focused decision as it was way cheaper than either PCM63 or PCM1702 at the time.

"All that has changed with the introduction of the new Theta DS Pro Prime digital processor. The Prime incorporates a 4x-oversampling digital filter performed by a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) chip under software control, coupled with a Philips 7350 Bitstream DAC. Theta's reason for using the Bitstream DAC was price: a 7350 is far cheaper to implement than a pair of multi-bit DACs with their attendant Most Significant Bit (MSB) trimmer and need for individual calibration at the factory." - Stereophile review of Pro Prime

I think you are talking about the Prime II, Basic II, and Progeny

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,605 of 6,500
The Prime does not use the PCM67, that's the multibit Prime II you're thinking about. 

The DSPro Prime uses a Philips 7350 Bitstream DAC. It's a 1 bit dac.

I was actually considering getting one of these as well to see what the 1bit dacs of the 90's sound like! And it has balanced out.

Here is a review:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/theta-ds-pro-prime-da-processor

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #5,606 of 6,500
PCM67 is not a 1-bit DAC it is an 18-bit DAC coupled with a 1-bit dac so it is a hybrid

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5,607 of 6,500
  "All that has changed with the introduction of the new Theta DS Pro Prime digital processor. The Prime incorporates a 4x-oversampling digital filter performed by a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) chip under software control, coupled with a Philips 7350 Bitstream DAC. Theta's reason for using the Bitstream DAC was price: a 7350 is far cheaper to implement than a pair of multi-bit DACs with their attendant Most Significant Bit (MSB) trimmer and need for individual calibration at the factory." - Stereophile review of Pro Prime

I think you are talking about the Prime II, Basic II, and Progeny

The best way to find out would be to have someone crack theirs open and look. The only decent image of the Basic's internals are here. There is a Theta sticker covering up the chip, and based on it's size & pin configuration it could be either a Philips 7350 or a PCM67P. 

It's also listed on the master D/A converter list as PCM67P here

Edit: On closer examination of the photo, the master list got this wrong on this one. Stereophile and Wahsmoh got it right. (Will send them a message to correct it.) The PCM67P is a 16-Pin DIP chip; the one in the image is clearly not. Also, next to the Theta stickered image is the 44 pin SAA 7350 chip. You can find the documentation for that here

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #5,608 of 6,500
I think that the old Theta DAC are a good deal if you play alot of CDs.  The sound is pretty engaging.  Still looking for one that rubs in 220v.

What about the now defunk Audio Alchemy?  They used to be pretty good

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #5,610 of 6,500
Show us the bare facts........  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back