Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 31, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,466 of 6,500
I don't know where you're seeing this. I just looked in the schiit site and adding the usb card to a new order costs $100 while getting a new card for self install costs $150.

I paid $150 for my self-install about 1.5 years ago.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,467 of 6,500
It's difficult to assess the TT as a DAC because I only heard it as a combined DAC/amp. Went through a few familiar tracks with HD800 and Bill-p modded HE560s. I would say the TT is a massive improvement over the Hugo. The Hugo couldn't drive a lot of headphones well - just soft and flaccid. The TT provided good warmth. Good power. A little bit overly warm because stock HD800s should sound dry on a neutral system. I felt the warmth was on the verge of being a little bit too syrupy. Microdetail and microdynamics were on the verge on being almost, almost good enough; but fell just short. My ear tends to overly strain to hear this fine resolution that I know exists in certain recordings - but I get this feeling of being unfulfilled when microdetail and microdynamics aren't there. Also, I noted after three songs, my ears started to get fatigued. I started to notice glare. Longer session induced digititus. To put things in proper context, I am sensitive to these digititus effects than others....

Purrin,I have to confess that I do not understand exactly if you like the TT or not. is it better than the HUGO ?

Indeed, you start by saying something very encouraging (as a HUGO owner mysefl) : " I would say the TT is a massive improvement over the Hugo"

but...then

what you add is not encouraging at all ! :" ....... A little bit overly warm...... I felt the warmth was on the verge of being a little bit too syrupy.....my ears started to get fatigued. I started to notice glare. Longer session induced digititus.... The fatigue is troubling at the TT's price point."

So... shoud I upgrade" my HUGO to the TT (for headphone use with TH-900, ED5 and LCD-X) ?

thanks

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #3,468 of 6,500
I don't know where you're seeing this. I just looked in the schiit site and adding the usb card to a new order costs $100 while getting a new card for self install costs $150.

click on the USB Gen 2 card on the left.

on the Installation Please Select, Pull down:
change to
 No Installation.

cost of USB card drops to $100.  
click Add to Cart.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,469 of 6,500

So... shoud I upgrade" my HUGO to the TT (for headphone use with TH-900, ED5 and LCD-X) ?

thanks

The TT is A LOT of money. I like to think of the TT as a BMW M4. I personally am not a fan of the M4, but I understand why some people love it.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,470 of 6,500

thanks

The TT is A LOT of money. I like to think of the TT as a BMW M4. I personally am not a fan of the M4, but I understand why some people love it.

If the TT was an M4, what would be a turbo Elise?

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3,474 of 6,500

Such a retirement usually involves violent means, such as spears, crucifix and/or fire.

'Tis a sad day today.

Not to mention resurrection.  Thought that may be a myth made up later...First Nawguy, now this...

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #3,475 of 6,500

Purrin,I have to confess that I do not understand exactly if you like the TT or not. is it better than the HUGO ?

Indeed, you start by saying something very encouraging (as a HUGO owner mysefl) : " I would say the TT is a massive improvement over the Hugo"

but...then

what you add is not encouraging at all ! :" ....... A little bit overly warm...... I felt the warmth was on the verge of being a little bit too syrupy.....my ears started to get fatigued. I started to notice glare. Longer session induced digititus.... The fatigue is troubling at the TT's price point."

thanks

My friend, I sense that you're young and well meaning, but you seem to move from thread to thread looking for the 'end game' : we've all been there and I'm absolutely convinced that it doesnt exist. You need to find a Chord dealer who is prepared to give you at least 2 weeks with the TT in your own rig with your music - I dont know how simple that will be, but the alternative is to buy from someone with a very generous return policy. No single Head-Fier will ever be able to give you an ironclad guarantee that what works for them will work for you - even the once 'impregnable' BHSE+SR-009 combination now appears to have its critics. That's simply the way it is in this hobby, I'm afraid. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #3,476 of 6,500

My friend, I sense that you're young and well meaning, but you seem to move from thread to thread looking for the 'end game' : we've all been there and I'm absolutely convinced that it doesnt exist. You need to find a Chord dealer who is prepared to give you at least 2 weeks with the TT in your own rig with your music - I dont know how simple that will be, but the alternative is to buy from someone with a very generous return policy. No single Head-Fier will ever be able to give you an ironclad guarantee that what works for them will work for you - even the once 'impregnable' BHSE+SR-009 combination now appears to have its critics. That's simply the way it is in this hobby, I'm afraid. 

Also I would like to add to that, that Purrin is not the ultimate authority on what's the best setups, he merely said what he considers the best for himself (And apparently why he hates Chocolate Ice Cream)

So yes, best to try it for yourself and see how you like it...

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,477 of 6,500

Also I would like to add to that, that Purrin is not the ultimate authority on what's the best setups, he merely said what he considers the best for himself (And apparently why he hates Chocolate Ice Cream)

While true, he certainly has heard more DACs than any of us, and many times side by side, with some of the most transparent amps and headphones around. Trying what he has tried would cost many of us our houses or cars or family lol ... So it is good to have a guideline to what's currently the best DAC from his perspective, and make a wise purchase decision afterwards.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,479 of 6,500

While true, he certainly has heard more DACs than any of us, and many times side by side, with some of the most transparent amps and headphones around. Trying what he has tried would cost many of us our houses or cars or family lol ... So it is good to have a guideline to what's currently the best DAC from his perspective, and make a wise purchase decision afterwards.

I don't really think it's working like that. A guideline is good, but right now you're listening to the opinion of one person or one group of people who might very well share similar tastes, and if you like that taste, then go ahead and join them.

I've stopped choosing that way, I do comparisons see what's good, read reviews, if I get the chance than I listen to it myself, for example even though I could have gotten Stax SR-009 if I really wanted, I don't have the chance to listen to it, a lot of people claim it's the best thing since sliced bread, even people who have helped me choose the LCD-3 (MacedonianHero is one) but I never got around to actually buying it and now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I will, I'd rather really go for the HE-1000 which won't require me of a special amp.

Never look at 1 source of information for your decisions. Try to have an opinion yourself, too... Just some advice.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,480 of 6,500

Yeah,but IMHO,he comes pretty damn close.

If you go to P.1 of this thread,he covers a lot of territory,and with some of the finest dacs,around,even some that were built 25 years ago
Purrin knows his *hit,and usually what he says goes,in my book,anyway.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back