Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Mar 29, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,377 of 6,500
Have you tried the demagnetising tracks? Sounds like massive BS but works for me with cables. They are meant to reduce warm up and burn in time. Just yesterday my Zeus cable sounded sibilant as hell until I used the tracks. (Didn't use the Zeus for a couple of months)

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #3,378 of 6,500
So for real, is it being suggested that people have to leave the Yggy on all the time, consuming power? I will be honest, that is a little disappointing to hear if true. How much power does it consume when idle?

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3,379 of 6,500
Since Friday 8pm. I think putting music through it and flipping the bits hastens the warm up.

Hey Marv, do you think the Yggy is a better match for the 445 or the Ragnarok when driving HD800s? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,380 of 6,500
  So for real, is it being suggested that people have to leave the Yggy on all the time, consuming power? I will be honest, that is a little disappointing to hear if true. How much power does it consume when idle?

Thus far I've not seen any mention of the 'idle' power draw.
But judging from other hi-end dacs I figure no more than ≈ 50 watts (my PWD draws ≈ 30 watts)

JJ

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #3,381 of 6,500

Mike did post some estimates of what all the gear in his house - audio, A/V etc - was drawing (he leaves everything on) and I seem to recall that nothing stood out as excessive. End of the day, we're talking a single source component that potentially is going to put a smile on your face every single time you pump music through it - surely that's worth a few cents on your electricity bill ? If your concern is the environment, you'd better take that up with Mike - he seems typically forthright on that issue too. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3,382 of 6,500

30 watts.

P.S. I have always left my DACs on running continuously.

Hey Marv, do you think the Yggy is a better match for the 445 or the Ragnarok when driving HD800s? 

Yggy is 445 is fine if you already have the 445 with HD800. Really no need for Rag.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,384 of 6,500

Another concern is how long it'll last and a even bigger concern is how fast till sound quality starts to deteriorate due to aging components...

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #3,385 of 6,500
  I hear that placing a few Audio Pebbles™ on the YGGY it will cut warmup time in half by controlling the initial tone.

I was going to put some sulfur crystals on top, so that my room wold smell like brimstone while listening to organ music. Make the warm up faster is merely a bonus
wink_face.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #3,386 of 6,500
I have heard a lot of indifferent to unimpressed impressions from canjam in regards to the yggy. This is quiet surprising.

everyone seemed to love the HUGO TT though - well, for the most part.  

I will be reviewing the TT soon - it would be great to have the yggy there for AB comparisions 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #3,387 of 6,500
Most ears weren't burned in / warmed up to listen to the awesomeness. :). More seriously, didn't impressions improve on sunday? Seems like Amos was thrilled when listening to it on sunday night (he must have been plenty warmed up in the ears by then lol :wink: ).
Arnaud

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #3,388 of 6,500
Most ears weren't burned in / warmed up to listen to the awesomeness.
smily_headphones1.gif
. More seriously, didn't impressions improve on sunday? Seems like Amos was thrilled when listening to it on sunday night (he must have been plenty warmed up in the ears by then lol
wink.gif
).
Arnaud

ill have to go back and read through more 

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,389 of 6,500
You've got to be messing with me. A week warm-up time. A damn week. Is the dac made of thousand year frozen mammoth bones or something. 

I guess you really do learn or hear something new in audio everyday.

Would be a funny ass story if intel said their processors need to be on 2 weeks to reach max cpu speed.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,390 of 6,500
I'm willing to potentially buy a week long 'warm-up' period for Yggy (I've not heard it yet),  but I'm doubtful this is actually 'warm-up' in the sense of getting to a stable warm temperature.  It has to be something else, more along the lines of warming up + electrical field chemical diffusion effects.  Along the lines of boiling gasses out of water, where you need to actually boil the water long enough to let the gasses get out  -- the time scale is otherwise non-plausible.  It would be nice to know what's actually happening, ideally so this could be addressed by design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back