Thoughts of my new speaker setup?
Sep 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KONAKONA

Banned
Well I've got a new speaker setup for, well frankly for when I feel like having some extra noise. It does seem to have some detail to it but the sound signature is definitely a bit different.

Anyway, I have a set of JBL eon 15s (First generation, if it makes any difference), hooked up to a mackie FR M1200 amp. From there it's hooked up to some little mackie mixing board and that's hooked up to whatever source I fancy at the time. So it's essentially a PA setup, but what do you all think of it for regular volume music listening?

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 3
No posts? Guess I'll go ahead and post my quick impressions of them....

The bass is a bit rolled off. A little EQ on the mixing board can fix that up but at higher volumes and on songs with large amounts of unatural bass (see: electronic) it just sounds a bit... well off. Fantastic for natural bass though, kick drums sound brilliant. The mids are maybe a bit recessed compared to the highs, but are extremely detailed. I'd have to A/B to confirm but I'm 90% sure that the level of detail blows away any headphones I've listened to. The highs are rather prominent and have a nasty resonance somewhere, but are otherwise good. There happens to be a nice graphic EQ sitting above the amp so I might do some work on that to tame that resonance later on.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 3
I think you are getting more dynamics than detail. I completely understand and agree except for that part. Most of the reason headphones have more detail is that they have no room issues like all speaker setups have. Now, what is the difference there? My brain is refusing to communicate anything more on that sorry.

Anyway, I have a neat little near field setup which I love too. I am certain that some of my past headphone rigs were more accurate and musical but yeah, having a sub and the huge sound stage. Big swings in volume and power really brings some realism to the sound for me that headphones can't match obviously. Not yet anyway.

So long as you dig it, it is dug.

All that matters yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back