Thoughts, impressions, reviews of Myth Labs Eclipse Headphones?
May 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leron9999

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I saw this pair of headphones, Myth Labs Eclipse, but I've never heard of it before. I was wondering if anybody here has ever tried them out. According to the reviews at Amazon, they are neutral-sounding, and I am one hell of a sucker for neutral cans. I was actually thinking of getting these over a pair of V-MODA M-100 headphones. What do you guys think? Should I get these, or are there better neutral cans out there?

http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Labs-Eclipse-Headphones-Personalized/dp/B00B5I9282/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

May 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 11
I have never heard them, but if you were after neutral cans why on earth did you think about M100's?

May 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Wait, those aren't neutral? I read about the booming bass, but it kept being followed by decent mids and highs, so I assumed it was sorta neutral. o.0 I'm kinda new to this haha. I'm open to suggestions though.

May 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 11
neutral phones generally one of a relatively flat frequency curve ( think HD600 and the likes of as a well respected and relatively mid range headphone)

Once we decide what flavour you would want you can then find out what headphone would be good for you.

So better then asking for anything "neutral" which is lost on you at the moment (you learn in time though, don't worry!) it would be better for me to ask, what type of music do you find yourself most often listening to?

Hope I've helped,

Caken.

May 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the advice. I listen to all sorts of genres from classical to dubstep, so I prefer having a set of headphones that can accommodate any genre (which is why I'm looking for neutral cans).

May 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Fair enough,

That makes a lot of sense, did you have a budget in mind and are you objective to Open or closed headphones?

Open headphones tend to be better at the trade off of isolation and thus, tend not to be designed with user out-and-about practicality in mind.

May 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 11
My budget is $300 max. I like closed headphones more since they usually have decent isolation while I'm on the trains, and they're more or less comfy. Uh, closed headphones are the ones that swallow-up the entire ear right? Or is that something else entirely? For reference, I'm currently using a pair of Superlux HD661 headphones.

May 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 11
You can have full sized and on ear closed back 
I do not call myself an expert on closed backs and nor have i ever, but if you are after neutral i would most likely go for a studio monitor type headphone. the SRH840 from Shure comes to mind,
If you are after a little more bass probably would be worth chasing the M100 or DT770 80 (although this may need an portable amp such as a Fiio E11 or E17) thats in terms of full sized, however i can vouch for the DT770 80's isolation as fairly substantial. i own a pair myself and they are one of 3 "outside usage" headphones i keep.

On ear design i would Advise towards the HD25-II or Amperior. these are pretty much unbreakable and have a relatively large following.

Considering your budget a good idea would be to find an audioshop which stocks decent headphones, find out what you like and then try and find that pair in the Head-fi used section, you may be able to get lots more for your money that way.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 11
I had a pair of these last year and I thought the sound was pretty great; balanced with a lot of detail. The two issues I had with them was the clamping force and the twist-on speakers. When I wore them, I felt like I had a vise grip on my head - I couldn't wear them for more than an hour because the pressure was too much (which also caused them to isolate well). The other problem was with their twist-on design; if I adjusted my headphones sometimes one side would start to un-twist, which would cause a disconnection on that side. Sound quality and isolation were great, the design issues just made it difficult to really enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back