This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,186 of 1,370
Quote:
Love your jokes!
tongue.gif
got a good kick out of the trampoline one, hahaha.

I liked the Leech one

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,188 of 1,370
Has anyone encountered an occasional "popping" sound? I don't know what's wrong with mine but it's really starting to irritate me. It happens once like every few minutes or so

With my M&M combo, I was getting this popping sound b/c of the cheap USB cable that I was using to connect the Modi DAC to the PC. I switched to a USB cable with a thicker sheath (better shielding?) and a ferrite bead at both ends, and the popping noise was gone.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,189 of 1,370
With my M&M combo, I was getting this popping sound b/c of the cheap USB cable that I was using to connect the Modi DAC to the PC. I switched to a USB cable with a thicker sheath (better shielding?) and a ferrite bead at both ends, and the popping noise was gone.

Ok. I'll try going for a better or at least shorter cable. Thanks. Freaking radio shack man.
such garbage ughh

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,192 of 1,370

Should i get the Magni/Modi combo or the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 for the HD600?

Your posting this in the magni /modi thread

HA!! Yah, you may want to start your own thread or ask if any magni modi owners have tried with the HD600 and see what their impressions were. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,193 of 1,370
  Ok. I'll try going for a better or at least shorter cable. Thanks. Freaking radio shack man.
such garbage ughh

Oh gawd it could also be a latency issue, not sure about poping

but I was having clicks and drop outs with my oDac and MStage due to latency spikes and that was playing from my HDD 

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,195 of 1,370
So guys, I'm on the verge of ordering this stack for myself.
Or well.. actually, my awesome but possibly insane girlfriend wants to buy this for me as a random gift. Did I mention she's awesome?

Anyway, I already emailed Schiit with some questions (and holy schiit their responses were fast).

My main concerns were powering my K240 Studios (the 600ohm ones) and the sound signature of these.

After their response and reading more reviews... it seems like the Magni will have no problem powering those cans lol.

I still worry about the sound signature though. I like more playful sound, more bass. But not inaccurate muddy bass (ahem Beats).
For example, my K240S are too neutral for me when I listen to stuff like hiphop or electronic (house, trance, edm, etc), but they're great for gaming and basically any other genre.
My TMA-1s are almost perfect, but the bass seems a bit muddy at times.
And I have some Sony XB-500s in the mail that I won on ebay ($51 after s/h).
EDIT: The XBs were kind of unexpected, I threw what I thought was a lowball bid and won.. lol. So my headphones are all low-mid range in terms of prices. I want to save up for a good mid-high ($300-400) pair, but not sure which I should go for... So this is off topic, but if anyone has ideas, that fits in with my preferences, do feel free to suggest :D

Any opinions about this?
I've thought of getting something like the Aune T1 instead, but I'd rather not experiment with a bunch of different tubes (even though I think tubes are beautiful, I dont have the time or money).

Oh I was also wondering how physically stable the stack is; as in, does the Magni slip an slide around on top of the Modi real easily? Am I going to want to use some carefully placed blu-tac to keep everything together? lol

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,197 of 1,370
The rubber feet hold them in place nicely, although if you hook them up with thicker cables you might want to have a rubber band or something so the one on top doesn't lift up.

For sound, they're basically going to feed your headphones with a clean/accurate/clinical sound, so all you're really going to hear is the sound characteristics of your headphones. If you want a different sound signature you can always EQ it, but the M&M don't impart much of a sound signature of their own.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,198 of 1,370
No they're both decently heavy and have rubber feet.

Awesomee, thanks. 

The rubber feet hold them in place nicely, although if you hook them up with thicker cables you might want to have a rubber band or something so the one on top doesn't lift up.

For sound, they're basically going to feed your headphones with a clean/accurate/clinical sound, so all you're really going to hear is the sound characteristics of your headphones. If you want a different sound signature you can always EQ it, but the M&M don't impart much of a sound signature of their own.

Once again, awesome, wooh. So wait, do I still need to be careful when plugging/unplugging the headphones?
They're so small.. i just keep imaging them being flung around by accident lol.

And yes, I did see a review that said the PYST RCA cables from Schiit are too thick and need a rubberbband lol.

But yay. The fact that the stack does not color my headphones one way or the other is good news. thanks!

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,199 of 1,370
... Once again, awesome, wooh. So wait, do I still need to be careful when plugging/unplugging the headphones?
They're so small.. i just keep imaging them being flung around by accident lol.

And yes, I did see a review that said the PYST RCA cables from Schiit are too thick and need a rubberbband lol.

But yay. The fact that the stack does not color my headphones one way or the other is good news. thanks!

Unplugging: yes. You can pick the Magni up with a plugged in headphone cable lol. I don't unplug my cans often but I have to hold it down when I do. These devices are small. On the bright side, they are built like tanks, so a little accidental picking up with the headphone cable probably isn't going to do any damage.
I drive a DT770-250 ohm with mine. I usually keep the volume control around 1pm or so. I can drive myself to deafness with the Magni
L3000.gif

Personally, I find my M+M stack to be very clean and powerful. I remain amazed at the quality of this gear for the price.

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,200 of 1,370
yaaa...couldnt believe my eyes when i first sighted these twins...so tiny...so metal...so buy-able... so "do they work..? " 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back