This place is LAGGY
Aug 19, 2005 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
Like right now. Is the server overloaded (www6/www4 usually makes no diff) or should I kick my ISP?

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Like right now. Is the server overloaded (www6/www4 usually makes no diff) or should I kick my ISP?

It's not your ISP. Sometimes there's just slowage or no response. Happens with massive work connection or dsl at home.

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 28
actually things are running full speed for me right now. Yesterday or a day before that things (at home) were slow, but that could have been my dsl connection.

Jude and Neil do a great job keeping speeds fast, especially since the site's renovation a while back. Thanks again, chiefs!

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 28
All of Westone's employees probably logged on to check out the new place they sponsored
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 28
Currently Active Users: 960 (295 members and 665 guests)

Most users ever online was 1496, 12-13-2004 at 06:33 PM. When we got "Slashdotted." Place was slow as molasses but still functional and didn't crash, so kudos to Head-fi!

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 28
Browsing the forums in general is fast.

However I have noticed that posting messages, sending PM's, and accessing the Photo Gallery has been getting significantly slower these days.

But since it's a Friday and most Head-fiers have better things to do (most of us
tongue.gif
) access is faster today than it was yesterday, that's for sure.

-Ed

Aug 19, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 28
Yup, occasional lags became more frequent lately, it seems...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 28
The traffic around here as of late has been amazing. I had trouble sleeping last night so I logged in at around 4:30 am *Eastern time* and there where over 800 users online! That's unreal, man I remember back in the day when you would be lucky if there where more than 50 users online at that time of morning. My hat's off to Jude and Neil for keeping things running as quickly and smoothly at Head-Fi as they do, all things considered.

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 28
I have contacted jude in the past with recommendations for software enhancements that can be installed - gzip and a PHP accelerator like eaccelerator to make the forum faster, which to my knowledge has never been installed on here before. There is no point in a server upgrade when the software side of this box that hosts head-fi hasn't been fully optimized. He seemed mildly interested, and I hope that he looks into it further.

If my recommendations were implemented, there would be a significant improvement in the bandwidth consumed by PHP, the size of all forum threads would also be less* - making it easier for international users and dial-up folks, and more.

* - (gzip usually condenses output to 10% of the original size)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back