This is what the best audio gear is trying to duplicate
Jun 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
The title say's exactly what I was thinking while paralyzed by what I was hearing Friday night. Pink Martini and the San Francisco Symphony at Davies Symphony Hall were simply stunning and unlike anything I've ever heard.

I've never been to a show like this but my wife and I were both speechless and I kept thinking to myself that all this gear we lust after, speakers, headphones, sources, amps, etc. etc. are all aiming to duplicate the incredible acoustics of a well designed theater/hall and natural sound of live instruments and vocals. Moral of the story? Spend less on gear and more on tickets!

DSC03955.jpg

DSC03964.jpg

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 9
True, but the bottom line is that a cd is more convenient and consistent than a live show, especially if you don't live in a city with a good symphony or concert hall.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Awesome pics! I love Pink Martini. I agree, live music is best. There is no comparison to living in the moment. Music is so much more powerful in real time. It's what life is about.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Pink Martini is awesome - I caught them playing on New Year's Eve in Portland several years back. I've been a fan ever since.

I completely agree about live performances. There's nothing better.

However, you don't need to buy tickets. Last night, I hit a local bar that had a couple guys playing acoustic guitar. No cover, bough a couple of beers, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are lots of other opportunities for free/cheap live music and I always try to catch as much as possible.

Recorded music is more of an event in itself. You know what the set list is, you're familiar with your gear, and it's not a substitute for the real thing. But you can still enjoy it. I like being able to choose either.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 9
After so many years of going to shows like NIN, Tool, Brad Paisley, local Jazz/rock/metal I think I was just really hungry for something I'd never done before. It really was an amazing experience and I will be looking to see things in similar venues for sure. I'm going to keep an eye out for Hilary Hahn to play there and I'll definitely be seeing Pink Martini when they come back.

FYI - They have a new album due out in October and it will be their first orchestral album. They played a few songs from it which were all incredible and one that was in Turkish which was smokin hot!

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Looking at that venue, I cannot imagine what a great place it would be for a small intimate rock/metal concert with minimal high quality amps. No reverb, no wind, and all high class patrons (I can hope).

I believe Tool did something kind of like this in RCMH.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 9
While I love live musical experiences, I still love my personal music collection. Two different entitties to be enjoyed in different ways. The last concert I went to was an intimate one for California Guitar Trio. They were absolutely awesome and I can't wait to see them again. I doubt I'll hear that same experience at home from gear in my lifetime but I certainly hope it gets to that level someday.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 9
My son had a band concert (he plays drums, very well I might add) earlier this year. He is in 7th grade. We were at our high school's auditorium.

At the end, as a treat from the band director, the ENTIRE high school marching band came in, drums first. They slowly filled the stage in front of the younger band, and eventually filled up the aisles.

WOW, WHAT A SOUND!!! This was easily the best, most visceral musical experience I've ever had. I was sitting smack dab in the middle of it all in perfect bliss.

I can't imagine any audio system on Earth able to reproduce what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back