this is one expensive hobby!
Feb 23, 2022 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

madmonkey

100+ Head-Fier
i love music i adore when it sounds great. but its all out of my budget every time i save up it eiter goes up in price or this inflation screwed my budget. but i still like reading all your post.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 27
Not necessarily true. There was a time when I loved $20 IEMs. You can get involved with many levels of Head-Fi. Money is not super important. Though the final 10% cost some cash!

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 27
The problem with being an audiophile is the more you read the easier it is to get sucked into hype that hoovers cash from your wallet.

Sooner or later you'll read a review which tricks the emotional part of your brain into confusing a want with a need, and when the new shiny fails to satisfy on par with the cash you spent like a gambler you'll be tempted to double down on something even more expensive to 'make back your losses'. UM Mest underwhelming? Traillii will fix it.

Don't lose sight of the fundamental truth most of your enjoyment will & should come from the music. Discovering a new artist or genre is more rewarding than buying more gear and a hell of a lot cheaper in the age of streaming. That said I'm not one of these guys who'll tell you "Gear doesn't matter, it's all about the music!". Gear does matter, we're crazy but we're not that crazy. It'll help you form a stronger emotional connection to the music you love and that's a priceless thing because music is such a joy.

Being happy with less is how you win at life, someone will always have more. Indulge occasionally but don't go nuts beyond your means or it stops being worth the guilt.

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 27
Yes, being impressed with less is the key. Emotional connection with music can be had for just a little!
The problem with being an audiophile is the more you read the easier it is to get sucked into hype that hoovers cash from your wallet.

Sooner or later you'll read a review which tricks the emotional part of your brain into confusing a want with a need, and when the new shiny fails to satisfy on par with the cash you spent like a gambler you'll be tempted to double down on something even more expensive to 'make back your losses'. UM Mest underwhelming? Traillii will fix it.

Don't lose sight of the fundamental truth most of your enjoyment will & should come from the music. Discovering a new artist or genre is more rewarding than buying more gear and a hell of a lot cheaper in the age of streaming. That said I'm not one of these guys who'll tell you "Gear doesn't matter, it's all about the music!". Gear does matter, we're crazy but we're not that crazy. It'll help you form a stronger emotional connection to the music you love and that's a priceless thing because music is such a joy.

Being happy with less is how you win at life, someone will always have more. Indulge occasionally but don't go nuts beyond your means or it stops being worth the guilt.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 27
Ty for your input. This is what I use now cost me 40 bucks sounds great for the price

Attachments

• PXL_20220223_065820951.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220223_065820951.MP.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 27
Honestly, the fun part is the journey. I’m old and I’ve been on the journey for a lifetime, it seems? The important part.......that you can’t buy.............is time!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 27
A person could enter and leave the hobby with a dongle and something like a moondrop arya. Job done. The crucial bit is to then leave head fi!

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 27
nor sure if i should be insulted but still hope you have a nice day
hehe nah, its nice to have you here, but being on head fi does lead to expensive purchases! Used market is a great way to get higher end stuff too

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 27
nor sure if i should be insulted but still hope you have a nice day
I think he's suggesting leave Head-Fi to either avoid the temptation to buy things or avoid the feeling you're missing out.

In any case, this whole theme seems to recur too often. I don't see it as terribly complicated: you're on a budget, get a pair of Koss Porta Pro and a dongle. That's about $100 at most. Enjoying music doesn't mean having to spend thousands more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back