This could spell the beginning of the end for HD-DVD!
Jan 5, 2008 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE ITS HIGH-DEFINITION DVD TITLES EXCLUSIVELY IN THE BLU-RAY DISC FORMAT BEGINNING LATER THIS YEAR[/size]

Source here and here

Quote:

Decision Made in Response to Strong Consumer Preference for Format

(January 4, 2008 - Burbank, CA) - In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros.
Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the
Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry
Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner
Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a
strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give
consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-
definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We
believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for
mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most
importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format
and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray
releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end
of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to
provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware
prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner
Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by
Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is
the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward
high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and
becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said
Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that
recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home
entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner
Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high
definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look
forward to working with them on other projects in the future.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 46
A friend of mine has been buying quite a few Blu-Ray dvds recently and was complaining that he's had problems playing several of them. Has also had two recent incidents where in a 2 dvd set, the second dvd was a mislabeled copy of the first disc. I wonder if this seemingly poor QC is because of a rush to get new software to market quickly, or because the technical bugs with Blu-Ray haven't yet been fully worked out, or just bad luck. He's tried the discs on a friend's player as well and they still don't work correctly. I could tell he's beginning to sour on the whole thing.

Anybody else noticing abnormal QC issues with these new formats?

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine has been buying quite a few Blu-Ray dvds recently and was complaining that he's had problems playing several of them. Has also had two recent incidents where in a 2 dvd set, the second dvd was a mislabeled copy of the first disc. I wonder if this seemingly poor QC is because of a rush to get new software to market quickly, or because the technical bugs with Blu-Ray haven't yet been fully worked out, or just bad luck. He's tried the discs on a friend's player as well and they still don't work correctly. I could tell he's beginning to sour on the whole thing.

Anybody else noticing abnormal QC issues with these new formats?

From what I have read it's been more issues with players and firmware. My uncle bough a Sony BDS300 this past weekend and I brought Pirates 3 over for him because I know it is a problem disc for lots of players. It had issues playing the movie but after he downloaded the firmware update it was fine.

The Samy BD1200 is supposed to have a lot of problems too... which is sad because it is supposed to produce one the best BD pictures.

As far as discs I've read about people with Potter sets getting BD or HD copies mixed in on both sides.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 46
Blu-ray now has 70% exclusive access to Hollywood studio content.

a_090BillPaxton1.jpg

"Game over man... game over!!!"

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 46
Wow, thanks for the heads up Wake. For us that wanted this stupid format war done with, this is good news. I wonder if the HD-DVD camp has any more tricks up their sleeve?

It's odd to finally see this come to pass. It's been rumored for a year.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks for the heads up Wake. For us that wanted this stupid format war done with, this is good news. I wonder if the HD-DVD camp has any more tricks up their sleeve?

It's odd to finally see this come to pass. It's been rumored for a year.

It should be very interesting to see how Paramount and Universal respond.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 46
the only thing that has to happen is the HD-DVD player makers come out with a cheaply priced player and the people then the studios will follow. simple business tactic, just get the players in peoples homes in mass and the studios will have no choice but to follow what the customer wants. i am sure wake has looked into this a lot more then i have but i personally think Blue ray is over hyped and already at its limit in terms of putting more info and future capability to expand..

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only thing that has to happen is the HD-DVD player makers come out with a cheaply priced player and the people then the studios will follow. simple business tactic, just get the players in peoples homes in mass and the studios will have no choice but to follow what the customer wants. i am sure wake has looked into this a lot more then i have but i personally think Blue ray is over hyped and already at its limit in terms of putting more info and future capability to expand..

The HD players have always been cheaper but the studios don't care about how many players are sold they care about how many discs are sold and Blu has out-sold red every week for over 52 weeks straight with an average of around 65% to 35%.

Perhaps the people looking to get into HDM for less are the same people that are renting from netflicks instead of buying the disc... hard to say. One thing for certain is that Blu-ray has more space available on the disc so I'm not sure what you mean by limitations but I own both a HD and BD player so this is sad news for BOGO deals
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 46
Jan 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 46
HD-DVD was priced better, and the stand alone players were a fairly easy choice. BluRay was released before the format was finalized, players were expensive, and thus outside of the PS3 the unit sales dragged.

HD-DVD had a nice run, I really can't see them winning in light of this news. I guess I'll have to pick up a dual format player in the future, when the units get cheaper and more well rounded. I can only hope HD-DVD retains support for a good long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back