Thinking of upgrading ..i'm willing to go 3-4k
Mar 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jkane101

Head-Fier
My current gear is
computer(windows10) > Lyr > Bifrost USB Gen2 > LCD2 rev2

Now here's the rub and why I'm looking for opinions ...most of the time I'm simply streaming music from either Slacker or Spotify (both supposedly @ 320kbps).

I understand that asking if it's 'worth' it cant really be answered, as worth is defined differently for us all, so I ask this. If my limitations are in the streaming itself will upgrading bring forth a better sound? And if you think so then recommend what you would buy as upgrades.

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 11
The thing I'd be worried about is that by upgrading you would start to really notice the flaws in your music. The lcd2 while a great sounding headphone is known to be kind to poor quality recordings. Not really sure what other headphone of it's caliber or of higher quality would nut result in you hearing flaws because of the streaming.

Maybe have your headphones upgraded by audeze to the lcd2f if they will do that. You gain some things from the 2.2c. The effect the changes have are covered in many reviews so check those out and weigh it.

Also I'm assuming you chain is not really

pc -> lyr -> bifrost -> lcd2

And is actually

PC -> bifrost -> lyr -> lcd2

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 11
You're going to get most of your improvement from new headphones. If you don't like what you're hearing then you would benefit most from some new headphones. If you're just not sure what you might be missing then I don't think you'll find much better. There are newer versions of your Schiit gear but I honestly don't think it would make a huge difference. It comes down to what you want and what you currently have (hear).

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 11
You're thinking of upgrading your current setup. Before everybody starts randomly suggesting new stuff, think about the following things. What makes you want to upgrade? In what areas do you want to improve it? Please specify the things that you are currently not satisfied with?

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Spotify is full of poor masters and remasters so I wouldn't recommend spending that much money on audio equipment if you're gonna use that. It doesn't really matter if you use lossless or 320 kbps as long as the master is good. So that's the first thing I would work on. Next thing would be to find out if you're happy with your headphone or if you want a different one by going to meets and visit audio shops and try out stuff. When all that is done it's time to look on your DAC and amplifier and see if anything needs to be changed :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Mar 19, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 11
  Spotify is full of poor masters and remasters so I wouldn't recommend spending that much money on audio equipment if you're gonna use that. It doesn't really matter if you use lossless or 320 kbps as long as the master is good. So that's the first thing I would work on. Next thing would be to find out if you're happy with your headphone or if you want a different one by going to meets and visit audio shops and try out stuff. When all that is done it's time to look on your DAC and amplifier and see if anything needs to be changed :)

Yeah I think you may be on to something here. I will spend some at some of the audio shops in NYC sampling different cans and components.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 11
  You're thinking of upgrading your current setup. Before everybody starts randomly suggesting new stuff, think about the following things. What makes you want to upgrade? In what areas do you want to improve it? Please specify the things that you are currently not satisfied with?

I'm not an audiophile, cant really talk all the technical gargon...but I DO love music. Love listening for long periods. I guess what I'm really after is the ability to hear each of the instruments separately from a rock band. ..to hear the singers subtle breathing on slower ballads or the pluck of the guitar string. Music so clear that i would think the violinist is right in front of me.

I'm thinking that to achieve most of that it starts with the source, which admittedly for me, is not optimum. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not completely unsatisfied with what I have but I'm sure it can be better

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 11
  Yeah I think you may be on to something here. I will spend some at some of the audio shops in NYC sampling different cans and components.

You might want to check out this event if youre near NYC.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all the responses and advice so far.

This was a great test and I appreciate you posting it. I picked five of of six uncompressed wav files and they were rather easy to differentiate, the only one I had trouble with was the Katy Perry clip.

Glad you enjoyed it. It seems that you could appreciate better gear with your good hearing. I would say the next step would be to identify your favorite sound signature.

A good start is to check out frequency charts to help you identify which HPs have the sound signature you desire.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

LCD2s have a bass tilt with smooth mids and highs. If you love them, going up the Audeze line may be perfect for you with the current fazor revision.

Note that certain HPs would appreciate proper power. With your budget and your search for more detail, the marriage of HP and amp is vital. If you think of your upgrade in steps, think of getting it "right" in this order. 1. HP. 1A. Amp. 2. Dac. 3. Cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back