Thinking of selling my B&W C5s for something more comfortable
Nov 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

njgeek

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a pair of B&W C5s that I absolutely love.  The sound is incredible with smooth bass and clear highs with mostly strong mids. However, I have two issues with them:

1) No matter what tips I use, regardless of fit or seal, people outside seem to be able to hear them fairly well.  This sucks on the train.  I've read that this is normal for them because of their 'micro-porous filter'.
2) No matter what tips I use, I can't seem to find any comfort; this could partially be because I'm trying to get tips with a tight enough seal to stop noise leakage (see #1).

I've tried the original buds in all sizes, Comply TX-400 tips in all sizes, and the entire Monster Gel/Foam SuperTip sampler pack.  Larger tips really irritate my outer ear, and smaller buds sound great but are loud to outside listeners.  Not sure if I'm getting a bad fit or it's just the standard.

I'd like to find some IEMs around $200-300 with the absolute best possible comfort and sound that at least comes close to the C5s. I like bass but not too booming/exaggerated.  I want clean crisp sound and I want to forget the headphones are there completely.  I also want people sitting next to me to forget I'm wearing headphones completely.

Right now I'm considering some Etymotics with Custom Fit molds.  I've read that the standard triple flange is fairly uncomfortable.  Bose MiE2i's feel great, but don't sound good at all.  Not really sure which Etys are good and if any have inline mic controls for the iPhone.

Any ideas?  Good sound, superb comfort, and superb containment of sound?  iPhone inline mic/controls a plus.

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 4
I ended up ordering the Westone UM3X (with removable cable) from Amazon and should have it tomorrow.  Thanks for the tip!  Now let's hope I can get a decent price for my C5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back