Thinking of picking up a DSLR.
May 21, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #61 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of an iPod you got a what??
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

It's good to be in all camps. There's a reason why certain things are popular especially with electronics. They just work. But once you're in it in all camps, you know you're off the deep end though. I would like to use canon, nikon, and minolta lenses.

Hehe... actually, i have a 3 year old iriver ihp-120 still going strong, but i did recently pick up a 8gb nano because i didnt know about the new Samsung K3
blink.gif
I previously had a couple Fuji digicams and when I was shopping for my dslr, if fuji would have had a prosumer dslr out, i probably would have gotten that instead. I ended up getting the oly because it was a package deal at costco with both kit lenses and a 1gb CFII for under $1k. At the time just an e-300 body was over $800 because it was just released.
basshead.gif

May 21, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #62 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do my hair a little different. And I sometimes listen to classical music and some jazz. Why? Because I try to be a little different, try to be an individual. But if you think about it, I'm just another part of the highway that is the 21st century, just another brick in the wall. It's sad really...but we would never know, because society tells us that we live happy.

Hehe.... I'm going to be 50 next month and some people ask me why my hair is still so long.... I just tell them "Because I can"
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif
tongue.gif

May 21, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #63 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if fuji would have had a prosumer dslr out, i probably would have gotten that instead. I ended up getting the oly because it was a package deal at costco with both kit lenses and a 1gb CFII for under $1k. At the time just an e-300 body was over $800 because it was just released.
basshead.gif

Yeah I wish there was a cheaper Fuji body. Somehow I don't feel like spending 1800+ for S5Pro and it wouldn't even be my only camera.

May 21, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #64 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh... I just like to be different. Instead of buying a super popular canon or nikon, i got an olympus, instead of buying a super popular harley, i would buy an indian, instead of a chevy ss or dodge hemi truck, i got a lightning, instead of grados, i bought alessandros, etc....
blink.gif

Most men they go out with girls.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #65 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most men they go out with girls.
icon10.gif

Haha... my wife of 31 years on june 15th wouldn't approve of that either
tongue.gif
altho i think it's a grand idea
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #66 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I wish there was a cheaper Fuji body. Somehow I don't feel like spending 1800+ for S5Pro and it wouldn't even be my only camera.

There is a huge price gap on that S5 Pro. A quick google search comes up with a range from $999 to $1899
blink.gif
sure is a sweet looking camera tho and looks like it uses nikon glass
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #67 of 214
Very, very interesting thread. Very informative too
smily_headphones1.gif
. Recently, I've also been toying with the idea of buying a DSLR. I work at an electronics store, and they have some models on discount, which I can buy with another nice discount. The y currently have the D40, and EOS 350 (Digital Rebel XT) on sale, both for the same price, with 18-55mm kitlenses. Which would be the better purchase for a total noob like me?

May 21, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #68 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've browsed the various photography threads here, and I want to get my hands on a DSLR.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have little photography knowledge, perhaps none at all. I hope to gain some knowledge before purchasing a cam, so if you know any great sites for beginners, let me know.

I have my eye on the Nikon D50....

But then again, I'd have to learn more to know what lenses/flashes etc I'd need. But is the D50 too much? Too little?

I'm obviously a photography noob, so any advice?

This is a good, albeit outdated, read.

May 21, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #69 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very, very interesting thread. Very informative too
smily_headphones1.gif
. Recently, I've also been toying with the idea of buying a DSLR. I work at an electronics store, and they have some models on discount, which I can buy with another nice discount. The y currently have the D40, and EOS 350 (Digital Rebel XT) on sale, both for the same price, with 18-55mm kitlenses. Which would be the better purchase for a total noob like me?

Either one would be great.

I don't think the difference between 6 and 8 megapixels is a big deal, nor do I really think having more autofocus points is a big deal either (I only use the center point).

I think the general consensus is that the Nikon kit lens is the better kit lens, but for me, the Canon kit lens has never disappointed me. Maybe as a beginner myself, I'm not that demanding from a kit lens.

On one hand, the Nikon D40 will work with a 18-200 VR lens, which, for the consumer/amateur who wants a one-lens solution is a great package. But this is a $700+ lens, so I don't know how quickly you really want to be upgrading to one of these things. I'm also not much of a +70mm length shooter, though I guess if I had one, I wouldn't complain.

On the other hand, you lose auto-focus with the older lenses which don't have auto-focus motors in them. This wouldn't be a big deal to me, as I would probably only be buying new lenses that worked with the D40. **[EDIT: On second thought, this is a fairly major issue in case you think you will be shooting with prime (non-zoom lenses). I enjoy shooting with primes and if you do so as well, this really might not work for you].

The Canon is an all around performer and I think has little to complain about given its value. Canon does have more variety in lenses (the 70-200 F4 IS comes to mind). Nikon has some very special discontinued lenses that I would love to have, but they won't auto-focus with the D40.

All in all, they're both great cameras. I guess I'd lean towards the Canon as you'd have auto-focus with more lenses, marginally better resolution, marginally more auto-focus spots. But it really is not a big deal for the beginner who's likely to be only buying modern zoom Nikon lenses (that will auto-focus with the D40), and if you find you like the Nikon in your hands, go with that.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 21, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #70 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either one would be great.

I don't think the difference between 6 and 8 megapixels is a big deal, nor do I really think having more autofocus points is a big deal either (I only use the center point).

I think the general consensus is that the Nikon kit lens is the better kit lens, but for me, the Canon kit lens has never disappointed me. Maybe as a beginner myself, I'm not that demanding from a kit lens.

On one hand, the Nikon D40 will work with a 18-200 VR lens, which, for the consumer/amateur who wants a one-lens solution is a great package. But this is a $700+ lens, so I don't know how quickly you really want to be upgrading to one of these things. I'm also not much of a +70mm length shooter, though I guess if I had one, I wouldn't complain.

On the other hand, you lose auto-focus with the older lenses which don't have auto-focus motors in them. This wouldn't be a big deal to me, as I would probably only be buying new lenses that worked with the D40. **[EDIT: On second thought, this is a fairly major issue in case you think you will be shooting with prime (non-zoom lenses). I enjoy shooting with primes and if you do so as well, this really might not work for you].

The Canon is an all around performer and I think has little to complain about given its value. Canon does have more variety in lenses (the 70-200 F4 IS comes to mind). Nikon has some very special discontinued lenses that I would love to have, but they won't auto-focus with the D40.

All in all, they're both great cameras. I guess I'd lean towards the Canon as you'd have auto-focus with more lenses, marginally better resolution, marginally more auto-focus spots. But it really is not a big deal for the beginner who's likely to be only buying modern zoom Nikon lenses (that will auto-focus with the D40), and if you find you like the Nikon in your hands, go with that.

Best regards,

-Jason

Wow, thanks a lot. Great food for thought! I will most certainly take this into consideration, I'm going to check out both cameras tonight, and see if I can get a feel for them. Whichever feels best I will probably go with, though I really have to wait and see how big my paycheck turns out.
confused.gif

Thanks again!

May 22, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #73 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That made perfect sense... GREAT suggestion Mrvile... I'd agree with him. I currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT with the 50mm f/1.8 lens, kit lens, and Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro, and a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021bpro/488rc2 tripod/ballhead --- pretty much a starter set up as I don't take a ton of photos (not nearly as much as I wish i did) and am still learning more and more about the camera.

Whatever you do, do lots and lots of reading before you take the plunge... because DSLRs and accessories get to be quite expensive and you don't want to make the wrong decision. for review sites I like to go to www.dpreview.com www.stevesdigicams.com and www.dcresource.com --- also, I frequent a Canon photography forum where I learn lots of great things... www.photography-on-the.net/forum --- best of luck!

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M PLANNING TO GET
eek.gif

May 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #75 of 214
If you want to make the best large prints, you want to have more megapixels, a lens that can resolve that amount, and a special image resizer. This is usually beyond casual use so I recommend, taking a photo with the camera and lens you might be interested in the store on a memory card and making a large print of it. See if it comes out to your expectations. Blowing things up shows all the weaknesses of the system. The difference between 8MP and 10MP isn't that much really but the price difference isn't much either. You'd pay a lot more for better lenses.

If you have a certain kind of image you'd always want blown up, maybe there is a prime lense that may work best for that kind of photography. What exactly will you be taking pics of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back