thinking of getting etymotic er-4p
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ubercaffeinated

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I'm looking to get my first "real" pair of IEMs. I'm upgrading from the Shure E2C and Ety MC5. I've liked them both, but I'm willing to shell out more for something better now (up to $300). My requirements are superior sound and the best noise noise isolation I can get. I've been really enjoying the MC5's with Comply tips for a few months now, so I figure the ER4P (or PT) will be even better.

I will be using these for studying and without an amp. 

I am open to suggestions for other brands/iems, but I know I can't go wrong with the ER4P from what I've read.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 12
You don't have to "spring". The P, PT, S & B are all $299 from Etymotic direct.

I don’t understand Etys pricing/point on the PT model. I assume all of their models are pretty "tuned" but with the PT you get documentation...

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 12
I personally think it is just a marketing trick to relaunch a product they have been selling for a long time so they can have an excuse to adjust the street price (which used to be $180 or so) back to $300. I like Etymotic, but the whole PT thingy is just too much nonsense.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:

I will be using these for studying and without an amp. 

I am open to suggestions for other brands/iems, but I know I can't go wrong with the ER4P from what I've read.

Thanks in advance.

Just got these and they sound great even un-amped, but much better with an amp. The bass just comes alive with my ASUS STX PC headphone amp. I'm waiting for my cMoy BB and hopfully this will improve my portable rig.
Also take into mind that if you want get rid of the microphonics, it's going to cost you $100 to $190 to recable. At the moment it seems not as bad as everyone says, but ...
I also found that the Comply tips ($20) are a must. I've been struggling to get a comfortable fit.

Hope this helps

Ben

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 12
If you like an analytical sound I say go for it.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 12
ER-4PT is the same thing as the ER-4P, just matched "tuning" for each phone (why wouldn't you do that anyway) and the documentation saying so -- marketing hype.

Yes, the any of the Comply 100 sizes fit the ER-4P -- in fact, go to Complyfoam.com and pick your IEM brand and model to find the size for your IEM.  But I prefer the Shure Olives on my HF5 for their longer life and slightly denser foam.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Large sized Comply is just a little bigger than the mid sized olive.

May 11, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 12
i just want to report back and thank everyone for their help.

i've got the ety er-4p with p to s converter hooked up to a jds labs cmoybb 2.03 hooked up to my iphone via lod.

the er-4p alone on my iphone sounds great, but the er-4p->s with amp is just amazing.

studying just got a lot sweeter with this combo.

i'm really glad i found these forums.

May 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 12
That's awesome, enjoy them. I'm listening to mine at the moment straight from a J3, still haven't decided on an amp.

Extremely happy with them, very difficult for me to decide where they stand compared to the CK10!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back