Thinking about upgrading from HD555's to HD650's
May 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 49
I've had a pair of Shure 420's for a few years before going into cans.  The 650 is my first =]  though I've definitely tested a few amps from eBay and a couple friends'.  I still use my Zero as a DAC for the toslink output from my computer, but the amp section sounded great for the 3-4 months before trying out a tube amp. 

I'm really not sure where to get some of these amps.  The reputable dealers on eBay seem to be the best bet, and the FS forums here have proven to be very reliable. 

Quote:
Thanks. May I ask what kind of headphones you had before getting the 650's, and where is a good place to buy amps, sometimes when I google amp names that I get reccomended I cant find any for sale

May 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 49

Quote:
I've had mine for just over a year now, and have been loving them. I don't have too much of a setup currently - mostly just running them straight out of a computer motherboard. I ordered the DAC+AMP unit from Headroom, so I'll be able to see how well they work together.

Do they sound good out of the computer? Or does the "inadequate" power cause muddiness in the sound? because i plan on gettinga set of HD 600 soon and need to know how well they sound because the amp im getting probably isn't the beefiest around. check my sig to find out which amp im buying.

May 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 49
I have a pair of HD600's that sound pretty good just out of my laptop headphone jack or out of my Vivid V1 portable amp.  But they sound really great out of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valve-Class-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-pre-Bravo-V2-d-/260605092755?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cad462393

I won this same amp for less than $30 and it really makes the HD600's sing.  The bass gets stronger and the vocals sound super realistic. 

Yes this amp is super cheap, but it is powerful, and it has that tube sound.  I don't know if it can hang with $300 amps or not - I did see where someone preferred it the the EF2.  It's an option anyway if you are low on green.

May 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 49

Quote:
I have a pair of HD600's that sound pretty good just out of my laptop headphone jack or out of my Vivid V1 portable amp.  But they sound really great out of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valve-Class-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-pre-Bravo-V2-d-/260605092755?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cad462393

I won this same amp for less than $30 and it really makes the HD600's sing.  The bass gets stronger and the vocals sound super realistic. 

Yes this amp is super cheap, but it is powerful, and it has that tube sound.  I don't know if it can hang with $300 amps or not - I did see where someone preferred it the the EF2.  It's an option anyway if you are low on green.

how does the vivid V1 amp compare to the little dot mk I+?

May 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 49
They do look good, anyone else have any experience with these? I'm thinking about getting these for HD555's  just to see how much of a difference an amp makes.

Hey kchui999 how would you describe listening to your HD650's with and without an amp, big difference ?

May 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 49
Really big difference.  My PC's onboard headphone output sounds cold, and the detail just isn't there.  The MKIII really makes the 650's sing.

May 20, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #24 of 49
Nope.

May 20, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:
I have a dedicated sound card, Auzen Prelude, you think that I would still need a dac on top of an amp?

Your Prelude is a DAC, which converts the data files on your computer 1s and 0s(digital) to audio signal(analog).  DAC(digital to analog converter).  Since prelude converted to analog, it is no more digital at the output of prelude's amp, why would you add a converter again if it is already converted by prelude?  The answer is no, you should not.

May 20, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #26 of 49

Quote:
Whoaa.  These look pretty sick.  Anyone else care to chime in?

I also have this amp. And while it does help quite a bit with the HD650 (better than any $50 amp for sure) it cannot compete with a better amp. I used the Audio-GD compass ($300 approx when it was in production) and its the first time the HD650s were properly driven.

Quote:
Do they sound good out of the computer? Or does the "inadequate" power cause muddiness in the sound? because i plan on gettinga set of HD 600 soon and need to know how well they sound because the amp im getting probably isn't the beefiest around. check my sig to find out which amp im buying.

All this time I used the HD650 with lesser amps (or straight out of a DAC) it still sounded 'decent' but it never had that detail and the bass always seemed a bit 'boomy' and uncontrolled. When properly driven, that detail that you except from a headphone of the caliber of the HD650 appears. (They are not detail monsters mind you but pretty close to any other headphone in its class). And the bass becomes tighter and more in control now.
Quote:
They do look good, anyone else have any experience with these? I'm thinking about getting these for HD555's  just to see how much of a difference an amp makes.

Hey kchui999 how would you describe listening to your HD650's with and without an amp, big difference ?

Yes there is a rather big difference with and without an amp. Also the Compass is not even a mid tier amp. I wonder how they will sound with a higher mid tier amp like the WA6 or a Gilmore amp.

None of my other headphones/earphones that I have needed amping. Amping would help but to a rather small degree. However I would heartily suggest an amp for the HD650.
smile_phones.gif

May 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 49
I think I'm going have to save up some more money and hopefully the price of the HD650's will go down around the holidays. The price on Amazon is like $430 but from talking to people it seems like that's pretty high and they usually go for around $300. This is going to be my first time buying audiophile type headphones and since I'm shopping around in the $300 price range, what other headphones should I consider. A lot of threads compare them to AKG 701's, I primarily listen to Hip Hop and R&B but I also enjoy listening to Jazz, Rock, and classical. Pretty much everything except for country and trance. I been searching around locally in the Bay Area for some places to try on some gear, what do you guys think would be some other headphones I should check out?

May 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #28 of 49

Quote:
I think I'm going have to save up some more money and hopefully the price of the HD650's will go down around the holidays. The price on Amazon is like $430 but from talking to people it seems like that's pretty high and they usually go for around $300. This is going to be my first time buying audiophile type headphones and since I'm shopping around in the $300 price range, what other headphones should I consider. A lot of threads compare them to AKG 701's, I primarily listen to Hip Hop and R&B but I also enjoy listening to Jazz, Rock, and classical. Pretty much everything except for country and trance. I been searching around locally in the Bay Area for some places to try on some gear, what do you guys think would be some other headphones I should check out?

check out ebay. like this one here. RazordogDeals is an authorized dealer from sennheiser so i am sure that they are very nice to deal with and they also have top seller ratings on ebay. btw, it sells for 340.

May 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 49
The head-fi community is awesome because you can buy used here and try the sound for much less than new. I got my senns for 280$ here, and have seen them hovering around this price for a good while. 

Also, I run them through a glite, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoy the sound. Many people recommend tubes, but an SS amp such as the glite or an m3 should also do perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back