Thinking about getting a Fiio X5
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

blackwolf1006

500+ Head-Fier
I am getting a little sick of relying on my note 3 and an AMP. I was thinking about getting a Fiio X5 Portable as an all in one unit. Is this a good Idea.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 7
I know the feeling. I have the Note 2. I just don't want to carry around an amp, too.

The X5 looks to very good. Here's a thread to read about it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 7
I use an iPod at work and for traveling and I'm won't take an amp with me. I don't consider that portable. I've been looking at X5 too. I saw this review from a retailer: http://www.headfonia.com/better-but-fiio-x5/.

The only thing holding me back from the FiiO daps is the lack of replygain volume leveling implementation. I always listen to mixes of music or random playlists. I don't why they think implementing every file format they can think of is more important than basic user-friendly features common to other DAPs.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Honestly, I'm not persuaded that other DAPs are a lot better-sounding than my old iPod. It's also better-looking than all the others.

I'm waiting for a big firm (Apple or the like) to make a reasonably priced audiophile DAP, with an easy GUI and without an effing microSD card.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't mind micro SD cards. But I have trouble spending money on any DAP that won't have a much better headphone amp than my Clip AND can't implement basic features. It's really silly that FiiO and Cowon (and other audiophile DAP makers) are still stuck in that old mentality that usability and features don't matter.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 7
The X5 sounds very good. 

However, it has a bunch of small and major issues - to me, the biggest one is in the area of tag-based sorting of albums and artists:  this is prone to crashes, it requires you to clean up/remove most of the ID3 tags and can only accommodate 5800 songs at present.    The supporters will tell you that this problem is going to be fixed - great.  When it is fixed, it will be a very good player.   

That being said, if you are ok with folder-based browsing, and not needing to see album art when selecting an album, then it works quite well.    I plan to get one, once the 5800-song limit is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back