Thinking about amps for DT880
Jul 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

PolkManiac

100+ Head-Fier
I've come across a couple other threads on this topic here, and have seen amps like the Little Dot and the DarkVoice mentioned.  I wanted to see if there are other options I should be looking at.

Right now I have Millett Minimax and an ASL MG Head OTL.  I'm going to have to give one of those back, have not decided which of the two I like better yet.

However, I'm going to have two headphone setups (one at home one at the office, both with the DT880) and am wondering what other amps I should be considering for the main setup.  I figure either the ASL or Millett will be in the office setup, thinking about going a little higher end for the home setup.

What other amps should I be looking at, right now I'm liking the Woo Audio 3, and I'd say that's at the top of my price range, would appreciate any other recommendations.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 21
I have the 600 ohm version

Both the Millett and the ASL seem to drive them fine, but if I'm going to be buying another amp anyway I was just curious if someone had any other recommendations.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 21
I'm borrowing a pair of 250 ohm 880's from a friend and I've found that they sound pretty darn spectacular when driven by my Burson.  I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's the best they've ever sounded to my ears.  They actually give my LCD-2's a run for their money in terms of smoothness and dexterity with the Burson behind them. 

As far as tubes, I've also plugged the 880's into my cheap little Mav Audio A1 and I love them out of that, too.  That little A1 is a crackin' amp for the dough...makes all but the most demanding cans sound great. 

The 880's were my first glimpse of audiophile cans and they've started to win me over again, especially with the way they sound through a good amp.  I can't recommend the Burson highly enough with the Beyers. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 21
First of; The DT880 is a great pair. 
I started with the Little Dot MKIII, an OTL amp. Sounded great for the DT880, tubes really give body to the DT880. 
Now im using the GS-1 to power the them in my music rig. They are a lot faster, more detailed and with a lot more clarity.
Some say tubes is the way to go but imo it depends on your demands/taste.
If you like speed, clarity and accuracy solid state fits right in. For some it may sound to analytical.
Tubes gives it warmth. More body, deeper but less impactfull/fast bass response, less analytical.
Also, since its a pretty bright set of cans, it may sound a bit harsh on a solid state amp.

In short, i prefer the clarity/neutral sound of the GS-1.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

What other amps should I be looking at, right now I'm liking the Woo Audio 3, and I'd say that's at the top of my price range, would appreciate any other recommendations.

For my '03 880s I have a 637/627 M^3, which sounds exactly like my Cetron tubed Woo3.  If I had to choose between them, it would be the M^3 with the 637/627 opamps. 

The edge, however, goes to my GS-1 which has more resolution than the others, plus a ton of features.

EQ is your friend, but use it sparingly.

Quote:
First of; The DT880 is a great pair. 
I started with the Little Dot MKIII, an OTL amp. Sounded great for the DT880, tubes really give body to the DT880. 
Now im using the GS-1 to power the them in my music rig. They are a lot faster, more detailed and with a lot more clarity.
Some say tubes is the way to go but imo it depends on your demands/taste.
If you like speed, clarity and accuracy solid state fits right in. For some it may sound to analytical.
Tubes gives it warmth. More body, deeper but less impactfull/fast bass response, less analytical.
Also, since its a pretty bright set of cans, it may sound a bit harsh on a solid state amp.

In short, i prefer the clarity/neutral sound of the GS-1.

+1

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 21
I'm in the same boat.  I'm leaning toward the DarkVoice 336 since it fits into my budget better, but the Schitt Valhalla is on my short list.  I haven't heard either, I'm just relying on recommendations of others.  My impression from reading other posts is that DarkVoice or Little Dot is the way to go if your willing/want to roll tubes, whereas Schitt is more of a complete package out of the box.  I may be wrong, though.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 21
I see no one has thrown the Crack in the ring. Pairs very well with the DT 880 600ohm. It's inexpensive and very upgradeable.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I'll have to look into the bottlehead crack amp.  Is it difficult to assemble, and how does it compare with a little dot or darkvoice?  Thanks.

I haven't heard the two amps you have listed so I don't know, but the Crack is as easy as it gets to assemble. If a ham fisted mook like me can build it anyone can.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm quite fond of the Valhalla and the 880 (600 Ohm) combination.

Quote:
What would you guys think about the Schiit Valhalla?  I know it's ultimately my ears, but having not heard this amp I wanted to see if anyone had any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back