Think my HD700’s are dead, please recommend me some bright cans
Apr 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BattleBrat

Previously known as Blasto_Brandino.
Well guys, I was pretty much done with headphones. I fell in love with my Etymotic ER3XRs and I felt that they were perfect. The only real headphones I had were my Sony Z7’s and my Sennheiser HD700’s. The Z7’s were dark and the HD700’s were bright. I pretty much have been using speakers at home the last few years and my headphones sat. I finally got my soundcard (Sound blaster X7) back here at home set up on my new desk. And I wanted to bust out my headphones, my Sony’s were fine but the Sennheiser‘s ear pads and headband turned to goo. I had to remove the headband because it was putting black goo all over everything. Unfortunately during the course of releasing that little silver HD 700 piece at the base of the band I damaged it but I did manage to remove the headband. I put a parts request in to Sennheiser for a new headband, ear pads, the silver piece and the black retainer piece, but I don’t think they’ll have them. My HD 700s had maybe two hours of use on them, ever. I had had them about as long as my Sony Z7’s and they were perfect, then again they’re made out of leather and metal. Cheap plastic Sennheisers actually bit me in the duff! I was never bothered before and I’ve owned HD800’s. But it looks like I’m going to need a new pair of bright headphones, I do not want a pair of Sennheiser‘s I’m kind of tired of their cheap build quality, they simply don’t last. That and I’ve been rather disappointed in both the HD 700’s and the HD 800’s (they only ever really sounded good to me on an Eddy Current prototype amp the “super 8”, even on a Blue Hawaii I was disappointed)
I was thinking ultrasound performance 880s, but what did you guys have in mind? My limit is about $500 these headphones will be mostly used for listening to trip hop, electronica, Chill, pretty much all things electronic.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Beyerdynamic DT1990

Was about to say the same thing. Sorry to hear about your issues. I've researched the crap out of the Beyer's and I bet they're just what you're looking for. I'm going to pull the trigger on a new set of them Monday, probably. The only thing is, they're about $550 ish, give or take. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Damn, those are quite sexy! I had a pair of Beyerdynamics before and I remember they were solid. Do you think these are good for electronic music?

Apr 19, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Damn, those are quite sexy! I had a pair of Beyerdynamics before and I remember they were solid. Do you think these are good for electronic music?

Personally, I don't think they are. I don't regard Beyerdynamics as "bright" headphones because they have quite a V frequency response: they have some thumping bass and sparkly treble, but quite a suck out in the mids. For me, they're probably strongest for monitoring percussion instruments. Not sure what type of electronic music you're into, but I think for dynamic headphones, Focal is really good (very present mids and lower bass extension). Not sure your budget....Elears are same as the Beyers and most indicate Massdrop/Drop Elex worthwhile upgrade. I have the Elex and think they are the best overall headphone I have: they sound good even plugged into the most minimal portable player and have good balance of soundstage and overall presence.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Don't sleep on the SendyAudio Aiva. I think they go for $500 new nowadays even though I paid $600 a year ago, they're worth every bit of $600. They are the best build quality headphone I own. Highly detailed signature but never harsh or fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back