ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Dec 20, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #4,471 of 4,790
Maybe in the end, there will be no difference in the treble extension :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
The truth is that the correct BA implementation will give you similar air. It will be only slightly different in character, where the BA has bit firmer attack and the EST are slightly whispier. And it will be easier to drive.
And EST driver can run out of charge in the future (not sure how many years). BA, in theory, is eternal.

Finally had a chance to try Mk3 today. Need to gather my thoughts before sharing some impressions. Such a nice IEM.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #4,472 of 4,790
And EST driver can run out of charge in the future (not sure how many years). BA, in theory, is eternal.

Finally had a chance to try Mk3 today. Need to gather my thoughts before sharing some impressions. Such a nice IEM.
Yeah the MMK3 is a fine IEM, one of my favourites currently.

About running out of charge, I know electrets eventually will lose charge, but it's so difficult finding any kind of data around this, so it's very hard to say if they're going to last 10, 20 or 50 years. I'm even more curious if the manufacturer (Sonion for example) makes any claims about the potential lifespan of their EST drivers.

I personally never heard of an EST driver failing on anyone but then again, even if one fails it's more likely to be due to a defect rather than because it reached its lifespan.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Edit:
Let's say if we would want a long term study done on the longevity of electret drivers, we'd need a custom design with one EST, build to allow for easy and consistent measurement (i.e. no tips and less human handling as possible), have dunno 100 made and then measure them once a week (or maybe once a month) for 5 years and then check a very specific frequency range that would be affected by the loss in charge.

How many dBs would be considered significant? 3dBs?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #4,473 of 4,790
Yeah the MMK3 is a fine IEM, one of my favourites currently.

About running out of charge, I know electrets eventually will lose charge, but it's so difficult finding any kind of data around this, so it's very hard to say if they're going to last 10, 20 or 50 years. I'm even more curious if the manufacturer (Sonion for example) makes any claims about the potential lifespan of their EST drivers.

I personally never heard of an EST driver failing on anyone but then again, even if one fails it's more likely to be due to a defect rather than because it reached its lifespan.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Edit:
Let's say if we would want a long term study done on the longevity of electret drivers, we'd need a custom design with one EST, build to allow for easy and consistent measurement (i.e. no tips and less human handling as possible), have dunno 100 made and then measure them once a week (or maybe once a month) for 5 years and then check a very specific frequency range that would be affected by the loss in charge.

How many dBs would be considered significant? 3dBs?
I think we will be old enough to afford a new IEM/get the new version or be dead before they reach their life spans (unless you leave em plugged up playing white noise for thousands of hours throughout our lives). If you or someone else finds info please link!

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,474 of 4,790
People had similar fears about the memory chips back in the 80's.
At least 90% of the still existing Nintendo Entertainment System and Atari cartridges are still going strong .

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #4,475 of 4,790
Found something here: https://doi.org/10.1250/ast.18.29

It's about electret mics so not exactly the same application and I have no idea if it's possible to draw any conclusions between mics and EST drivers but they found that storing a mic at room temperature for 18 years decreased sensitivity by 0.3dB. It's generally accepted that the lowest change in dBs perceived by regular humans in quiet environments is about 3dB, so 0.3dB is basically nothing.

We conducted studies regarding sensitivity changes of Electret Condenser Microphones (ECMs) that were stored in a laboratory for 18 years, and using the results, estimated the working lifetime of an ECM. The average sensitivity change of the ECMs stored at room temperature for 18 years was unexpectedly small-only about 0.3dB. We estimated the main factor that determines the lifetime of an ECM-surface charge decreases of electret foil-over a period of time, using a heat acceleration test and the results of our long-term sensitivity change studies. The results of our estimate showed that a sensitivity decrease of 3dB in ECMs stored at room temperature may be found in 60 years, and a 6 dB decrease, which is the limit of microphone performance, may be found after 200 years. In this paper, we propose a form of expression for the decrease pattern of electret surface charges, over a period of time, and temperature as a three dimensional form.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #4,478 of 4,790
I've not heard the MMK3, but I've got the Prestige LTD. Bass is extremely fast, dense and impactful, but I'm guessing probably less of a subwoofer effect, which for my genres (mainly all kind of metal, cold/darkwave, punk and post-punk) is quite alright. Mids are slightly recessed (not so in your face). Detail is insane, separation is excellent, and it's got quite a bit of air. I like the tuning (which some people say is smoothened), as I can hear on my genres for hours (incl. some not so optimal recordings).

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #4,479 of 4,790
Well I picked these up today. Currently listening to it and doing some tip rolling at the same time. Any suggestions on tips would be welcome.

Monarch Mk3.JPG

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #4,480 of 4,790
Well I picked these up today. Currently listening to it and doing some tip rolling at the same time. Any suggestions on tips would be welcome.

Monarch Mk3.JPG
Wide-bore AZLA Crystal / Divinus Velvet. Start with Crystals, perhaps half size down for deeper fit, however, the wide-bore nozzles on TA stuff may warrant normal size (i.e. if you're a M stick with M). I'd stay away from Symbio's/hybrid foams with the MK3.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #4,482 of 4,790
I like the Tri Clarions best, followed by some unknown Ikko dark blue tips.

Third place maybe the Divinus Velvet.

Dunu S&S sound ok but I have fit issues.

Didn't like Xelastec, Sancai, Whizzer, Spinfit, etc.

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #4,483 of 4,790

Monarch Mk3.JPG
Congrats!

I'd recommend the Azla Sedna Shorts a step down in your usual size, but as others have said, the Crystals also work really well. Happy listening :)

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #4,484 of 4,790
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I do own quite a few tips so I already had some here mentioned. Currently using the Divinus Velvet tips for the moment. The Crystals were ok but I think the velvet have a slight edge for me. I also tried the Clarions nut I'll need to give another try but I think I preferred the velvets. The ones I don't have but I will probably add to my list are the Spinfits W1 (been meaning to get these anyway) and the Azla Sedna shorts. I don't own the Ikko Dark blue tips either but I'm not sure where I would even get those. I tend to buy off of Amazon UK, HiFiGo or Linsoul.

Thanks again for the suggestions they sound really good. I also got a new player since the battery on my last one swelled up so I also got an Astell & Kern Kann Max which has hurt my credit card a bit. :L3000:

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #4,485 of 4,790
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I do own quite a few tips so I already had some here mentioned. Currently using the Divinus Velvet tips for the moment. The Crystals were ok but I think the velvet have a slight edge for me. I also tried the Clarions nut I'll need to give another try but I think I preferred the velvets. The ones I don't have but I will probably add to my list are the Spinfits W1 (been meaning to get these anyway) and the Azla Sedna shorts. I don't own the Ikko Dark blue tips either but I'm not sure where I would even get those. I tend to buy off of Amazon UK, HiFiGo or Linsoul.

Thanks again for the suggestions they sound really good. I also got a new player since the battery on my last one swelled up so I also got an Astell & Kern Kann Max which has hurt my credit card a bit. :L3000:
Final Type E (clear version) seems to be the winner for me with the Prestige LTD

They are my favourite ahead of Dunu S&S (my previous favourite), Azla Xelastec, Crystal, and Divinus Velvet.

I prefer some of these tips over the Type E on other iems so it really depends.

I've also just discovered the radius deep mount (clear version). I'm not able to get them at a reasonable price in the UK but I would try them if I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back