Theta DS Pro Basic DAC as DAC from computer?
Apr 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone comment on the usage of a Theta DS Pro Basic DAC for computer audio? Most of the reviews or references to this old DAC I've found on the internet relate to CD-player usage. I plan on using it as a source for my computer, running coax out of my ESI Juli@ into my Stax SRS2050. Is there any reason why this won't work?

Also, this DAC is very old, and digital has made a lot of advances since the 90s. How would a modern-day mid-fi DAC (~$100-300)  stack up against this beast of an old DAC?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 8
It should work without any issues (but if you play music over 48KHz sampling rate e.g. 24bit/88.2 or 96KHz you will have to downsample it to 44.1 or 48KHz).

Difficult to say, on technical aspects such as detail the "good" modern DACs are usually better (e.g. they do have native support for 24/96 material or higher) on others such as musicality they are worse but it is difficult to say generally which is better or worse.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Also, this DAC is very old, and digital has made a lot of advances since the 90s. How would a modern-day mid-fi DAC (~$100-300)  stack up against this beast of an old DAC?

Thanks in advance!

No comparison the Theta would cream the others in that price range or even above that price range IMO. I hate to say it but I have yet to find a dac under the $1k price range on the used market which was an improvement in ALL areas over the Theta. Of course, it all depends on what type of sound you prefer. The Theta is dynamic, vivid, and downright ballsy. It is not refined, no silky smooth highs, no creamy mids. So if that's your taste, you might want to look elsewhere. Just make sure your pre-amp can handle the 7v the Theta puts out.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 8
Guessing generally from what these dacs have been sold for in recent years, I think they'd be on par with $200-300 modern dacs. Of course there should be areas where the theta outright wins and areas where the theta loses

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

No comparison the Theta would cream the others in that price range or even above that price range IMO. I hate to say it but I have yet to find a dac under the $1k price range on the used market which was an improvement in ALL areas over the Theta. Of course, it all depends on what type of sound you prefer. The Theta is dynamic, vivid, and downright ballsy. It is not refined, no silky smooth highs, no creamy mids. So if that's your taste, you might want to look elsewhere. Just make sure your pre-amp can handle the 7v the Theta puts out.

Am I going to need a preamp? I was planning on just plugging it straight into my SRM-252. Actually I've never really been sure what a preamp is for, as I've only really ever dealt with headphone systems.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 8
Your Stax has a built in passive pre amp so it should be fine. A pre-amp is basically what allows you to control the volume.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the usage of a Theta DS Pro Basic DAC for computer audio? Most of the reviews or references to this old DAC I've found on the internet relate to CD-player usage. I plan on using it as a source for my computer, running coax out of my ESI Juli@ into my Stax SRS2050. Is there any reason why this won't work?

Thanks in advance!

I was using my Theta Ds Pre Gen III with my iMac up to about 2 weeks ago. I used the NuForce uDAC-2 between the iMac and the theta for USB to  digital coaxial conversion.   That combo worked really well.   http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/   

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Resurrecting this thread, but I keep hearing great things about these older Theta DACs.  I'm also looking for an appropriate Theta unit under $300.  Even a pre/pro, like their Casanova or Casablanca I've head has great sound.  I'm also considering a SMSL M8 - keep hearing great things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back