These HD600's are terrible, and so are ALL headphones! I give up!!
May 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #196 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by BHTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This place is insane, no doubt about it. I was well aware of this before I started this thread, which is exactly why I started it the way I did.

A good troll never admits that they are a troll. You obviously failed trollery 101.
o2smile.gif

May 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #198 of 325
Quote:

Audio reproduction is an obsession I've always had, ever since I can remember (2 years old?)

Really?
You've been obsessed with audio reproduction since you were 2?
Must be tough...

May 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #199 of 325
Quote:

I just received a pair of HD600's the other day, and I'm extremely disappointed, to say the least. I've also realized that there's no such thing as a headphone that's anywhere near accurate. These HD600's are no exception. I bought them as a result of YEARS of browsing the net (mainly this forum). I just knew they'd be the headphone for me. However, their frequency response is so terrible I find them tough to listen to, sometimes unbearable. They're beyond EQ'ing (even with Electri-Q VST plugin, which I had to use for years to make my worn out HD497's the least bit tolerable) because the response is so peaky in so many areas. By the time you've removed the most troublesome areas, there's nothing left. Upon using a combination of pink noise and a software based sinewave generator, I've observed the following: a broadband peak centered around 3.8 KHz (quickly begins rising at 2.5 KHz), a peak centered around 5.2 KHz, a peak at 6 KHz, another at 7 KHz, rising response at 10 KHz, and a huge peak at 12 KHz, along with much of the remaining highs being too much, until it very quickly drops off very steeply to almost nothing at 15 KHz. On top of the usual upper-midrange and treble mess, there's also a broadband increase in response somewhere around 1-1.5 KHz, maybe 500 Hz, 100 Hz (which I find particularly bothersome, and it also seems to be very common among full-size headphones. I think this is the result of the headphone driver's Fs [free-air resonant frequency, or the resonant freq of the headphone as a whole if it's a closed headphone]).. it's somewhat difficult to tell because the entire midbass is boosted about 4-5 dB (which also seems to be the case with almost ALL headphones). Below this, the lower frequencies quickly become less and less until they steeply fall off below 30 Hz. All of these things I've mentioned are only the most problematic areas, the entire response is a complete mess. It's extremely difficult to even pinpoint them because there's too many of them too close together.

I also want to make it clear once again that ALL headphones are like this, just in different areas. In fact, most seem to be even more bothersome than the HD600's. Like I said, it seems as though there's no such thing as a decent headphone. All the music you're hearing from your 'cans' is simply a mixture of so many peaks and dips that it often becomes unnoticable to the vast majority of consumers. However, I notice every bit of it, with every note that comes through these headphones, or any pair. My old HD497's were like this (highs were untolerable and most noticeable), and the same goes with AKG K701's, K601's, Beyerdynamic DT770's (disgusting!.. bass was unbearable), some older Koss, etc etc.. eveything I've ever tried. Therefore, I think it'd be very reasonable to assume that there's no such thing as a headphone with decent accuracy. They're ALL extremely "colored".

I realize that most of this forum will probably be tempted to flame me and tell me I'm crazy or that I don't know what I'm talking about. However, I'll just go ahead and say that I've been into loudspeaker design for decades, and an audio fanatic since before I was old enough to walk. Audio reproduction is an obsession I've always had, ever since I can remember (2 years old?). I've owned much more than my fair share of audio equipment, designed several pairs of loudspeakers, built a couple of amplifiers, spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years, etc. I know what I'm doing, and what I've said is true. I also think this is very valuable information, and I can only wish it would have been explained to me long ago, as it obviously would have saved me a lot of money and trouble. This headphone thing is a bit of a joke. You've all fallen for it, and so did I. The only difference is that I recognized it immediately, and you don't notice it like I do. When I first came across this forum, the first thing I noticed was that most people here aren't very knowledgeable about audio reproduction in general (even all the regulars who own dozens of pairs of headphones). All I can say is.. instead of being so quick to say I'm wrong about anything I've said here, you should all be VERY glad that you're all so unaware, and that your headphones don't bother you like they bother me.

I might have a go at IEM's, but I'm not holding my breath. It's my only hope though. And no, it's not my equipment, lol. While there are noticeable differences between DAC's and amplification, it's not huge, although differences do seem to be more apparent with headphones than loudspeakers. Also, output impedance seems to vary quite a bit between headphone amplifiers. But no, equipment isn't my problem. And if you've been tempted to say that it is, you've obviously only fallen victim to that BS as well..

Enjoy yourselves. I give up.

mm....I wonder. Are you as picky with headphones with other things? Is it the headphone or you? (no offense intended, we all are different). I am sure there are people who will never like headphones or IEM's. Some people hate cats, some golf.....Sounds to me that time for you to move on to different endeavors.

May 24, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #200 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an informative article from Stereophile on the art and science of measuring headphones:

Stereophile: Between the Ears: the art and science of measuring headphones

They discuss what the ideal frequency response of headphones should be. There are differing opinions: same as loudspeakers free field on axis, free field 30 degrees off axis, similar to loudspeakers in a diffuse environment (aka diffuse field equalization) or variations thereof. Even headphones which are advertised as diffuse field equalized do not follow the same contour.

It's good reading for everyone.

Well, I did put that before you (post #129), and he skipped it. You should also read the other article I posted: (click there:
viewpost.gif
to see)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there BHTX

Well, I find really interesting your point of view over headphones. You also seem to care more about numbers that people here, which I believe is good.

First, I wondered how you tried to EQ your headphones. You explain in one of your post, but unluckily I don't have enough time to read the whole thread. Well i recently bought a DAC but also EQ, the Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 with 31band EQ... well you can actually look for it on the web.

So, even if my first intention was to have a DAC for use with the computer, and to have equipment for later when I buy some speakers to equalize the room they are in, I thought I could start EQ my headphones.

Well, i believe you already know it is a very very difficult task, so you should read this first:

Auditory environment

This also:

Stereophile: Between the Ears: the art and science of measuring headphones

It talks about FF (free-field) and DF (diffuse field). They are interesting to start with.

May 24, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #201 of 325
WRONG. His points in his insulting manner have been discussed on these forums numerous times. Head-Fi community accepts that Headphone Drivers, which are the essentially as someone else mentioned, miniature loudspeakers are not as capable as a Speaker. For one it's one diaphragm where even a single driver speaker has usually an additional two cones within the diaphragm for mids and treble.

Secondly Head-Fiers already know the reasons why they love their headphones even if their current meager speakers system can provide more impact and feelings from the music.

He has not brought up any thing interesting. This forums is packed full of comparisons of graphs, frequency response and the search for neutral flat response headphone.

The hilarious part is that some of the people the OP is insulting have speaker systems beyond his imaginations. If you spend some time and read to find out about their other hobbies... for example UnkleErik who already have impressive electrostatic speakers and some DIY and vintage equipment, mentioned he will be dropping an additional 10K for his setup. Others like Tyson have some mind blowing fully balanced from source to pre-amp to amp to his 250 LB speakers. I mean this guy has amplifiers dedicated to his treble, mids and woofers for his speakers.

So yes, the OP I think is in ignorance himself without know the vast knowledge of Audio on these forums. If he wants to focus on the few outrageous posts that's his problem. There is plenty of knowledge and incredible gear around this forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfmatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel for the OP who has been making interesting points that are not often debated here:
1) There are 2 main approaches to headphones: either you use them because this is really what you like best or alternatively because they are what you like best when you can't listen to your speakers.
2) Headphones are very far from accurate. This is not even debatable. The OP is unfortunate to need accuracy to enjoy listening to music but it's a physical fact that one driver alone cannot reproduce the entire spectrum accurately.

So if you come from the speaker world (or even further studio monitor world) and you fail to undertand and/or accept the limitations of headphone technology and expect a very similar experience with headphones than with studio monitors, you can only be disappointed. Listening to studio monitors and headphones are 2 totally different experiences and this can't be repeated enough to newcomers.

I have a pair of simply awesome studio monitors rated at +/-3dB over 30Hz-21kHz but like others on this thread I can only listen to them sporadically. I can't express how much I love them. To me it's a fact that SQ wise they're blatantly better than any headphones I've ever listened to and I've been roaming headphile shops around where I leave for years.
BUT: I've learned to appreciate headphones for what they are and I have (almost :wink: as much pleasure listening to my phones as I do with my monitors. And I really like my Senns both HD600 and 650. But when I bought my first pair (Grados) I simply could not understand why so many people where raving about them. I still can't but not for the same reasons
wink.gif

My 2 cents to the OP:
1) Get used to it. It takes time, yes your monitors are better but don't you enjoy listening to music in your car? One day you'll enjoy headphones too.
2) Opt for closed studio headphones rather than audiophile ones. I confess that I still prefer my DT250/250 to my Senns (although HD650 are really growing on me now) and I'm ready to bet that you would too.

One last thing: until his last post the OP had been rather blunt but well within the netiquette guidelines. He's had to put up with many posters that read like self-righteous ayatollahs. Sadly well-seasoned members were as guilty as juniors head-fiers.

You talk about how Head-Fi is out of control and we are all gullible. I think spending $429 for a headphone that you have ZERO knowledge about, ZERO idea of what it will be, ZERO pictures available, NOTHING light years beyond my insane and gullible journey here at Head-Fi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And worst of all, now all my headphones either have obvious peaks and valleys, or are totally boring and slow because they don't. I give up too. After the HF-2 arrives.

May 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #202 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I did put that before you (post #129), and he skipped it. You should also read the other article I posted: (click there:
viewpost.gif
to see)

Thanks, I did read through the other article you linked. How recent is it?

I own a few diffuse field equalized headphones: AKG K240DF, original beyer DT990s, DT931s - they all sound different. I've also read in the past where some of the top Sennheiser models are diffuse field equalized - they too sound different from the beyers and AKG. I think there needs to be better standardization for those who claim DF equalization.

I read many posts here where people claim a single headphone transducer cannot reproduce the entire audible frequency range. This is not true. Because headphones are so close to your ears and thereby do not need to move much air volume displacement to create a high SPL, a single transducer can cover the entire range. With loudspeakers, now that's a different story. With the exception of some very large electrostatic loudspeakers, you do need multiple transducers to reproduce the entire audible range of sufficient SPL with low distortion and good energy-time behavior.

May 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #204 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You talk about how Head-Fi is out of control and we are all gullible. I think spending $429 for a headphone that you have ZERO knowledge about, ZERO idea of what it will be, ZERO pictures available, NOTHING light years beyond my insane and gullible journey here at Head-Fi!

I absolutely did not mean that and I can't see anything in what I wrote that could lead you to this conclusion. Are you sure you quoted the right person?

May 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #205 of 325
Too long, didn't read. Fail
-David

Quote:

I just received a pair of HD600's the other day, and I'm extremely disappointed, to say the least. I've also realized that there's no such thing as a headphone that's anywhere near accurate. These HD600's are no exception. I bought them as a result of YEARS of browsing the net (mainly this forum). I just knew they'd be the headphone for me. However, their frequency response is so terrible I find them tough to listen to, sometimes unbearable. They're beyond EQ'ing (even with Electri-Q VST plugin, which I had to use for years to make my worn out HD497's the least bit tolerable) because the response is so peaky in so many areas. By the time you've removed the most troublesome areas, there's nothing left. Upon using a combination of pink noise and a software based sinewave generator, I've observed the following: a broadband peak centered around 3.8 KHz (quickly begins rising at 2.5 KHz), a peak centered around 5.2 KHz, a peak at 6 KHz, another at 7 KHz, rising response at 10 KHz, and a huge peak at 12 KHz, along with much of the remaining highs being too much, until it very quickly drops off very steeply to almost nothing at 15 KHz. On top of the usual upper-midrange and treble mess, there's also a broadband increase in response somewhere around 1-1.5 KHz, maybe 500 Hz, 100 Hz (which I find particularly bothersome, and it also seems to be very common among full-size headphones. I think this is the result of the headphone driver's Fs [free-air resonant frequency, or the resonant freq of the headphone as a whole if it's a closed headphone]).. it's somewhat difficult to tell because the entire midbass is boosted about 4-5 dB (which also seems to be the case with almost ALL headphones). Below this, the lower frequencies quickly become less and less until they steeply fall off below 30 Hz. All of these things I've mentioned are only the most problematic areas, the entire response is a complete mess. It's extremely difficult to even pinpoint them because there's too many of them too close together.

I also want to make it clear once again that ALL headphones are like this, just in different areas. In fact, most seem to be even more bothersome than the HD600's. Like I said, it seems as though there's no such thing as a decent headphone. All the music you're hearing from your 'cans' is simply a mixture of so many peaks and dips that it often becomes unnoticable to the vast majority of consumers. However, I notice every bit of it, with every note that comes through these headphones, or any pair. My old HD497's were like this (highs were untolerable and most noticeable), and the same goes with AKG K701's, K601's, Beyerdynamic DT770's (disgusting!.. bass was unbearable), some older Koss, etc etc.. eveything I've ever tried. Therefore, I think it'd be very reasonable to assume that there's no such thing as a headphone with decent accuracy. They're ALL extremely "colored".

I realize that most of this forum will probably be tempted to flame me and tell me I'm crazy or that I don't know what I'm talking about. However, I'll just go ahead and say that I've been into loudspeaker design for decades, and an audio fanatic since before I was old enough to walk. Audio reproduction is an obsession I've always had, ever since I can remember (2 years old?). I've owned much more than my fair share of audio equipment, designed several pairs of loudspeakers, built a couple of amplifiers, spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years, etc. I know what I'm doing, and what I've said is true. I also think this is very valuable information, and I can only wish it would have been explained to me long ago, as it obviously would have saved me a lot of money and trouble. This headphone thing is a bit of a joke. You've all fallen for it, and so did I. The only difference is that I recognized it immediately, and you don't notice it like I do. When I first came across this forum, the first thing I noticed was that most people here aren't very knowledgeable about audio reproduction in general (even all the regulars who own dozens of pairs of headphones). All I can say is.. instead of being so quick to say I'm wrong about anything I've said here, you should all be VERY glad that you're all so unaware, and that your headphones don't bother you like they bother me.

I might have a go at IEM's, but I'm not holding my breath. It's my only hope though. And no, it's not my equipment, lol. While there are noticeable differences between DAC's and amplification, it's not huge, although differences do seem to be more apparent with headphones than loudspeakers. Also, output impedance seems to vary quite a bit between headphone amplifiers. But no, equipment isn't my problem. And if you've been tempted to say that it is, you've obviously only fallen victim to that BS as well..

Enjoy yourselves. I give up.

May 25, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #207 of 325
Quote:

WRONG. His points in his insulting manner have been discussed on these forums numerous times. Head-Fi community accepts that Headphone Drivers, which are the essentially as someone else mentioned, miniature loudspeakers are not as capable as a Speaker. For one it's one diaphragm where even a single driver speaker has usually an additional two cones within the diaphragm for mids and treble.

Secondly Head-Fiers already know the reasons why they love their headphones even if their current meager speakers system can provide more impact and feelings from the music.

He has not brought up any thing interesting. This forums is packed full of comparisons of graphs, frequency response and the search for neutral flat response headphone.

The hilarious part is that some of the people the OP is insulting have speaker systems beyond his imaginations. If you spend some time and read to find out about their other hobbies... for example UnkleErik who already have impressive electrostatic speakers and some DIY and vintage equipment, mentioned he will be dropping an additional 10K for his setup. Others like Tyson have some mind blowing fully balanced from source to pre-amp to amp to his 250 LB speakers. I mean this guy has amplifiers dedicated to his treble, mids and woofers for his speakers.

So yes, the OP I think is in ignorance himself without know the vast knowledge of Audio on these forums. If he wants to focus on the few outrageous posts that's his problem. There is plenty of knowledge and incredible gear around this forums.

^^

May 25, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #208 of 325
Quote:

Do you know what tomorrow will be like? I do.

May 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #210 of 325
Quote:

This headphone thing is a bit of a joke. You've all fallen for it, and so did I. The only difference is that I recognized it immediately, and you don't notice it like I do. When I first came across this forum, the first thing I noticed was that most people here aren't very knowledgeable about audio reproduction in general (even all the regulars who own dozens of pairs of headphones). All I can say is.. instead of being so quick to say I'm wrong about anything I've said here, you should all be VERY glad that you're all so unaware, and that your headphones don't bother you like they bother me.

Honestly, I think this bit is the reason why everyone's so worked up. To paraphrase: BHTX has extremely good hearing, and that is why he hates headphones; people who do not agree with him simply lack the skill required to pick out these flaws.

Condescending attitude aside, there's nothing wrong with having a preferred sound signature. "Neutrality" and "accuracy" have nothing to do with this argument; this is really about "sound signature I like" and "sound signature I don't like". If headphones do not or cannot provide a sound signature you enjoy, it's fine to say so. Most people will find the opinion helpful. Just be sure to express it in a way that doesn't insult people.

On the other hand, some of the responses were just as bad as the original post (the diagnosis of the OP with a personality disorder comes to mind).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back