There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #5,851 of 5,942
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Ultrasones and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I listen to mainly black metal, bands like Darkthrone and Inquisition, and drone/doom metal, bands like SunnO))), Earth, and Electric Wizard. I also listen to some folk metal, neofolk, blues rock, and trance.

I would love to get the 2900, but it is above my price range. What I'm really looking for is something similar to my AD900s but with better Bass, I love really tight well textured bass, and bright but forgiving highs. I think the pro900 would be a great choice but I'm worried about the sound stage with it, I've been spoiled by the AD900 and I would like to keep the airy sound if at all possible. Beyers seem too bright for me, Grados lack soundstage, and the other brands seem like they would be too boring, Is there an Ultrasone for me?

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #5,852 of 5,942
Been very happy with my HFI-580's but I'm at that point where I'm wondering what I missed from not getting the 780's.  Thinking about trading up seeking a, hopefully, larger sound-stage and more detail while maintaining a similar sound.  Are my assumptions correct?

Also, what would be considered the "baby" 900 pros, I would love to have the 900's but limited in $$ and even if I sell my 580's and FA-011's I'd still have quite a way to go.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5,853 of 5,942
Just tried my daughters Pro-750s on my setup.  I am amazed at how good they sound!  Soundstage and instrument separation are way better than i expected, but the bass was different than i am used to.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #5,854 of 5,942

Quote:
Been very happy with my HFI-580's but I'm at that point where I'm wondering what I missed from not getting the 780's.  Thinking about trading up seeking a, hopefully, larger sound-stage and more detail while maintaining a similar sound.  Are my assumptions correct?

What you're missing is just a touch more detail pickup (very, very slight) and much more treble, which I feel is too much given that the HFI-580 have already far-reaching treble as it is. Bass is lesser too.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #5,855 of 5,942
Hmm, I'll have to do some back to back demoing to see if the sound is something I'll like.  I feel the 580's have perfect acount of highs, any more and I could see it being pretty fatiguing, don't mind less bass but I guess the biggie for me is how s-logic/plus...or I just sell off my stuff and wait for a good deal on used pro900's 
dt880smile.png

Quote:

What you're missing is just a touch more detail pickup (very, very slight) and much more treble, which I feel is too much given that the HFI-580 have already far-reaching treble as it is. Bass is lesser too.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #5,856 of 5,942

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Ultrasones and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I listen to mainly black metal, bands like Darkthrone and Inquisition, and drone/doom metal, bands like SunnO))), Earth, and Electric Wizard. I also listen to some folk metal, neofolk, blues rock, and trance.

I would love to get the 2900, but it is above my price range. What I'm really looking for is something similar to my AD900s but with better Bass, I love really tight well textured bass, and bright but forgiving highs. I think the pro900 would be a great choice but I'm worried about the sound stage with it, I've been spoiled by the AD900 and I would like to keep the airy sound if at all possible. Beyers seem too bright for me, Grados lack soundstage, and the other brands seem like they would be too boring, Is there an Ultrasone for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultrasone-Proline-2500-headphones-excellent-condition-/270759524317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0a8677dd#ht_986wt_1139

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #5,857 of 5,942
I'm really looking for the best portable setup available that retains small form factor, pocket friendly.  I've narrowed it down the Hifiman HM601/Fuze V1 with rockbox and custom LOD and the Edition 8, but the portable amp is the problem I am running into.  Very few people seem to have experience with the edition 8 and good portable amps so the info is hard to obtain, I've posted for months with no replies to my topics about this so hopefully someone can help me.  

Im worried about the portable amp limiting the soundstaging qualities of the Ed8 and am not sure if Crossfeed is a good thing or a bad thing when comboed with the Eddy8...anyone have experience with the Headstage Arrow?  It seems like the best amp for them, seems like anything else is just a waste and overkill.  I'd love to know if anyone has used the edition 8 with a similar amp and the sansa fuze.  Any help or info is appreciated!

-mike  

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #5,858 of 5,942
I had a fuze and after doing a/b i gave it to my daughter before i got my Ed8.  I thought it was horrible but what ever.  I use the Ed8 with the HM-801 -> Pico amp only, regular not slim.  I have also used it with the Lisa lll and both work great, the Lisa is of course better but it is almost par with a good home amp.  I have an old RSA Hornet M here but can't recall if i have put it in line with my Ed8, it only gets use on long vacations due to the battery advantage of using alkaline instead of having to charge.  

I wouldn't worry about the amp thing, just buy a good portable amp and put it in line and don't think about it.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #5,859 of 5,942
Hey guys - 

I made a thread about this but I figure it's more fitting to post it here. I want to know what the sonic differences are between the HFI-700 vs. HFI-580. Which has more bass and/or better bass quality in your opinion? (I'm looking for quanity but of course good quality overall - no bloated bass but really powerful, punchy bass. More bass than say, the HD-25's/M50's) How do the mids and highs compare? Are the mids more recessed on the 580's for example?

I just got the HFI-700's a couple days ago from someone local. Scored a good deal. I've been looking for really good bass cans and read these were great with bass... but I'm not totally wowed by it. I'm still getting to know these cans though so I can't quite post major impressions at this point. They seem pretty balanced overall though, even though vocals sound slightly unnatural.

Anyway, any helpful input is welcomed. If you have experience with these cans, feel free to share your thoughts/opinions. Thanks in advance.

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #5,860 of 5,942
Quote:
I just got the HFI-700's a couple days ago from someone local. Scored a good deal. I've been looking for really good bass cans and read these were great with bass... but I'm not totally wowed by it.

Have you tried pushing them more down and forward on your head, more than you think they should be? Mine have a weird sweet spot around there where the bass opens up, the treble drops a little and they just sound "right", I don't know.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5,861 of 5,942
This seems to be the place to ask Ultrasone related questions so: I want a lower mid tier headphone that will have similar crystal highs as my Grados. Especially with female vocals, I like the voice to really cut through the rest. The hard part is, I want realistic but present bass (not bass-head powerful, but more-so than my modded Grados), and I need closed cans for in college, and I've been looking at the Ultrasone line. How would the HFI-680 and HFI-780 stack up? (source would most often be either a uDac2 or ipod classic (with cMoy or e11)

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #5,862 of 5,942
Quote:
This seems to be the place to ask Ultrasone related questions so: I want a lower mid tier headphone that will have similar crystal highs as my Grados. Especially with female vocals, I like the voice to really cut through the rest. The hard part is, I want realistic but present bass (not bass-head powerful, but more-so than my modded Grados), and I need closed cans for in college, and I've been looking at the Ultrasone line. How would the HFI-680 and HFI-780 stack up? (source would most often be either a uDac2 or ipod classic (with cMoy or e11)

I wouldn't recommend them for female vocals, they overpronounce sibilance a bit and add a little metallic edge to a lot of things.

The srh840 is actually really good for vocals, and it has the bass you're looking for, but the treble might be too rolled off for you. You could check out the Koss ProDJ and the KNS 6400 too, there's a member here who obsesses over female vocals and those are his favorites.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5,863 of 5,942
I might have to find a place to give them a listen, since I seem to like more treble than is normal (my theory is my tinitus raises the noisefloor around 1.5khz). I'll also try to find a place to listen to the shure's, but I have not yet been impressed with any "monitor" headphones (such as the m50 or the sony v6, which both sound nice, but a too clinical in sound). It looks like the Koss are available at bestbuy, perhaps I can give them a listen there, and I know the shure (but unfortunately not the ultrasone) is available at a hifi store in my area.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #5,864 of 5,942
Okay, if you thought m50's were clinical just skip the Shure's, they're not going to do it for you at all.

Finding something like a closed Grado is hard though, I was looking for something similar and the best thing I found was the Sennheiser HD-25 but I was too cheap for it. The 680 isn't that far off though, it has the same kind of attack and energy but it just doesn't have that forward grado midrange. If you can put up with that and some sibilance you might like it.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #5,865 of 5,942
Alright, it's between the Pro-DJ's and the Ultrasones. Time to test the Koss's at Best buy and if they aren't to my liking, hunt down a pair of Ultrasone's to try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back