There's Something About Ultrasone…
Mar 6, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #2,311 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The humidity from the closed headphones can sometimes help hardened earwax to begin to break free, and that can hurt till it comes off the inside of your ear all the way. I've had that experience a couple years ago. May be time for an ear cleaning? I hope you aren't getting any ear infection going on!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Bloody shoit!!! I clean my ears every day under the shower and when using an earstick (I don't know the real english name.) Poeh I sure hope I am not getting an infection!!! That probably means not wearing my beloved cans for a while....sniff sniff
mad.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #2,312 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bloody shoit!!! I clean my ears every day under the shower and when using an earstick (I don't know the real english name.) Poeh I sure hope I am not getting an infection!!! That probably means not wearing my beloved cans for a while....sniff sniff
mad.gif

Check this link to a post on using olive oil. It is just a list of google searches, but there it is all ready for you!

Terry

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #2,313 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif

I'm so sorry to hear you're having a bout of ear distress, Indra, I hope that it passes very soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

I realize that nobody's supposed to be posting here on the BIG thread anymore, since one or two people have declared it to be useless and over, and I have no doubt that we'll soon see another hysterical splinter thread entitled "PROline 750s Cause Painfully Impacted Ear Canals!!!" or some such, but it's nice to see you and Terry as always.
wink_smilie.gif

Hey, since off-topic has always been on-topic here, can you compile a list of your special expletives? I always get such a kick out of them! So to start off the glossary...

Contrastique Speak

Poeh
Bloody shoit!!!
Oehh
Woehoew!!!
Haha
Soundqual
Hihi
Euhhh nahh
Woew
Mmmhhh

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #2,315 of 5,942
I think you do have got them all Dex
icon10.gif
Never thought they would look so weird haha!

Thanx Terry for your input about my earproblem. Have lot's of olive oil in my home so that would be a succes I hope!!
Something I also noticed with for example a track from Charlotte Gainsbourg "Everything I cannot see" (and some other tracks where I don't recall the name of right now) the 750 puts the guitar in the beginning of the song in the right ear only. That made my ear tickle in an unpleasant way.
Can't feel it at the moment but would be due my ear-suffering.
That's the only and really they only thing that enoys me sometimes.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #2,316 of 5,942
Dear Dex,

You started this thread long ago and are probably the #1 poster here in terms of frequency. Besides awhile back you were proclaimed King of Ultrasonia. Personally, by imperial decree, I'd love to see this thread declared a humor safe zone, a place where good headphones and occassional humor are not considered incompatable. Maybe you could go back and edit your original post to give fair warning to all who enter here, that humor is tolerated and that it is a place where kindness and tolerance is extended to others.

Those who seem to need to impose their will on others have lot of other places they can go, so I for one invite them to go there. And if they stay here fine, but I for one feel no need to answer to or accomodate their desire for a sterile and humorless environment. I encourage others to consider adopting this same attitude.

And it is nice to talk a bit about Ultrasones too, so my next post will be all business.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #2,318 of 5,942
Terry, I am hoping that you will be willing to comment on something that you posted in another thread? See below:

"Terry's Long Post on Enjoyment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this comes through clear and is not taken as an insult to anybody. This is about enjoying your 2500's or 750's, or could be about any other headphone, I guess, in most ways.

This is coming as a reaction to what seems like a "king of the hill" sort of debate that's warming up in some quarters. No headphone is "the best", or the ultimate for all people. I hear totally opposite "impressions" concerning the bass, mids and highs expressed by people here stated as if they were final edicts of "this is what it is, folks." Geesh! The number of people here with damaged hearing must be very high, or else genetics has produced totally different hearing apparatus for many different people, if you are to believe some of these "impressions"! I feel like I'm from a different planet sometimes - can my hearing be THAT different from other people's? Gack! I really don't know what is really being heard and attempted to be described sometimes. A language issue? Gads, I feel like a computer repair guy listening to people asking about how much weight their "cup holder" can take sometimes... (heh.. a little rant!)

Anyway, I am a different animal - I'm an "audio professional" and have been in sound mixing, recording, sound-reinforcement and video for over 40 years. I have golden ears beyond what most people could hope to have, because they are trained to hear things - yes, actually trained - taught how to listen very closely and hear minute details in things, thanks to demanding mentors and lots of hard work. You just wouldn't believe what all sounds good to me after all these years. Just about everything! I enjoy listening to all kinds of music. (But, on the other hand, I know what might make it sound even better as well. That's "working", though!) I know technical details to levels of nerd-like proportions! I am new to audiophile headphones because, except for being used during tracking for levels and to make sure things are plugged in and working, my use of headphones has been non-critical at best and they have been always absolutely shunned for critical listening purposes, because that is just common knowledge in the pro world, that you never rely on headphones for mixing or critical mastering purposes. Headphones are (well, were) considered too inaccurate for that application.

Then I got an iPod, tried several headphones, quality became an issue. Got some Shure E4c's. Found this website. Got head-fi'd. My wallet doesn't have a say in this anymore!

Like Dex, I come from "speakerland". I got into the Proline 750, sure, eventually, as you all know... but this was after first getting good and used to listening to very good speakers: lots and lots of high quality studio monitors, and most recently, the Polk LSi series (which I own), which are compared with speakers costing ten times more by all audiophile magazine reviewers bar none.

I use a pair of LSi-9's as my main monitors and the LSi-7's as my near-field monitors. They share the same drivers, in particular a very sweet tweeter used in speakers costing $10,000.00 each. I personally am not going to ever need speakers that deliver the goods better than these do. For movies, the LSi-7's get moved into the rears' position.

I like my speakers! A lot!

My needs for a headphone were defined in advance and tailored by this sound: a sound accurate enough to use as a reference for mixing and for repairing other's mixes via mastering techniques. So, I knew what I would be searching for before I went headphone hunting - exactly! - but didn't expect to actually find anything I could use. Still, I embarked anyway. You never know!

As expected, nothing I read about other headphones was impressing me that they delivered anywhere near this kind of 'reference' sound I wanted. Then I run into some pro reviewers talking about these Ultrasone Proline items. "You're kidding me, you'd use these for mixing a final," I thought?!

A search on head-fi brought up Dex's thread early in its development, and that enticed me even more. I talked to the manager of our local pro music shop and he loved his older HFI-650 Trackmasters, and felt confident I would love the Proline 750s. He felt also that I could entrust these headphones to deliver excellent quality mixes - no kidding! I asked about his return policy anyway! He just smiled like he knew that wouldn't become an issue. He told me he was confident I would really be able to enjoy these headphones - they really were what I was looking for. OK!

All this preamble is for this: Present day - I listen to the reference Polk speakers. I put on the headphones. I take them off again and listen to the speakers again. I hear the same thing. That is what I need to hear - the same thing as I hear with my reference speakers. I need to hear the same effect of pushing 4k EQ or pulling a tad at 300. I do. If they were not the same, these headphones would be difficult at best for me to rely upon.

Now, I don't have to drag my Polks around with me to mix at different locations - I can bring along a reliable reference to a gig or to another person's location. My reference needs to be something that can be trusted, and that reference for me is my Proline 750's.

Now get this - my Polks cost $1200 for the LSi-9's, and $900 for the LSi-7's. The Proline 750's cost me $335. WOW! You can have reference sound for around 300 bucks! Portable reference sound! That is totally amazing, folks... it's like a gift from Ultrasone!

So, if you hear metallic highs, I'm telling you that is because metallic highs are in the source (the recording itself) or are being emphasized somewhere in the chain leading up to your headphones. Change your source, or compensate somehow otherwise for it. That's what EQ is there for. (It is not a sin to use it - that seems to be a religious issue in audiophile-land.)

If you only knew what a beating music takes before it gets into your system... there is no-way it sounds "like being there" - it is all art, the whole thing. And you, the audience, are part of that creation - you contribute your part to it, or it wouldn't be art. Via EQ, interconnects, tubes, op-amps, different speakers, headphones, room treatments, and finally, by just sitting back and enjoying it.

I think this factor is why so many people I know in the arts consider the word "enjoy" as being an active verb. It isn't passive like watching TV - the listener is, in this case, a participant - a participant in enjoyment.

The old hick sentiment expressed as, "I may not know art, but I know what I like," is more right-on than people give it credit for. The expression of "I like" is an active form of participation!

What I'm trying to say is that things counterintuitive - like this metallic sound coming as a result of what was carved away or removed in EQing the recording due to a common and oft overused practice in mixing - are little oft-made human errors made during mixing that show up worse on some systems than on others.

If human errors happen, they do not need to be lived with by not changing anything on your own end. A different headphone, EQ setting, or whatever as listed above is OK if it makes listening to it more enjoyable - if it makes you more able to enjoy the music. Enjoy as an active verb. Think about that.

Entice. Entrust. Enjoy. Enjoy your headphones. Enjoy your setup. Enjoy your music.

Terry"

Excellent post that I take at face value. Here is what I am curious about. You reference the 750 giving close to the same sound as your studio monitors. In my limited experience, studio monitors often show a much flatter frequency graph than the ones for the 750. Also recently I saw a frequency graph for a well known IEM that would seem to indicate that they had a pretty good bass, yet they are generally known for having a very weak bass (and that is certainly my experience in listening to them).

I am getting the idea that there is a mis-match between the graphs (at least in how they are commonly used on Head-fi) and what real users actually experience. It looks like the graphs are misrepresenting what takes place as a listening experience, or they are being used incorectly, or incomplete data is being given. Do you have any comments or clarification about this, especially as regards the Ultrasones?

(Now isn't that rather on point folks
icon10.gif
.)

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #2,319 of 5,942
Wow I am glad you posted that. I missed it where ever Terry posted it the first time.

I for one still love the big thread. If there are people who don't like it they can stay the hell out. This is Ultrasonia in here.

I have decided to run for office. I would like to officialy throw my hat in the ring for Minister Of Agriculture. I really thank I can grow stuff to make our listning expieriences better!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #2,320 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobayrasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I am glad you posted that. I missed it where ever Terry posted it the first time.

I for one still love the big thread. If there are people who don't like it they can stay the hell out. This is Ultrasonia in here.

I have decided to run for office. I would like to officialy throw my hat in the ring for Minister Of Agriculture. I really thank I can grow stuff to make our listning expieriences better!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Its a great post. That's why I thought it belonged here. It came from a thread you don't want to know about.

As Secretary of the Interior I only get high in the meditation garden, but whatever floats your boat.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #2,321 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Dex,

You started this thread long ago and are probably the #1 poster here in terms of frequency. Besides awhile back you were proclaimed King of Ultrasonia. Personally, by imperial decree, I'd love to see this thread declared a humor safe zone, a place where good headphones and occassional humor are not considered incompatable. Maybe you could go back and edit your original post to give fair warning to all who enter here, that humor is tolerated and that it is a place where kindness and tolerance is extended to others.

Those who seem to need to impose their will on others have lot of other places they can go, so I for one invite them to go there. And if they stay here fine, but I for one feel no need to answer to or accomodate their desire for a sterile and humorless environment. I encourage others to consider adopting this same attitude.

And it is nice to talk a bit about Ultrasones too, so my next post will be all business.

Laurence, your open letter is like a much-needed breath of fresh air amidst the rather stale rank of schadenfreude that appears to have been following all things Ultrasone recently around here.

I'm all for making the BIG thread an oasis apart from the thread-bullying, humorless sticky-beats who've begun slinking about, recklessly levying personal attacks and ridiculous, groundless charges of shill-dom, and generally attempting to browbeat the 50,000-strong Head-Fi membership to accede to their narrow-minded view of what this place "should be".

When I began this thread as a newbie request for information in November, I couldn't have imagined that it would evolve into such a beast as it has become. But evolve it has, and plenty of fine people have dropped in to check it out, share impressions and ideas, and, yes, even have a laugh or two.

And simmering in the background here is an overwhelming wealth of information available to anyone willing to dig in. Of course it's sprawling and inconvenient, but then again so is Head-Fi in the larger sense. But at least it's there.

As I wrote about a thousand or so posts back, I've come to view the BIG thread as a sort of free-flowing blog of all things Ultrasone. And, more importantly, this extends to the people interested in them, who are even more fascinating than mere equipment. So eff 'em if they can't take a joke!
tongue.gif

Of course this whole King of Ultrasonia business is just a byproduct of the silliness that can often ensue here, and I never campaigned for any such position (uneasy lies the head that wears the crown...). But I will accept King For A Day, it being my birthday and all!
dude.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #2,322 of 5,942
Nice way!! And for everyone not aware of its excistence: You can use the search function in this forum wich does make things much easier to find.
Indeed nice again reading that post from Terry.
And my Ultrasone King For one Day: Congrats with your birthday!!!! I just send you a kiss (on the cheeck haha) through the air so you'd better catch it!!
(or am I loosing topic again..? AAHHH Bloody Shoit!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back