Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6,166 of 12,550
I'm looking at how mine displays with the bars on the top and bottom and I don't like that much at all. Unfortunately, it'd be difficult to reflow the text portions if I cropped the sides to make it square. They'd overlap the figure and it would look wrong that way, too.

EDIT: Switched back to Sakaki and Maya for now. I'll figure something out later today for the Joker.

I hear ya - I'm also having trouble with text placement on my joker. I have 5 versions and I'm not in love with any of them. I like the picture, and I like the text, I'm just not loving the text on the picture... :xf_eek:

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #6,168 of 12,550
popcorn.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #6,169 of 12,550
Quote:
I've decided that at midnight GMT, I'm switching to July. 10 minutes to go...
biggrin.gif

I read this message with one minute to go just randomly sitting down at the computer and seeing if there were any new posts in the threads I follow. What are the odds of that?

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #6,172 of 12,550
Quote:
I went old school - the original actor to play The Joker - Cesar Romero!

I'm still not happy with the text...

The untrained designer in me thinks part of the problem is that the background of repeated ljokerl avatars affects the legibility of the text, which is unfortunate because the inclusion of the avatar is fundamental to how you're tying into the theme.

I'm not sure where else you'd put the avatars.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #6,173 of 12,550
The untrained designer in me thinks part of the problem is that the background of repeated ljokerl avatars affects the legibility of the text, which is unfortunate because the inclusion of the avatar is fundamental to how you're tying into the theme.

I'm not sure where else you'd put the avatars.

Being a design student (though only first year haha) i would say that the very vibrant colours of the text do not go well with the monotone colour theme of the picture, also it makes it very hard to read and an 'eyesore' which should always be avoided. I would suggest the text to be dark brown instead.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #6,174 of 12,550
Being a design student (though only first year haha) i would say that the very vibrant colours of the text do not go well with the monotone colour theme of the picture, also it makes it very hard to read and an 'eyesore' which should always be avoided. I would suggest the text to be dark brown instead.

Like this? I also increased the opacity slightly on the background.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #6,175 of 12,550
Like this? I also increased the opacity slightly on the background.

Yeah, its much easier on the eye now. Though im still wondering about the swirly allignment of the pic, but i'll leave that to you since it may be important to the idea of the pic. Also sorry for not reading earlier pages lol but what's the '|' for in the text?

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #6,176 of 12,550
We are honoring ljokerl in July. I used pipes instead of lower case L because I didn't feel like hunting for the correct font.

I think I kind of like this one:

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #6,177 of 12,550
Jun 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #6,179 of 12,550
It'd definitely improved. That color catches the ones above it, and the outline around the letters improves legibility. The only criticism now (and there's probably not much that can be done about this, what with those wavy letters) is that the distance between the top of the text and the bottom of the non-obscured portion of the picture is a bit small, so the words kind of fuse with the picture a bit. The middle hump gives the illusion of upward movement, but it kind of looks like the words have hit a ceiling.

It's certainly an improvement, though, and overall I like the ideas you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back