Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015
Sep 3, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #77 of 151
  wow, if this turns out to be legit information, then that was one stupid thief... //sorry for insulting if you read this :wink:

Well I hope they catch him, and yes let's hope he gets insulted :D

By the way it's pretty stupid to stole an Orpheus, it will be almost impossible to resell it unrecognized imho

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #79 of 151

Well I hope they catch him, and yes let's hope he gets insulted :D

By the way it's pretty stupid to stole an Orpheus, it will be almost impossible to resell it unrecognized imho

That, guys, is why I keep saying that this is quite possibly someone who seriously just wants it for his own listening purposes.  Because hwo could anyone who actually knows what the Orpheus IS, think that they'd be able to resell a stolen one and get away with it? *derp*
blink.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #81 of 151

yeah, at least after only a few days. how could this even work?

I can think of two other possibilities besides the one in my last post (that this was stolen for their own personal use).  First, that perhaps this guy is some kind of contract burglar (yes, that's a thing that really does exist, unfortunately) who was hired by an especially seedy audiophile to steal the Orpheus and some other high-end stuff FOR them, for a high price but still significantly lower than the typical price of the equipment.  Secondly, that they are simply planning to let it sit around for a few months until the hunt finally dies-down (or so they must hope will happen) before selling it.  Which probably still wouldn't work, though, since Sennheiser knows the specific serial-number of the HE90's that were stolen and only 300 of them were ever made.  Unless this thief is some kind of total moron, I suspect one of hte first two possibilities, that this is either for the thief's own personal use or for the use of someone who hired them to steal it.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #82 of 151

I can think of two other possibilities besides the one in my last post (that this was stolen for their own personal use).  First, that perhaps this guy is some kind of contract burglar (yes, that's a thing that really does exist, unfortunately) who was hired by an especially seedy audiophile to steal the Orpheus and some other high-end stuff FOR them, for a high price but still significantly lower than the typical price of the equipment.  Secondly, that they are simply planning to let it sit around for a few months until the hunt finally dies-down (or so they must hope will happen) before selling it.  Which probably still wouldn't work, though, since Sennheiser knows the specific serial-number of the HE90's that were stolen and only 300 of them were ever made.  Unless this thief is some kind of total moron, I suspect one of hte first two possibilities, that this is either for the thief's own personal use or for the use of someone who hired them to steal it.

I don't know, considering that some other gear was stolen too, I guess it was dumb luck. And that they might be sitting on it for a while.
Would be interesting if only Sennheiser stuff was stolen or if other things were taken too... IFA is a huge show, so maybe there were other targets too.

I know that this kind of contract burglars exist. have heard of it a few times now.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #83 of 151

I don't know, considering that some other gear was stolen too, I guess it was dumb luck. And that they might be sitting on it for a while.
Would be interesting if only Sennheiser stuff was stolen or if other things were taken too... IFA is a huge show, so maybe there were other targets too.

I know that this kind of contract burglars exist. have heard of it a few times now.

Good point that they stole other gear too.  But that still doesn't mean they may not have been hired to steal the Orpheus, specifically.  Once actually inside, they may have seen other stuff that looked valuable as well and decided to run off with it in addition to the Orpheus.

When are we going to be seeing a release of the serial-number of the stolen HE90's and a complete inventory of the stolen equipment?  Or has that already been released now and I missed the announcement while sleeping last night or something, in past pages of this thread?  Because the longer the wait before the release of such info, the less likely this community will be to be able to catch the thief, which is something we all agree we would love to help with however we can.  There's simply no excuse for such behavior among a community (audio enthusiasts, audiophiles, whatever we want to call ourselves) which depends on mutual respect and, even more importantly, trust, in order to thrive.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #84 of 151

Good point that they stole other gear too.  But that still doesn't mean they may not have been hired to steal the Orpheus, specifically.  Once actually inside, they may have seen other stuff that looked valuable as well and decided to run off with it in addition to the Orpheus.

When are we going to be seeing a release of the serial-number of the stolen HE90's and a complete inventory of the stolen equipment?  Or has that already been released now and I missed the announcement while sleeping last night or something, in past pages of this thread?  Because the longer the wait before the release of such info, the less likely this community will be to be able to catch the thief, which is something we all agree we would love to help with however we can.  There's simply no excuse for such behavior among a community (audio enthusiasts, audiophiles, whatever we want to call ourselves) which depends on mutual respect and, even more importantly, trust, in order to thrive.

the serial numbers are already released, see the first post in this thread, it has been edited.

yes, you're right, they could still have been hired to steal the Orpheus. they did get some pretty valuable cans, looking at the list of gear they have taken.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #86 of 151
Well okay. So it looks like they didn't just steal the Orpheus HE90 on their own, but also the Orpheus amp.  That tells us that we can be pretty damn sure this person didn't just break into the trailer and then impulsively grab whatever they could see: They knew EXACTLY what they were looking to take, and know EXACTLY what the Orpheus is.

And damn, some of the other stuff they took is just crazy. . .I mean not as expensive as the Orpheus, duh, but still, ****. . .HD800's, HD700's, IE-800s, and more!  Holy crap.  I didnt' realize they'd stolen THAT much stuff, that's just insane.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #87 of 151
  Poor Sennheiser. You will get over it :D. Just make another one and problem solved :D

Are. . .are you serious?  I really hope this guy isn't being serious, everybody.  Because I mean, come-on.  Do you have ANY IDEA of how much R&D, parts, and labor must have gone into producing the Orpheus HE90 and the amp that goes with it?  There's a good reason why they only made 300 of them!

Even if you ARE just joking, it's really not appropriate in this thread.  This crime is no laughing matter, dude.  They had TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars worth of equipment stolen, it's a frigging travesty and undermines the trust that is necessary for the audiophile community to continue to thrive.

Edit:

Hope the sennheiser account on reddit has received the message from this guy https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3jh3cs/i_think_ive_found_the_stolen_sennheiser_orpheus/

Only just now noticed this post.  Let's hope this is a legit tip, guys!  That would be awesome.  OP, have you seen this Reddit-post?  You Sennheiser folks DEFINITELY need to message the guy who posted it as soon as you possibly can!

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #88 of 151
  Mmm..whoah! Major theft...almost as serious as the Audeze caper. Question: with that many pieces of headfi equipment (4 hdvd800s??? What!), how were the thief(ves) able to cart it without getting noticed? Just wondering.

That's a very good question.

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #89 of 151
Edited.

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #90 of 151
  the serial numbers are already released, see the first post in this thread, it has been edited.

yes, you're right, they could still have been hired to steal the Orpheus. they did get some pretty valuable cans, looking at the list of gear they have taken.

If you have enough money to hire someone to steal something like that, isn't it likely that you'd be able to afford it in the first place?  They DO come up used now and then.  Is it THAT cheap to hire a thief that it would be worth doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back