The Zen of Fuze
May 12, 2008 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LoryWiv

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm deliberating between a Creative Zen and SanDisk Fuze. I like to keep my music on removable card (SDHC or MicroSDHC) so a low-capacity player is fine. Less interested in bells and whistles but I do value, in order of priority importance:

1) Sound Quality (DUH!)
2) Drag and Drop With Vista, no proprietary transfer software.
3) Works well with a portable amp. (I have a C&C Box + currently) with some DAP volume setting "simulating" true line out if none available.
4) Simple UI, to play off internal or card memory, display ID3 / song info. and album art but I don't really care about true video capability.
5) Charge from wall AC...as I store music on cards rarely need to plug it into PC so USB only charging option not optimal.
6) Price < $100 as I'd rather pay for removable storeage. if another similar player is truly superior, I'd try to scrape up more cash.

I know some favor the venerable Cowon D2 but I've heard that while terrifically powerful, it's sound isn't very refined / detailed which is what I prefer.

Suggestions / Ideas / Opinions?

May 12, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 6
1) The Fuze has better sound quality, in fact it's one of the better sounding DAPs out there.

2) The Zen is MTP, so it should work fine with drag and drop on Vista, but the Fuze can switch between MTP and MSC, so if for some reason MTP gives you trouble, it can be used on MSC, which read by any modern operating system.

3) Don't know that either is that well suited, not to sure on that subject. I guess ideally you'd want a line-out, but the Fuze does have a very clean headphone output, and good frequency response.

4) Fuze by a long shot. The SD slot on the Zen doesn't integrate with the internal library, and some functions for music are crippled if it's external. The MicroSD slot on the Fuze fully integrates with the music library.

5) Neither comes with a wall adapter, but I know you can at least use one with the Fuze, one that has a usb connection (just make sure it's standard in terms of power output, some might be too high), not sure on the Zen

6) Price is a little lower on the Zen, but not enough to offset the disadvantages it has compared to the Fuze in my opinion

As for what you've heard about the D2, I don't think that's accurate, but I do prefer the Fuze, especially for use with more sensitive phones, what kind of phones are you planning to use with the player you buy?

May 12, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Great info., thank you. I use some inexpensive JVC marshmellow IEM's at the gym, Sennheiser HD 280 Silvers at home, with the portable amp.

May 12, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 6
I know the Fuze makes a good pairing with the Marshmallows, for what it's worth.

May 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Cuba0555: I have the Marshmallows and the Clip, and I find that the bass seems to be slightly recessed.

Now, I could be a basshead (I do play bass), but it could also be that I listen mainly on the bus.

That being said, the Clip and my Senn MX70 or Clip and HTX7 sounds amazing. In actual fact, better SQ than out of my laptop... But that isn't saying much either.

I had the chance to also test the Zune4 while Microsoft reps were setting up the display for Zune in Futureshop in Richmond. I listened through through the marshmallows, and it sounded fine, but maybe higher-end phones might reveal some flaws.

The UI of the Zune is pretty good. I'm actually leaning more toward the Zune (flash versions) if you don't have high-end cans.

Then of course, the reviews of the HDD Zune is pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back