The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,081 of 5,722
How do you feel about your use of the AD797BR?  Reshift Rider says his headphones went beserk, I think that is probably good, but perhaps a little more description would be nice.  I am using Sennhieser 650's and love the sound of the stock ops, but am always looking for better.  Thanks, Don

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4,083 of 5,722
Quote:
How do you feel about your use of the AD797BR?  Reshift Rider says his headphones went beserk, I think that is probably good, but perhaps a little more description would be nice.  I am using Sennhieser 650's and love the sound of the stock ops, but am always looking for better.  Thanks, Don

Yeah, i should clarify a bit. Berserk is good :) I meant it as an overall improvement.
With AD797BR sound gained so much energy yet they improve a bit on the non-fatigue aspect of 49990. I find that amazing. If i was to say 49990 are detailed, neutral and clear then by comparison AD797BR are clinical (as someone in this or the opamp thread already put it perfectly). Soundstage is noticeably wider and deeper on AD797BRs and the sound is more "alive", like instruments were missing a dimension. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #4,084 of 5,722
Quote:

After reading the Adobe® Portable Document Format™ datasheet from Analog.com, dual AD797BR's on an adapter consistent with that required for dual National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LME49990MA's on any one of three dual-op-amp sockets on the XONAR® Essence™ ST and STX are a potential option; but the AD797BR goes one better by provisioning for compensating circuitry similar to that used with the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LM318AJ in broadband applications.  Any adapters available for dual 8-pin SOIC's to 8-pin DIP with integral provisions for surface-mount resistors and capacitors for that purpose?

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #4,085 of 5,722
Most you guys are into gaming, I am into music. I can't believe the STX still sells for $150.00 plus! I enjoy my headphones in my mustang now.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #4,086 of 5,722
Quote:

Hi guys! i'm looking for the best opamps for STX

I want them to increase,

Clarity, details, soundstage, (3D) depth, dynamics, and a bit low end or can be same like with the default ones.

What is the best pick?

IMO... a pair of LME49720NA did it for me. 

Oh hell no - try something better, they are crap IME 

AD797 is a good choice but its not exactly smooth, treble can be a bit much with AKG's which are analytical. But for al ofthat and smoothness - THS4032 without a doubt. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,087 of 5,722
Quote:
I'm using headphone out because i don't have proper desktop amp at the moment (i only change opamps in IV position)
First i went from stock to LME49720 and there was noticeable improvement in terms of clarity, details and soundstage. There was a loss in bass quantity but increase in quality.

Then went from 49720 to 49990 (bought them from frugalphile) and improvement was even bigger. Not only there was even more details, but the sound was smoother (less fatigue).
This time bass also gained some quantity back. Imaging and sound separation in particular were exceptional.

Then went from LME49990 to AD797BR (bought them from audjade_chn) two weeks ago.
My Q701 went completely berserk. One would call this an out-of-head experience. I don't know what to say really, its that kind of sound that shuts you up and you just want to listen to music :)

Take my money, sir!

You just sold me on these amps. Never messed around with my soundcard before, or amps for that matter, so we'll see how bad I fumble it up when I get my AD797BRs in a week or so. Looking forward to hearing how my Qs like them.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #4,088 of 5,722
 I know there's some skilled people on this site, even programmers. Has anyone managed to hack or tweak the STX drivers to allow the volume knob to be adjusted via scroll wheel instead of clicking it and dragging it clockwise/counterclockwise? Is this even possible? I have been hoping that Asus would add this capability in an update.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4,089 of 5,722
Quote:
 I know there's some skilled people on this site, even programmers. Has anyone managed to hack or tweak the STX drivers to allow the volume knob to be adjusted via scroll wheel instead of clicking it and dragging it clockwise/counterclockwise? Is this even possible? I have been hoping that Asus would add this capability in an update.

How about download a hotkey application of sorts, make:
mouse wheel up = vol up
mouse wheel down = vol down

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #4,090 of 5,722
Got the ST, install went nice, drivers are the latest from asus. Set to hifi mode and lowest gain setting.

Initial listening test is what I expected. Better than onboard, nice headphone control.

Had a glitch: During playing a 44.1 192 classical music during a very quiet passage file I wrongly read the sampling rate as 192 and switched the cards output to that. Noticed my mistake and switched back to 44.1. I got pure digital noise at MAX volume. Not music, or distorted music but pure noise. I seriously was totally shocked and threw my headphones off and ripped out the cable (In the office with Senn PX-100 II). That REALLY hurt my ears. It was max 1.5 seconds before reaction to throw them off. Can't hear high frequencies all that good right now. Still in total shock. Glad I am not at home with a different can or even worse, my stereo setup. Holy cow. Probably would have instantly blown the tweeters. I'm pretty scared to set it up now at home...

Seems the headphones are ok. Tentatively listening at really low volume right now. Still hurts to listen to music. Shock is slowly wearing off.

Anyone ever had this experience? Tried search but couldn't find anything vie headfi or google.

:frowning2:

Ouch. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #4,091 of 5,722
Quote:
Got the ST, install went nice, drivers are the latest from asus. Set to hifi mode and lowest gain setting.

Initial listening test is what I expected. Better than onboard, nice headphone control.

Had a glitch: During playing a 44.1 192 classical music during a very quiet passage file I wrongly read the sampling rate as 192 and switched the cards output to that. Noticed my mistake and switched back to 44.1. I got pure digital noise at MAX volume. Not music, or distorted music but pure noise. I seriously was totally shocked and threw my headphones off and ripped out the cable (In the office with Senn PX-100 II). That REALLY hurt my ears. It was max 1.5 seconds before reaction to throw them off. Can't hear high frequencies all that good right now. Still in total shock. Glad I am not at home with a different can or even worse, my stereo setup. Holy cow. Probably would have instantly blown the tweeters. I'm pretty scared to set it up now at home...

Seems the headphones are ok. Tentatively listening at really low volume right now. Still hurts to listen to music. Shock is slowly wearing off.

Anyone ever had this experience? Tried search but couldn't find anything vie headfi or google.

:frowning2:

Ouch. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx-virtual-7-1-channels-pci-express-interface-124-db-snr-headphone-amp-card#wiki

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #4,093 of 5,722
Report: Works. Installed new drivers over existing drivers - ok like this? Seems to me sound is a bit more mid/low range now? I *THINK* I am hearing some bass distortion now. :/ Using WASAPI in Foo at 48, Win output dev at 48 24b, ASUS control at 48. <-- Probably just me?

Bug: Recieving windows sounds or skype sounds gives an audible "pop" during music playback. Is this normal? Sorry - I am a "noob" at pc soundcards.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #4,094 of 5,722
Quote:
Report: Works. Installed new drivers over existing drivers - ok like this? Seems to me sound is a bit more mid/low range now? Using WASAPI in Foo at 48, Win output dev at 48 24b, ASUS control at 48. <-- Probably just me?

Bug: Recieving windows sounds or skype sounds gives an audible "pop" during music playback. Is this normal? Sorry - I am a "noob" at pc soundcards.

sometimes happens, I switched to ASIO and that stopped it, seems to be luck of the draw, bu its better if you uninstall both, download "Driver Sweeper",restart, clean your pc, restart, again, and then install uni drivers

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #4,095 of 5,722
Quote:
sometimes happens, I switched to ASIO and that stopped it, seems to be luck of the draw, bu its better if you uninstall both, download "Driver Sweeper",restart, clean your pc, restart, again, and then install uni drivers

Ok, since I will be taking it home and installing it there, I have a clean install on the way. Thank you for your help dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back