The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #32 of 5,721
they set L and R at 76% in the control panel mixer, increasing it to 100% is in good order? and disable SW/CD of course, I'll try 0dB test tones tomorrow.

and is it like the 49720 take a while to burn in? coz they sounded muffled and simply terrible when I first popped 'em in!
eek.gif

I put back the stock amps, it sounds way better

also, I've read some ppl saying that the PLL jitter was very much audible
confused.gif

so I've put everyone under passive cooling, the card gets really hot anyway..

May 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #33 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here it's A8N-SLI Deluxe. I have all the multipliers and frequencies on stock.

Possibly bad card?
Can you test it in another system?

May 16, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #34 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I failed to boot up properly the first few times after I installed my card. However, I figured it was due to my machine being overclocked and in particular the system bus. After I lowered it back to default (and later back up a bit) it's been it's usual rock stable self.

the card definitely doesn't like o/c PCI-E bus, it's a "100MHz or nothing" kind of deal
mad.gif

if it's o/c, it simply doesn't show up in the device manager, and the drivers give Please plug in "ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio" and install driver again. at the installation.

May 16, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #35 of 5,721
why on the earth would you oc the pci-e? to get 3 additional frames from GPU? mine gets hot too, but i don't give a damn as long as it runs.

May 16, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #36 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possibly bad card?
Can you test it in another system?

Yup, I've had it in another system for a couple of months running absolutely OK in the third PCI-E x16 slot of a nForce 790i Motherboard.

@leeperry

I have absolutely no observations of excessive heat with this card. Even sitting on the very next slot to a 9800gx2, it keeps relatively cool.

May 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #37 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why on the earth would you oc the pci-e? to get 3 additional frames from GPU? mine gets hot too, but i don't give a damn as long as it runs.

Well, the PCI-E wasn't oc'd but I figured the MB was stressed enough that the additional load of the Essence brought it over the limit somehow. In any case, lowering system bus values fixed it, so no need to worry any more.

May 16, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #38 of 5,721
my system bus is OCed too, i haven't had problem with that so far. however, i did have problem with 'Cool & Quiet' enabled. sound got stuck in repeating loop for a second or two whenever cpu multiplier had changed. it stopped when i updated the bios.

May 16, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #39 of 5,721
so you guys keep L and R at 76% in the control panel mixer ? I was told that the 49720 take 3 days to burn in..yikes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

mobo limitation. my GA-P31-DS3L raises the PCI-E bus speed >350Mhz FSB...and I found the PC snappier at 8*415 than at 9*369. but anyway, the card is not detected if the PCI-E is not 100Mhz(which is understandable)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lowering system bus values fixed it, so no need to worry any more.

did you run Intel Burn Test? if you can run this for 10 passes...nothing will ever crash your box.

May 16, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #40 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you run Intel Burn Test? if you can run this for 10 passes...nothing will ever crash your box.

Yeah, I've run Intel BurnTest with calibrated temp sensors and even though it's getting darn hot it's still within safe bounds. I've got a (with quiet fans) well equipped Thermaltake V9 case and the CPU cooled by a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and 2 Scythe Slipstream 1200 rpm (with fan control to make them virtually inaudible).

On a side note, I'm contemplating switching out the opamps since I think my DT150's lack a bit of air coupled with the stock Essence. Still haven't played them 200 hours though, so I'm holding off on that. Things are probably good enough for me as they are, also. I'm not a hardcore audiophile and my ears might start to be the limit - and then, music comes first after all.

May 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #41 of 5,721
I have some plain 4562, might try them over the 49720
smily_headphones1.gif

but it's not easy to take off/in these darn op-amps, don't wanna run the risk of breaking a leg...besides SQ is stellar already
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #44 of 5,721
sound is really distorted in max gain, I guess these are for 2000Ω headphones or sumthing
biggrin.gif

in fact, volume is OK w/ lowest gain but it's not properly driven...mid impedance at 9 o'clock works like a charm, the PRAT is pretty intense...the Travel The Galaxy CD from Ed Rush & Optical is just constant head bouncing
rock.gif

still dubious about L/R set at 76% in the drivers, though
redface.gif

May 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #45 of 5,721
Is it 110 % guaranteed that bit perfect will become available? Also curious how well the DDL Live works? don´t work all the well on my Elite PRO but then it´s not officially supported either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back