The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3,947 of 5,722
Quote:
I am keen to know what settings you guys use for Gain if you have the Sennhiser HD650's?

Also any EQ Settings or other things you recommend when it comes to listening to pop etc?

I'm guessing you could use the STX's mid and high gain setting with the Senn HD650.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3,948 of 5,722
Hey guys. I currently have the STX RCA outputs connected to my Little Dot MKIII. I'd like to permanently leave my AD700s plugged into the headphone out, so that I can utilize dolby headphone when I'm gaming. What is the best method for easily switching between RCA/headphone out without having to input settings each time?

Many thanks!! 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3,949 of 5,722
Quote:
Hey guys. I currently have the STX RCA outputs connected to my Little Dot MKIII. I'd like to permanently leave my AD700s plugged into the headphone out, so that I can utilize Dolby Headphone when I'm gaming. What is the best method for easily switching between RCA/headphone out without having to input settings each time?

I believe your stuck with "having to input settings each time"

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,950 of 5,722
Do you know "EssenceToggle"? It's a tool which alows you to toggle between RCA and headphone out by clicking ctrl-alt-s or what ever you want to.

https://sites.google.com/site/essencetoggle/home

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #3,952 of 5,722
Nice find on the essence toggle, works great.  Thank you.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3,953 of 5,722
You're very welcome :)

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3,954 of 5,722
Out of interest, why would you use RCA cables from the back of the Essence? I have Toslink to my Z5500 and use the dedicated 6.3mm headphone jack for my HD650's which I think is the optimal configuration correct?

Without optical you can't get 5.1 from the Z5500's but the downside is that it uses the Z5500 decoder which isn't ideal for plugging headphones into? 

Do I have this correct?

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,955 of 5,722
Quote:
Out of interest, why would you use RCA cables from the back of the Essence? I have Toslink to my Z5500 and use the dedicated 6.3mm headphone jack for my HD650's which I think is the optimal configuration correct?

Without optical you can't get 5.1 from the Z5500's but the downside is that it uses the Z5500 decoder which isn't ideal for plugging headphones into? 

Do I have this correct?

Definitely. You're spot on. The Z5500's little control pod has a really lame headphone out on it. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #3,956 of 5,722
Hi,

I'm willing to change the default op-amps from the buffer and i/v section.

I requested some samples from TI and LT , 2xOPA2107AP and 2xLT1057ACN8.(will arrive in some time)

As I read from the previsious post, the best combination is LME49720HA in the buffer and 2x LT1057ACN8 in the I/V section.

But I don't want to jump on buying the LME49720HA (yet) , want to use the following combinations:  1 x OPA2107AP in BUFFER and 2x LT1057ACN8 in I/V section or vice-versa, 1 LT1058ACN8 in buffer and 2 x OPA2107AP in I/V section, can somebody test this setups for me , ROB you have the knowledge and I saw that you have them , can you check ? .... thanks.

Also if you have some cans below <60Ohms impedance, I have the ATH-50s , you know that those have 38Ohms.

I'm seeking natural sound, balanced, with a lot of details, great soundstage ... this are missing from my card now.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,957 of 5,722
Quote:

Do I have this correct?

Actually if you have the ST the best would be to get the daughter board and feed the Z5500 with ALL the channels from the ST, since the DAC is much better. 
But as for the headphones, bingo.
Quote:
Hi,

I'm willing to change the default op-amps from the buffer and i/v section.

I requested some samples from TI and LT , 2xOPA2107AP and 2xLT1057ACN8.(will arrive in some time)

As I read from the previsious post, the best combination is LME49720HA in the buffer and 2x LT1057ACN8 in the I/V section.

But I don't want to jump on buying the LME49720HA (yet) , want to use the following combinations:  1 x OPA2107AP in BUFFER and 2x LT1057ACN8 in I/V section or vice-versa, 1 LT1058ACN8 in buffer and 2 x OPA2107AP in I/V section, can somebody test this setups for me , ROB you have the knowledge and I saw that you have them , can you check ? .... thanks.

Also if you have some cans below <60Ohms impedance, I have the ATH-50s , you know that those have 38Ohms.

I'm seeking natural sound, balanced, with a lot of details, great soundstage ... this are missing from my card now.

Arg.... LME49720 is nasty, even TI admitted it has flaws, works well as a buffer, but really lacks bass.

I have tried LT1057ANC8, not impressed, was awesum for a while, here is my short review I wrote a while back

by the way buffer does not affect headphone jack.

AKG K242HD:

[size=medium]
  1. Sound Signature: naturaly Smooth and tight, loses some detail due to not being as dynamic, slightly oldschool feal?
    1. Does not like medium or low quality files (256kb mp3 and lower)
      1. reveals clipping issues and artifacts in MP3s(subpar files) very easily
      2. not good to pair with analytical phones
    2. Naturally smooth (doesnt artificially smoothen or sharpen), also it doesn't tame naturally harsh recordings
    3. wonderful resonances especially on the entire drum kit (atleast wonderful for a start)
    4. warm and cold: as need be
    5. very good at detail retrieval (a bit of an oxymoron)
    6. After burn in becomes much more involving
    7. a bit of noise.
  2. Bass: not overpowering, tight with good impact, maybe a bit slow, and distorts easily?
  3. Mids: perfect balance, but resonates like hell
  4. Highs: smooth and tight, pleasant
  5. Soundstage: medium, smaller then the JRC, good imaging
  6. Speed: fast but appears slow due to slight lack of dynamics
  7. clarity test: 6/10
  8. Listening time: 300min+ depending on songs, avoiding dynamic complex songs.
[/size]

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,958 of 5,722
Quote:
Arg.... LME49720 is nasty, even TI admitted it has flaws, works well as a buffer, but really lacks bass.

I have tried LT1057ANC8, not impressed, was awesum for a while, here is my short review I wrote a while back

by the way buffer does not affect headphone jack.

AKG K242HD:

[size=medium]
  1. Sound Signature: naturaly Smooth and tight, loses some detail due to not being as dynamic, slightly oldschool feal?
    1. Does not like medium or low quality files (256kb mp3 and lower)
      1. reveals clipping issues and artifacts in MP3s(subpar files) very easily
      2. not good to pair with analytical phones
    2. Naturally smooth (doesnt artificially smoothen or sharpen), also it doesn't tame naturally harsh recordings
    3. wonderful resonances especially on the entire drum kit (atleast wonderful for a start)
    4. warm and cold: as need be
    5. very good at detail retrieval (a bit of an oxymoron)
    6. After burn in becomes much more involving
    7. a bit of noise.
  2. Bass: not overpowering, tight with good impact, maybe a bit slow, and distorts easily?
  3. Mids: perfect balance, but resonates like hell
  4. Highs: smooth and tight, pleasant
  5. Soundstage: medium, smaller then the JRC, good imaging
  6. Speed: fast but appears slow due to slight lack of dynamics
  7. clarity test: 6/10
  8. Listening time: 300min+ depending on songs, avoiding dynamic complex songs.
[/size]

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

In this review do you reffer to LT1057ACN8 ?

As for the buffer, I know that the cans do not require the buffer , I intend to use the line/s-pdif out also in the near distant future.

I find hard to believe that some guys from here that tested this op-amp (LT1057ACN8) and found the most suitable in their setup. (not every human ear is the same, but what the heck)

Anyway , then what op-amp is suitable in the I/V section ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back