The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #3,902 of 5,722
Quote:
read the WIKI and set everything up correctly. 

By using 24bit, you negate the loss incurred by lowering the volume. Just don't push the volume over 76%, and set the gain to what ever works best, so for IEMs - low gain.

Thanks. I've followed the wiki and I have a couple of questions. 

Point 2 says "Set windows output to 2channel 24bit/48kHz" , then in point 7 it says "(Only for WASAPI - not ASIO) right click the Sound/Speaker icon in the taskbar, go to "Playback Devices", double click on "Speakers/Headphones", go to the "Advanced" Tab, set the default format to 24bit, 48kHz." Doesn't this make point 2 redundant? Or am I supposed to set these settings in two separate places?       

"control volume via system volume (76% maximum to avoid dynamic limiting)."  but ASIO prevents me from using system volume, and seems to just pump the sound out at 100%!?

Should I set to 48kHz in the Xonar audio controls too?

Thanks again!

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #3,904 of 5,722
Quote:
I will test your claims

report back

Quote:

Thanks. I've followed the wiki and I have a couple of questions. 

Point 2 says "Set windows output to 2channel 24bit/48kHz" , then in point 7 it says "(Only for WASAPI - not ASIO) right click the Sound/Speaker icon in the taskbar, go to "Playback Devices", double click on "Speakers/Headphones", go to the "Advanced" Tab, set the default format to 24bit, 48kHz." Doesn't this make point 2 redundant? Or am I supposed to set these settings in two separate places?       

"control volume via system volume (76% maximum to avoid dynamic limiting)."  but ASIO prevents me from using system volume, and seems to just pump the sound out at 100%!?

Should I set to 48kHz in the Xonar audio controls too?

Thanks again!

It is redundant, with some versions of the drivers system volume control acts like a global control, changing the player volume too.

And its just a further explanation of how to set windows output. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3,905 of 5,722
Hello everyone! I'm interested in having a go at swapping OPamps in my STX and while I know how to, from past experience, I don't know what works. I've had some rather bad experiences at choosing OPamps, so bad that I almost baked a card. I think I put a AD797 or LME4910NA in a place that it didn't agree with... =(

Now, I want to know what works before I get stuck into it again. Can anyone suggest me OPamps and the best place to put them, assume that I've only using the headphone out? Would it be in the I/V stage?

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3,906 of 5,722
If you only need the headphone out, then you will need 2 OpAmps for the buffer slots. For my past experience, the LME49860NA worked best so far. But i'm waiting for two AD8620BR which i expect to be better...

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #3,907 of 5,722
Okay, so I assume that the OPAmps that go in the buffer slots need to be the same? I need to ask this just in case I do something stupid. Also, how on earth are you running a T1 on and STX? I heard that wasn't possible.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #3,908 of 5,722
Exactly, I/V's have to be the same, buffer may differ (or be the same also).

The Beyer T1 with my STX is a really damn hot combination. why should't that be possible?
STX supports headphones with max. 600 Ohms, so no Problem there at all :)

...still i'm looking hardly forward to my WA2 :)

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,909 of 5,722
Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm interested in having a go at swapping OPamps in my STX and while I know how to, from past experience, I don't know what works. I've had some rather bad experiences at choosing OPamps, so bad that I almost baked a card. I think I put a AD797 or LME4910NA in a place that it didn't agree with... =(

Now, I want to know what works before I get stuck into it again. Can anyone suggest me OPamps and the best place to put them, assume that I've only using the headphone out? Would it be in the I/V stage?

Six LME49990 SOIC chips mounted on to 3 Dual SOIC to DIP-8 adapters.
Presoldered and ready to install, cost about $60, seller on eBay is Frugalphile.

Six AD797BR SOIC chip also mounted.
Ebay sellers name is China Jade, or Cha_jade, something like that.
Price around $35.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #3,910 of 5,722
Quote:
Six LME49990 SOIC chips mounted on to 3 Dual SOIC to DIP-8 adapters.
Presoldered and ready to install, cost about $60, seller on eBay is Frugalphile.

Six AD797BR SOIC chip also mounted.
Ebay sellers name is China Jade, or Cha_jade, something like that.
Price around $35.

Just a question PurpleAngel, why do I need six of each? I thought the STX only had 3 swappable OPamps? If it's for the Essence One, I can understand as that thing has lots and lots replaceable slots.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3,911 of 5,722
Quote:

Just a question PurpleAngel, why do I need six of each? I thought the STX only had 3 swappable op-amps? If it's for the Essence One, I can understand as that thing has lots and lots replaceable slots.

The three op-amps used in the STX/ST are dual channel op-amps.
The LME49990 and AD797BR are single channel op-amps.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3,912 of 5,722
tongue_smile.gif

Oh! Is that so? I had no idea. Okay, now that makes sense.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,914 of 5,722
Quote:
The three op-amps used in the STX/ST are dual channel op-amps.
The LME49990 and AD797BR are single channel op-amps.

But since he will be using the headphone out, he only needs 4 of them (for I/V) since buffer isn't used.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #3,915 of 5,722
Quote:
But since he will be using the headphone out, he only needs 4 of them (for I/V) since buffer isn't used.

Very true, I just like the idea of having all op-amps match on the STX/ST,
Never know if in the future the card might be used with speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back